• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Favourite books?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

For the LOTR followers, you might like to read Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" if you have not yet done so. It is some fairly heavy mythology that pre-dates the LOTR trilogy. Some beautiful imagery in it. Has anyone read it?

Kato, that LOTR "Trivial Pursuit" sounds pretty interesting! Next time I'm up through Manitoba . . .

When I was in the logging business, we would shut things down between Christmas and New Years. The heaviest work I did through that season was re-read the LOTR series, year after year after year. Those were the days.

For sci-fi lovers, I really enjoyed reading Frank Herbert's "Dune" series. Some good, far out action with a fair dab of education in principles.

If you like stories with an African culture flavour, pick up Wilbur Smith's novels which depict both the nice and the not-so nice side of the colonies returning to indigenous rule. Warning: can get pretty graphic.

I just finished reading Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". It is a look at his concentration camp experience from a psychologist's (which he was) perspective. An excellent insight into human nature.

And then there's . . . well, thank God for books!

MLA I've read the simarillon at times it was pretty hard reading at other times very fascinating. I can read anything as long as it is written well ,my way of traveling the world without leaving my easy chair Or getting thirsty or injured. Which is the first sign of adventure,
When I was growing up we didn't have TV we worked from can see to can't see so reading was an escape for me, still is, even though I have a satellite tv system now [ mostly for watching football, old western movies and the history channel] . I much prefer a book that way I can set the characters in my mind how I think they should be. I wasn't very impressed with the movies of the Lord of the rings series' Cold Mountai n,Lonesome Dove, and the biggest disappointment was crossfire trail they didn't even come close to following the book. Probably the best movie that follows the book pretty close is Conagher with Sam Elliot in it.

I liked the movies, especially the extended versions. They were as good as it was possible to be without making them into a 100 hour series. :shock: I remember sitting at the theater watching the opening sequence in the Fellowship of the Ring, and thinking "These people know the story, and will respect it." Once I knew that, I could relax and enjoy them. I will admit I was pretty worried before it started. :?

I know they played with the story a bit, but that's OK. There were lots of time that the dialogue came straight from the book too. (I guess only a geek would know that at the time eh?)

As for S. King, one of my favourites was Ghost Story. It's one of the few books I've ever read that gave me nightmares, and I wasn't a kid at the time either!

Susan Howatch writes some pretty interesting stuff along the lines of psychology/spirituality/Christianity. Yeah, I know, a rather unusual mix, but I think she does a respectable job in a realm where few dare try to find the real connection between them all.

I would challenge anyone who has wondered how the demonstration of Jesus' power over demons correlates to our times, to read her stuff. Her books are not hard reading.

Stienbeck's "East Of Eden" now it has to have the most evil villian of any book I have read.....
then Tolkien's" The Hobbit". A few years ago the wife was reading my old copy to the kids , we were in a hallway at the eye doctors. Everybody smiled as they walked by. Then just before we started taking turns to get our eyes tested a old recite fell out from between the pages.... the one for the Diamond I baught her a few years earlier when I asked her to marry me.

'Tattoo' and 'A Garden of Sand' by Earl Thompson are pretty gritty and good. 'Who Has Seen the Wind' by W.O. Mitchell. 'The Englishman's Boy' by Guy Vanderhaegue. 'The Covenant' by James Michener-actually all of James Michener's books. I hate books under 500 pages-I read shorter ones to fast I like a meal not a snack.

Latest posts