• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Featherlite Aluminum

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have used a couple different late 90's model Featherlights. They were dependable, pulled nice, and stock seemed to load real well. One I helped use got a lot of it, and besides tires, took a grease job once a year and was always ready. Handled rough terrain, bulls on the fight, and is probably worth almost what it cost new.

I am pulling a 92 featherlite right now and I love the way it pulls I the only thing I have had to do is the basics grease breaks tires mine has what they call a floating floor that can be slick when it is cold but all I do is throw some shavings or sawdust down for traction

I have a '95 Featherlite 7x20. Bought it new in '95. No welds have broken. Axles are the original ones. We did tear a piece of trim off the back dragging in a bull-rope tore it off. Stupid bull! Aluminum floor is good. Have replaced the rubber bumper. That's a chore. I like the five hinges on the back door as opposed to some other trailers with 3 hinges. Every so often I knock the hinge pins out and put some never-seize on them. Keeps the back door quiet.
Lights are pretty much trouble free but easy to replace. I try to take it to the truck wash 1 or 2 times a year for a chemical wash as I was told the cleaning protects the aluminum. I put bearing buddies on mine last year which I like.

We have a 1999 7x24 that has seen a lot of off-road use. We used it for hauling anything and everything and use it to deliver mineral, usually 7 ton at a time. I'd like to know how many miles we have put on that trailer, but it's a bunch. We changed the back door to a roll-up door and like that a lot. It's been a great trailer and we have no need to replace it.

Years ago, I'd say the 1990 vintage and we lived in SW Montana, one of our neighbors was extremely hard on things. He could tear up a crowbar. :p He got a new Featherlite Aluminum and we were all anxious to see how it held up. He beat it up pretty good but it stood the abuse. That made a believer out of all of us who were paying attention to what went on. I think you could buy the one you are looking at and have no regrets. Good luck!

P.S. I think their back door could be their weakness. I'll ask Mr. FH and see if he remembers what that was exactly.

I traded for the featherlite. Someone has tried to weld new hinges on the back door. It has been ranched pretty hard but still in good useable condition. I have never pulled an aluminum until now. I think I could pull this thing with my F-150 with a 300 six. I can put a little into welding a few parts and it will be very useable for several yrs for me. Thanks for the replies.

I have had two featherlites in my life. Wouldn't go back floors were slippery, door hinges were slopped out after year and the tires were no good on them always had one with a bubble on the side wall.

If you have a chance look at how much manure is on the roof in a featherlite shows a guy how much cattle slip and spin out. The wires were exposed and always needed fixing nothing major but in the spring of the year when it is nice and muddy, the last thing you want to do is crawl around fixing wires.
Personally I pull a Wilson same dollars twice the trailer.

Bar M said:
I have had two featherlites in my life. Wouldn't go back floors were slippery, door hinges were slopped out after year and the tires were no good on them always had one with a bubble on the side wall.

If you have a chance look at how much manure is on the roof in a featherlite shows a guy how much cattle slip and spin out. The wires were exposed and always needed fixing nothing major but in the spring of the year when it is nice and muddy, the last thing you want to do is crawl around fixing wires.
Personally I pull a Wilson same dollars twice the trailer.

Here the Wilsons are higher priced. I know Wilson's are good ones.
We decided (because of Uncle Sam)vat the last minute of the almost last day of last year to trade trailers.
We traded with Blake Trailer Sales in Rapid City. Our 1999 Featherlite is there if anyone needs a good aluminum stock trailer.
There is nothing wrong with it, we have taken good care of it and it has been a great trailer.
We found a used 2013 Featherlite combo/stock with a tack room this time and 7 1/2' wide. We did ask about Featherlite
having problems and the salesman didn't deny it. It seems to have occurred in the past in only a couple years.
I don't know what years that was, tho. Everyone we know that has one, likes them.

Good luck with yours, Flying S.

We bought our Featherlite 7x18 new in June 2004, it is a good solid GN and pulls well. We put rubber trailer floor mats in which solved the slick problem. Best Trailer we have ever owned.

Latest posts