• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

February Arrived with a bang

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
10 inches of snow on the level with the wind stacking it up everywhere it can this morning! :shock: Its not a real nice morning. Supposed to keep doing this til about 4pm which will make for a lot of digging out when its done. Of course, a heifer decided to calve last night. So far the calf is fine as I have them locked under a shed and a heat lamp on. Not even my heifer. I am helping out the family feud folks by taking their 3 heifers here where I can keep an eye on them. Glad I did or the calf would of froze to the ground.

What's the old saying? When you awake on a February morn, better have half your taters and half your corn. We say, When ya wake up on a February day, best have half your wood and half your hay! Hope the weather is better where ever you find yourself today.

H'

About 15% here 65 miles sw of Pierre, SD this morning. Overcast, with the sky looking just like a Weather Channel photo of Jackson, MS they showed a minute ago. I noticed that because I have three cousins who have lived there all their adult lives after growing up a hundred or so miles north of there. One isn't actually in Jackson, but right on the edge of the Natchez Traceway, which we once drove along all the way from Nashville to Jackson. Interesting drive!

Looks like we would get some sunshine, but might not get real warm. It ran quite a bit of water and melted the snow pretty good the past three days. Still have plenty left in places, so we don't need any more right now.

mrj

ps, Think our dau. in Omaha area got a big snow, and still falling at inches per hour, with 30mph wind. Good thing their jobs declared this a snow day yesterday afternoon!!! still only a touch of snow here overnight. About 30%, on a 'warm' thermometer. It registers a few degrees above others, but is readable from inside the house. Looks overcast and forecasts are pretty busy promoting the idea of big storms not too far south, so haven't time to talk about 'the big empty' area of west central SD. Black Hills Stock Show is going strong, and we hope to go watch the ranch rodeo this afternoon and maybe stay over for the new event of a Breakfast Ranch Saddle bronc ride in the morning....maybe....it just started snowing again! We will play this by ear, since part of our crew is already in Rapid City getting ready for their team to participate this afternoon. Sounds like feeding will take a couple of hours, so will see what the weather is doing after that.

mrj

We are in a blizzard warning. Snowed all last night and this morning. Hard to tell how much as the wind is crazy. Every bit of 12" of snow. Wind currently steady at 37 mph. Supposed to go down to 10-15 mph by sun up tomorrow. Two hours east just got a little rain shower and wind 5 mph now.

Latest posts