• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feed price question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Larrry

Reaction score
Just trying to get an idea on feed prices and what people are paying

FOB?___________location

Sorghum Feed__________$

Alfalfa___________$

Oat Hay___________$

Grass(var)___________$

Corn Stalks_________$

Wheat Straw___________$

Oat Straw___________$

etc__________$

Not sure on the differing varieties-- but in NE/Eastern Montana I believe there is still lots of hay... Grass, grass/alfalfa, and alfalfa ....Some still holding out for $95 Ton- but it hasn't been moving much at that price.... I saw some that sold where they have lowered it down to $80 and even as low as $65 T...
I see several on FB advertising wheat straw and hailed out wheat hay down toward the Circle/Terry area... I haven't heard a price on that-altho they sounded anxious to get it gone as one said they had lots and were willing to take offers...

And the 40-50 degree temps of today aren't helping to sell any locally...

My cows were really gobbling up the wheat hay and some of the lower quality hay during the cold weather- but on days like this with the snow all leaving they are throwing up their noses at that and going out grazing.... Using the hay for bedding :roll: ....
And the cows this year are about the fattest I have ever seen them...Coming off a good grass year- being able to graze most the winter- they are almost too fat...

I got a Family Discount 2 months ago and bought SUPER grassy alfalfa for $150. I would say that would easily be $180 today.

I sold 300 bales of rip gut grinding type hay here for $40 per bale I delivered all of it the bales most likely averaged 1200#s. It was baled in October Nov and The 1st of December. Could have sold another 1000 bales easy.

farmboy said:
BMR how much more you want for $4..............after last year it feels like we are giving it away at 3.50

The man had his dry corn contracted a $6.10 but his was about 18 moisture.
Another guy I know sold his at $3.25 but it was tougher and light. That was the best looking crop I saw last fall all the way from home across the top and down the east side of North Dakota down through Mitchell South Dakota on to Columbus Nebraska, back across toVvalentine up to Rapid City and home. Yet it only ran 54 bu/acre. :?

I found this but it is all over the place. Some guys price it by the bale and some by the ton. Sure is hard to compare when they throw out the price per bale

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/categories/livestock/livestock-feed/

If you get west into Colo the prices will be a little higher, but then there isnt as many cows as there was. The open warm winter is sure cutting demand for now.

Latest posts