• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding Cows in a Big Way

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is what we were doing a couple days ago.

DSC01571.jpg

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

So we could bring the heavy girls in, and watch them a bit closer.

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

We have 50/140 head in right now. The first of them are due about Feb 26 and the last bull went out for about March 3. So any day now.

We grind alot of our hay that way. Its two to three year old hay, export cull piles. Run it through the grinder once to pile it and then run it through one more time when we feed it. They clean it up pretty well, I kind of wish it were a little bit longer stem length though.

sic 'em reds said:
We grind alot of our hay that way. Its two to three year old hay, export cull piles. Run it through the grinder once to pile it and then run it through one more time when we feed it. They clean it up pretty well, I kind of wish it were a little bit longer stem length though.

They have different screen sizes for this one. I think they range from 1 inch to 3 inch screens. 1 inch is pretty fine, and 3 is pretty coarse. I think we had the 2 and 3 inch ones in.

randiliana said:
sic 'em reds said:

They have different screen sizes for this one. I think they range from 1 inch to 3 inch screens. 1 inch is pretty fine, and 3 is pretty coarse. I think we had the 2 and 3 inch ones in.

That would be best, but we just open the door wide on the bale processor and blow it into a pile.

We borrowed a chopper like the one you had last year, but it was such a piece of junk that we couldn't keep it going. Burned all sorts of belts and plugged up too much. It had not been taken care of.

Hey Randi,Been thinking of buying a small used grinder/chopper to make a silage clamp.Do you guys cover your silage in the winter?The way i've seen clamps set up,you move an electric fence back as the cows eat off the clamp,so a bit different then your method.Does any one else chop hay for silage?What kind of set up?Pics appreciated.Thanks! 8)

That wouldn't be silage that's just dry chopped hay. Silage needs to be cut green and either baled and wrapped or chopped and packed into a pit,bunker or bag. It then ferments and becomes ensilage.

Thanks BMR,been reading in this Grass fed cattle book,and i had remembered this post.The silage they mention is tarped ,then tires laid all around the sides.Thanks for the reply.Still looks like a good method.

Blkbuckaroo said:
Thanks BMR,been reading in this Grass fed cattle book,and i had remembered this post.The silage they mention is tarped ,then tires laid all around the sides.Thanks for the reply.Still looks like a good method.

They make lots of silage in piles but it is chopped green and packed usually with 4wd tractor back and forth until the air is pushed out the the plastic is put on and dirt or even manure is put around the edges to seal it up.
Very good feed when done right. Not so good if not properly made.

I try to never keep hay over - - -- there always seems to be a neighbor running short this time of year and I " loan " them what they need and it is to be repalced from their first cutting.

I feel like first year first cutting is better than year old second or third cutting - - - -it has worked well for me and seems to build good relations as well.

Thanks for the feed back you two,sounds like it's quite a bit of work,that i probably may not want to venture. :? Plenty of hay around here these days.

what do you use to keep the cows from pulling the hay all the way out and tromping it into the mud?? we use irrigation pipe

Latest posts