• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
BMR are you caking your cows or did you find your bloomer recipe. We put pout some feed and two tub 'OLS' just before the Cfr in case some weather hit.We have lots of feed left over and if I moved cows could quit feeding. I hate to graze up my spring field. Do you find it easier to get goes to roothog in early winter-or late spring. That late spring balegrazed patches are just like candy to them but they are There are some outfits feeding ALOT but they have early March bull sales coming along.. All I know she's been a pretty darn kind end of '11 for us cow purveyors. My neighbor got a call from Texas last week wants 300,000 bales. Has no one heard of shipping out cows, selling off of reducing inventory.

NR, lots of TX outfits have shipped cattle north to Nebraska, SD, MT, ND etc in lue of shipping hay. I was told there are less cattle in King County and surrounding counties in TX today than there has been in 150 years.

we're damn lucky winter has been as good to us as it has so far, because the amount of hay that has left this country(and still leaving) will make you go... :shock: :shock: and if the future drought monitor holds any truth, all that hay may need to come back north. :???: :( i just hope EVERYBODY gets enough moisture in the coming months to support what needs to be supported.

The hay trucks have been headed south past here (US Highway 281) since before Memorial Day, and there has been absolutely no let up from then til now. This whole thing is beginning to smell just a tad "funny".

6 inches of wet snow yesterday on top of the 6-8 inches we were rustling in will have us feeding today. Lots of hay and half the cows in BC from 2005.
Moisture is above average in the province but a sry spring and summer could change that.

Haven't heard of much hay going south yet.

Yep- we are sure a lot further ahead than last year when we was feeding full feed by the 3rd week of November..
Cows are still out grazing (about an inch of snow on the river bottom)- and just rolling them out about 10 lbs of hay to supplement whats lacking in the dry hay meadows (also lost some hay meadows in the spring/summer flooding)... Temp today is supposed to be in the 40's- with temps in the 30's all week... :) Makes those stacks go way further....

On the 8th of Dec. I attended the local Stockyards Bred Cow Sale...

First thing is they sold 350-400 ton of good grass/alfalfa hay (tested 14+% protein) which sold for just under $55 Ton...(A fellow that had all his hayland flooded out- bought it all)..

The top cows I saw sold were part of a dispersion- 1150Lb coming 4 year old blacks that sold for $1725 Mid March- Mid May calving... Some 1000lb coming 3's sold for $1650...(Reds in the herd sold for about $150 cheaper)...

But anything with a calf in it- even broken mouths and old shorttermers were holding strong at $900 to $1250 when I left...

Definitely a time to have cows-- cheap hay- pricey cows !!
I haven't got to see that very often !!! Its usually just the opposite....

I have the same feeling Justin. The last big drought we had started really similar to this last August. We haven't had any significant moisture for about 4 months. It's a great time of the year to have a drought as long as it remembers to rain next spring. It has me a little nervous.

Getting back to Cory here, I didn't lay in any Bossy bloomer this winter. I tried some Rio tubs for the cows up north just to eliminate the trip up there. With this weather they will be doing fine without me. I have quite abit of hay so I will not have to force them to stay out if it get very tough.
I used to buy 20 tons of Bloomer landed in for about what 3 tons of tubs cost.It's just not a easy trail up north when we get a bit of snow. :?

Loomix, ten thousand ton of that hay going through Red Cloud is headed for a staging yard in Hays. My trucks are getting it there and taking it to a variety of places in SW Kansas....I will be sure to let the oil companies hauling it down for me to flip off any red truck in your fair city..... any man NOT willing to crow about the grand people born there, deserves the bird !!! :wink:

We have'nt had much rain since august dug some post holes and the clay was powder dry. We will have 400 or so extra bales come grass. No snow has got me thinking I should bale some meadows that are froze now a few hundred grinding bales mixed with silage and distillars syrup would look pretty good in a dry year.

jigs said:
Loomix, ten thousand ton of that hay going through Red Cloud is headed for a staging yard in Hays. My trucks are getting it there and taking it to a variety of places in SW Kansas....I will be sure to let the oil companies hauling it down for me to flip off any red truck in your fair city..... any man NOT willing to crow about the grand people born there, deserves the bird !!! :wink:

See, Jiggsy, I KNOW where you were born, and that simple fact makes you a closet Husker, no matter how much you protest. So go ahead and run Nebraska down all you want, but you can't deny your birthright. :wink:

I was foaled out 40 miles north of home. But then so were my 3 kids, and my Dad passed away up there as well. Unfortunately, the hospital here where you were born is little more than a glorified first aid station. Many of the great folks who live here were born someplace else.

Having someone flip me off doesn't bother me in the least. My competitor's employees do it to me all the time! :wink: :lol:

you make me laugh..... I am no more a closet husker than you are a closet Mary D. fan !!

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Jiggsy, you are a Husker by BIRTH. That simple fact cannot be denied. You can't hide what's inside! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually don't mind Mary D. As long as I don't have the misfortune of seeing her or hearing her talk......now her kid and his alleged basketball "skills" is another matter. My son the freshman can score just as many points as him, and Miles gets to play a helluva lot less!

have you tried getting your nose up the coaches ass like mike and mary? mary seems like a complete idiot then she speaks, and removes all doubt.

I do my damndest to stay away from the schrool. Anything my kids get, they get on their own, without any outside interference from the wife or me.

That way, when a staff member needs something 'splained to him or her, as they sometimes do, their "hearing" is near perfect. :wink:

Latest posts