• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feed for weanling colts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Fireweed

Reaction score
What's your favorite?

I feed Omelene 300, but less than the recommended amount since I don't like to give a baby that much grain. Any other products that you have had success with? Just asking because we have a late filly that we need to wean, and with the weather suddenly turning to winter I want to make sure she has a good start. Thanks!

We got some Provi Alfalfa balancer from our Vigortone dealer. They have a Grass Balancer as well. We are using it on 3 later weanlings. They seem to be doing real good on it. Looks like it is costing about 1.30 a day /foal. A couple of the foals could of had a tough time with cold weather but have turned around quite quickly.

Thanks. I will look into it!

We weaned the filly yesterday. It is always traumatic, even though the mare has pretty much kicked her off!

Read a comment by a guy in Quarter Horse industry that made good sense. He said lots of people buying pretty expensive stud fees, but sometimes the difference in the foals is if they feed them like they are $500 horses or like they might be $40,000 horses.

I am not a fan of overfeeding horses, but when they grow, they grow better with some help,

PPRM

Fireweed said:
What's your favorite?

I feed Omelene 300, but less than the recommended amount since I don't like to give a baby that much grain. Any other products that you have had success with? Just asking because we have a late filly that we need to wean, and with the weather suddenly turning to winter I want to make sure she has a good start. Thanks!

We usually try to make sure they are eating a little grain with their mothers first, so they know what it is......Keep them separate and tie up daily the first winter...Get them used to coming in when I call them, take their spot to get tied up, and then get their grain... I like feeding them 2nd cutting alfalfa/grass hay and a pound or two (half a 3lb coffee can) of COB (rolled corn, oats, barley) with a little vitamins mixed in...Been using the Stamina Plus brand vitamins....Come spring I sometimes mix a little vegetable oil into their grain too- makes them shed off a little faster and shine up......

I've seen colts that were pushed too fast with too much hot feed- looked great when they sold- but ended up with leg and feet problems later on- apparently grew faster than their bones and joints.....

Thanks everyone. I was hoping there was something out there that isn't as rich as the Omelene. The recommedation on the bag seems pretty high, although I would assume it is well researched. The older horses just get the purina horse block with grass hay in winter, and maintain well. (You might have guessed that we only have a purina dealer in town)

Oldtimer, we do pretty much the same getting colts familiar with us and feed. But with just one colt this year I didn't want her unnecessarily stressed. How do you get them to eat the vegetable oil? I had a perlino gelding get that photosensitivity from alfalfa, and tried the oil to help his poor peeling skin. Wouldn't touch it. He would, however, lick mineral oil and ointment off his nose :roll:

Fireweed said:
Oldtimer, we do pretty much the same getting colts familiar with us and feed. But with just one colt this year I didn't want her unnecessarily stressed. How do you get them to eat the vegetable oil? I had a perlino gelding get that photosensitivity from alfalfa, and tried the oil to help his poor peeling skin. Wouldn't touch it. He would, however, lick mineral oil and ointment off his nose :roll:

I just poured an ounce or so on their grain and never had any turn up their noses- but I've only done it in the spring after they are well conditioned to eating grain- when I was trying to get them slicked up for a show or sale....Once in a while with a finicky colt that doesn't want to take to eating grain, I pour a little mollasses on it- its never failed to get them started...

A QH breeder friend of mine that does a lot of showing is who told me about the vegetable oil....Works good on dog food too, for dogs with dry or dull coats.....

Latest posts