• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Favorite utility vehicle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gomez

Reaction score
On four tires not four legs - JD gator, Arctic cat prowler or Kubota - anyone have a favorite or one that they have had bad luck with? We have more 4 legged utility vehicles coming soon, but 4 tire models are handy too. Anyone have a RTV 1100 kubota diesel with a cab and use it in the winter? I know the 4 legged ones go up in value the more you use them which is the opposite with the 4 tire alternatives - none the less gotta have one.

Gomez said:
On four tires not four legs - JD gator, Arctic cat prowler or Kubota - anyone have a favorite or one that they have had bad luck with? We have more 4 legged utility vehicles coming soon, but 4 tire models are handy too. Anyone have a RTV 1100 kubota diesel with a cab and use it in the winter? I know the 4 legged ones go up in value the more you use them which is the opposite with the 4 tire alternatives - none the less gotta have one.

We like Polaris Rangers and have had good luck with them. They are smooth riding, have a bench seat for three people, and can haul a thousand pounds of cargo. In a few minutes, I will go hop on one and mobile out through the heavy cows. Without a cab or windshield, and with a handheld spotlight, it is very easy to get a good fast look at the bunch and get back in the house to again monitor Ranchers.net. :wink:

Faster horses said:
If you don't have a Scout II 4x4, you haven't lived!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen nothing like an old Cornbinder. I used to chase chicks in a 73, 1/2 ton pickup.

I don't like the Bobcat utv. If they have a diesel they are extremely loud, they are slow and have clutch problems. I am not a polaris fan either. The newest polaris that I have driven was a 07 model. They may have improved them since then, but didn't have good luck with them. Most of the people I know who have a polaris have had it in the shop more than on the ranch. I know several people that like the Yamaha Rino.

Our chiropractor bill is larger than our fuel bill in the new elplaino janeo dodge 3/4 ton bouncing across good Sask highways and frozen cow turds (and its not that good on fuel) We need something a little smoother at home and then something else on the road.

i really like my 94 chevy tracker (suzuki sidekick) with the 2 piece removable hard top. have used it for a calf warmer, electric fencing vehicle, and just about every thing else. it will go through more snow than a quad plus it has cab and heat. cheaper to buy and fix than a UTE and only slightly larger can also take it to town a truly great machine!!

Gomez said:
Our chiropractor bill is larger than our fuel bill in the new elplaino janeo dodge 3/4 ton bouncing across good Sask highways and frozen cow turds (and its not that good on fuel) We need something a little smoother at home and then something else on the road.

Save fuel and hook up your new team. :lol:

Great fencing rig. :D

We got a older 4x4 Nissan Pathfinder and it is good in the pasture and on the highway.

Well, I'm already back from my exhilirating Polaris Ranger ride. Everything looked pretty peaceful except for two cows claiming the same calf. One was the bonafide owner, and the other was calving. The Ranger was maneuverable enough that I was able to get the two cows separated, and then ki-yi the imposter through two gates where she is now locked away from the real mother and child. The darn little motorized outfits are quite handy, even if they aren't very authentically "cowboy". I am old enough and lazy enough to just get things done as easily as possible. :? :roll:

Polaris rangers work good here as horses. We are a little wussier than Soapweed as they are equipped with cabs and one with a heater. Usually only use one door for easy access. The other door and heater only go on during really cold temps.

I have the artic cat prowler I have been very happy with it. Like soapweed I use mine to go out and buzz around the cows to check on very handy. I also use mine to do most of my fencing in the mountain country. The only thing I don't like about is the gear shift handle I have broken mine off twice they need to change the location and put it up on the dash board like the polaris .

hayguy said:
these little mini-trucks would also be worth looking into, 4wd and 50+ mpg
plus they can be road legal.

I have been a passenger in one of those and really liked it. The only problem for me as the driver is that my 6'4" is not conducive to being able to use the clutch in the single cab. Apparently there are club cabs available and one could move the seat back. They are tough.

I have a Suzki Sidekick. Will go about anywhere, other then over a soapweed at an idle. I can get aver a 1000 pounds of cargo, seats 3 with 2 dogs in the back seat. :D And I am willing to bet it will get better mileage in the hills then any of the ATVs. Also have a 4 wheeler, not even sure what breed it is, that gets about 200 miles a year. I use it mainly for fencing in the canyons. Pull a little trailer with it, until the trailer gets tired, and lays down.
Gotta say though, the horses get more miles per year, then the other 2 combined.

My 08 ranger has a windshield and roof. With the heat coming from the engine underneath your butt it keeps you plenty warm plus you don't get soaked if you get caught in the rain. Its perfect for about any task, from herding cows to hunting. We don't run cows with it, but every now and then its nice to be able to outrun a cow that's turned back. The polaris has plenty of speed and acceleration.

My dad's 09 is a crew with a full steel cab and I'm not a big fan. Feels like your driving a bus. Way to big to cut a cow off and hard to see out of checking cows at night. The cab is made by polaris and is supposed to be pretty nice but it squeaks so much you can't hear your passenger.

They are expensive to fix though. $380 for a new right front driveshaft and over $700 for a main drive belt and pulley work.
DSC00038.jpg

IMG_20101007_124629.jpg

Holes in the bed rail are perfect for a wire spool

We have the Kubota 900 diesel and it's been a great machine. I am thinking about the 4x4 mini truck right now and will probably go that route in addition to the Kubota. The mini truck's are cheaper than a new side by side and the heater and AC are standard on a lot of them. As I understand it the payload is only around 1000# and some even have a dump bed. Haven't looked at them real close yet but intend to next month.

We have the Kubota 900 diesel and it's been a great machine. I am thinking about the 4x4 mini truck right now and will probably go that route in addition to the Kubota. The mini truck's are cheaper than a new side by side and the heater and AC are standard on a lot of them. As I understand it the payload is only around 1000# and some even have a dump bed. Haven't looked at them real close yet but intend to next month.

I hate to differ Per but the only thing just as handy at working cows as a horse is another horse-two friends got buried trying to be quad cowboys last year and one will never feed himself again. Side by sides and quads are great for fencing and buzzing around having a look but it's best for all involved including the cows to not try and do more with them then they were intended for.

Latest posts