• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Favre Sets New TD Mark

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Sure was great to see him pass Marino's mark, but it'll be even better to see him one day win a Super Bowl ring. Hope it's this year for his sake. Been a long time since they went 4-0. They're D looks great though.

I would be all for him getting another ring. he is one of the best role models for young kids.....

Good for Favre. But role model i don't think so ? Short memories he was a drug addict, perscription pain killers was the story in the news a few years back and he went to rehab for it. Or is that what young athletes are supposed to do as long as they go to rehab who cares what drugs have been used. But surely it won't affect him getting into the hall of fame. As long as he has won a super bowl and set passing records who cares. that is a sad commentary on society.

Oh come off of it now. Prescription pain killers??!! I admittedly had forgotten about that, but I know alot of people who have had troubles breaking habits, or getting through tough times, and that doesn't make them bad people. It means they made some mistakes while trying to deal with adversity, but they pulled through it, and so did Favre. Are we to put these athletes, actors, singers, or even our own children, on such a high pedestal of expectation that it requires perfection to meet the required specifications? I think not. Not in my household, not in my family. Mistakes are something to learn from , and improve upon. In the case of Brett Favre, I say he did both.

And good on him for it, too.

the hits that guy has taken, I can over look a habit of pain killers!!

at least he went and got off of them. let 8 300 pound guys hunt you every week, and see what you wind up hooked on.

all in all, the guy is a class act!

I am not saying Farve is a bad person or isn't allowed mistakes. Just that IMHO he isn't role model material. Yes he is a talented athlete but if he is to be put in the role model catagory he should be doing psa's about the dangers of drug addiction to young people, or talking to young athletes about the dangers of using drugs to improve performance now that he is back in the spotlight. The sad comment on society not only extends to Farvre but his team knew about the addiction and did nothing not to mention coaches and management. But they could careless until it affected his play. Nobody would have said anything otherwise.
You guys oviously haven't been around someone who is addicted to any type of drug. It isn't a habit, it isn't a way to deal with adversity, or the right way to get throught tough times it is a addiction just like an addiction to crystal meth or cocaine. It is a truely serious matter and to dismiss it so casually is really disapponiting. Have you seen the damage a addiction to presciption drug can do. Farve was fortunate someone thought his addiction needed to be dealt with before he killed himself. A prime example is all the pro-wrestlers that are dying in their early fourties then it comes out they were addicted to presciption pain killers.
As far as being hunted by 300lb d linemen trying to crush you that is the job he chose and i think he knew that going in that is why he gets the paycheck he does. Jigs are you saying all pro-ahtletes in contact sports should have a pass on being drug addicts.
As far as maybe classifying prescription drug addiction as not being serious ask the families of people who killed themselves while addicted to oxycontin (a perscription pain killer).

Just that IMHO he isn't role model material.

You could not be more wrong.

Have you any idea how much this man has given to children's charity events through the years?

Do you have any idea how much he has helped his community? Before, during and after Katrina?

He is a role model for children in the highest order.

If you knew the circumstances of his "so-called" drug addiction, you would not feel this way.

QUESTION said:
A prime example is all the pro-wrestlers that are dying in their early fourties then it comes out they were addicted to presciption pain killers.

Think maybe the 500 times they shot up with 'roids might have had something to do with that?

I gotta say, I have a lot of respect for Favre, but cmon!!!!
If Elway would have gotten to play the Vikings twice a year he'd of had 600 touchdowns!!!!! :lol:

we were talking great qb's and some one throws out Elways name???

talk about apples and oranges!

Favre is a great role model. I preach to my kids that they will face plenty of adversity, and the measure of a man is how they respond to adversity. Favre won't be the only man to make mistakes, but he dealt with his mistakes in an exemplary manner - and he plays for pride and his team instead of $$$

Elway is a stud, but he played meny years in a very average AFC.
Jigs, you dogging Elway over a Chiefs/Broncos feud? Chiefs are the fricken Missery Chiefs, the slavers try to pass them off as something from Kansas.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and mine is i don't think he is a role model. Farve is a good athlete, and yes he does alot for the community and charities, i never denied he was a good person. But he got hooked on pain killers when he couldn't play because of the pain. He faced adversity and said i can't do it give me the drugs. Should the guys that can't cut it in the strength department be allowed to take roids and get a pass as well. Maybe ricky williams needs weed to deal with the pounding he takes, oh wait he's not allowed to do that he is banned. The fact remains yes he is an addict and will be forever just like an alcoholic. Brad you are very correct a measure of a man is how he deals with adversity , the fact is when Farve couldn't take the pain any more he should of sat and healed up. But no he chose the pain killers to deal with constant pain and got addicted, is that what you teach your kids take the easy way out. I know it would have been much harder for him to say i can't play the pain is just too much. A true role model would have said to himself there are thousands of kids who want to emulate me i better not play if i can only do it on drugs.

jigs said:
we were talking great qb's and some one throws out Elways name???

talk about apples and oranges!

Elway was the greatest to ever play the game. Don't you EVER forget that, Jigs.

Elway was no where near the greatest. Bradshaw is. although, Elway went a long way with no running back, credit Shanahan for getting a running game so Elway would finally get a title. I was happy he won a super bowl, that way he would retire.

sorry brad, I am no Chef fan either. as a kid, I liked the Stealers. and even though I despise Jerry Jones with all my heart, I really liked the Cowboys while Jimmy ran the team....

now, I pretty much watch NFL to see the big 12 kids play, and hate the raiders and the 9ers.

I've always liked Favre--probably cause I'm a Green Bay fan...The kid and I dropped Bulger from our fantasy team (doesn't have an ofeensive line) and picked up Favre- and he got us 9 points this last week....

I always thought Bart Starr was a great quarterback...He and old high tops- Johnny U-- who incidentally was passed over by Notre Dame for college ball...

The one I rooted for probably more than any others was old George Blanda- who played for years as a backup QB and kicker....It was exciting to watch the first string QB go down and see old George come in- and many times lead them to a touchdown or kick his own fieldgoal....

I just looked up to see how long he'd actually played and he played pro ball from starting with the Bears in 1949 until the Raiders released him just before his 49th birthday in 1975....I know for a long time it just seemed that if there was football game on TV-- Blanda was on the team...

Boy--have times changed...
Blanda was signed by the Chicago Bears for $600 in 1949, an amount owner George Halas demanded back when he made the team. While primarily used as a quarterback and placekicker, Blanda also saw time on the defensive side of the ball at linebacker.

Yikes OT you are, well, ...seasoned. Yeah Starr and Blanda were great - surprised you didn't inlude Sid Lukman and Sammy Baugh. Records don't cross from the old days to now because they revised the rules to stimulate more offense. I could see Farvre playing in the Ice Bowl, but I have doubts mmost modern QBs could cut it.

The Idea of a superbowl making a qb better is a terrible measurement for who is the best..If that were the case then trent dilfer's name would be heard more often...best ever pocket passer was marino,or you could make a case for Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.....Best Qb's outside the pocket...Farve,Elway,Young and Montana...If you go on team success and superbowl rings,right now the best ever would be bradshaw with four rings....

Latest posts