• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feed Mixer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have aby ideas on where to find or how to build a small feed mixer. I've seen mixers capable of taking a large round bale and chopping and mixing with feead. I need something quite a bit smaller. Preferably one that will take a small square bale and 2-3 50# sacks of feed. I've looked for a used unit, but so far had no luck. Surely someone makes one, I've just been unable to find one. I would be more than happy to build one if I could find some plans. Thanks

I've thought about that Katrina. I was looking for something a liitle bit more feedmixer looking though. LOL. I would like to have or build one that I can feed out of. Maybe some type of live bottom in it. Basically I'm looking for ideas. There are probably all types out there, I just don't know where to look.

We used our grinder mixer as a kid to grind feed and we were always mixing in a few square bales of alfalfa in the sow feed.You can buy those mixers here for under a $1000 in pretty good condition. I paid $250 for mine.

I would sure appreciate some info on them if possible. That sounds like its exactly what I've been looking for. This isn't farming country out here and I don't know of anyone who has one.

there are several types and sizes of grinder\mixers in the midwest.

i used the different sized screens for cattle,hogs or horses.

u can remove the screens,,,,then it is simply a mixer!!

check the different dealers,the john deere and new holland were the most common here.

those days are about gone,,but u can still find a used one

you need to find hog country to find the grinder/mixers in everyones shed. I am sure there are at least 25-30 of varying condition in this county and I am equally sure that I am the only guy who still uses one.

I don't know why everyone doesn't have one. You sure can't afford to buy that prepackaged, big name, overpriced, highly advertised, bagged feed.

You aint joking about the bagged stuff being spendy. The feedstore I use here casrries Hubbard feeds. One ration was $17.50 per bag and another ration was $19 per bag. I was able to get some out of Ft.Collins, but it is $10.50. Still pretty spendy. If anyone has a line on a decent mixer, let me know.

dont know how far u want to travel but

http://www.bismanonline.com/getListing.php?tcat=1&cat=273&p=2&a=571817

looks like its what u need with a bale chute--its about 40 miles east of bismarck, nd and NO, its not mine I just saw it and thought of u--take the family to Medora on the way and make a vacation out of it :wink:

That one looks to be in excellent shape. There are alot of them sitting in sheds in central/southern Alberta, although if you pull in the yard and casually ask if it's for sale, it suddenly becomes invaluable to the day-to-day operations of the ranch. lol
I've been snooping and looking for one for a year or more. We go through alot of feed anymore between chickens, turkeys and hogs. I'm running wheat screenings from the local seed plant through my own roller mill, then mixing it in empty lick tubs with a vitamin pre-mix. Pain in the butt, however money talks, and when I have found a grinder/mixer someone wanted to sell in great shape, the conversation's been silent. :lol:

That looked just about right. I couldn't get the info to pull up though, so I couldn't see how much they wanted. I know what you mean PC. You find something that you know hasn't been used in years and all of a sudden its invaluable. Finding a small grinder/mixer has been pretty hard. I've come across several big ones, but no small ones.

I tried fastline, didn't find anything close

You could try Machinery finder, or iron search, maybe craigslist or the fencepost magazine

I called on the one listed above. They want $2000 obo.I didn't know if that was too high or not.

Here are a few units that came up in an online search for "grinder mixer" in the "Green Sheet". Likely these mostly located in eastern SD. You'll probably have to type "grinder mixer" in the search window without the quotation marks.

The OMC 95 sounds likes an oldie but goodie. Must be that peuk green color. :wink: :lol:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/cce?module=1&Category=pinksheetclassifieds

I checked out the link Faster Horses sent only changed the criteria to all and came up with 12 pages of 25. FYI, mine is a New Holland 357 and it ROCKS!!! It can grind #600 of corn a minute.

I have a OMC they are puke green with orange chute's but I'd take a New Holland over any of the others.Doug you wanna trade??

What about parts availability for certain makes? I'm sure most grinder mixer parts like bearings and augers are off the shelf or easily fabricated by a machine shop. Hammers, now that might be another thing.

Wasn't OMC bought out by Gehl which has since gone out of the ag equipment business? What about Farmhand, IH, and NH? Do AGCO and CNH still stock parts for 30+ yr old machines?

Latest posts