• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding Lentils

Help Support Ranchers.net:

EastWind

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fed Lentils. We were offered 1500 lbs of Lentils that were past an expiration date, and were wondering if it has any negative effect on cattle. I am not sure if they will even eat it.
Thanks

Oh they will eat them. Last year i had some light oats with pea and lentil screenings and a little bit of light cracked wheat. My bull calves did very well on them. Ration them out as they are high in protien.
They aren't moldy or anything?
No treatment?

What do they mean past the expiration date?

I have also fed green lentil hay. For some reason the lentils grew tall and didn't set seed. The calves sure ate it up. :D

Thanks BMR They are not moldy or have any treatment on them. They were food grade that came through a food bank that wanted to get rid of them.

As BMR said ration them. They are potent. I have some cattle get high sided, not bloated, but close.

If you can grind it, they will utilize them better. I realize it is only 1500 lbs.

I worked at a food grade processing plant. when we cleaned the lentils, the screenings contained wild oats, wheat, and broken lentils. Ground it and fed with grass hay. Good feed.

They really don't expire, so if you want to make soup out of the ones you get go ahead. Just like any pulse, they just need to cook longer the older they are. :D

Lentils - 27% -28% Crude Protein - Dry Matter Basis (without hulls)
(Compare with 40% in soybeans)
About 7% = Non-protein nitrogen

Feed plenty of hay with Lentils.

From "Feeds & Feeding"

Looks like a good feed source.

Just guessing, based on having tried cooking 'store bought' lentils, and finding them ok, but not as tasty as other 'bean of dried pea types' I'd say food banks might have them for a LONG time before anyone is hungry enough to actually use them.

Not heard hearted, simply realistic.

mrj

mrj said:
Looks like a good feed source.

Just guessing, based on having tried cooking 'store bought' lentils, and finding them ok, but not as tasty as other 'bean of dried pea types' I'd say food banks might have them for a LONG time before anyone is hungry enough to actually use them.

Not heard hearted, simply realistic.

mrj
lentils, carrots, garlic ,onion, salt, pepper , cinnamon, a can of chicken broth and some browned lamb shanks on top in a slow cooker all day long till the meat fall from the bone.... make any peasant happy :D

Agreed! And any low cost critter, from an old hen to ribs from an old cow, or even a roping steer 'retired' long enough to grow some nice horns, will work in the same recipe and make a delicious, nutritious and filling meal.\

Problem is, few people know how to cook that way, and many do not even have the utensils. And a slow cooker isn't necessary if one has a large-ish kettle, but too many who are in need of food don't have those, I'm told. Some must have ways to use Hamburger Helper, which seems such a waste, as nutrition in that can't be nearly what some fresh veggies, even lowest cost ones, would have to add to a little bit of the most inexpensive meats.

And low cost isn't the only reason to use these recipes! Time and wanting a great home made meal trump all else for many who were raised with that kind of meal as a celebration of good food!

mrj

mrj said:
Agreed! And any low cost critter, from an old hen to ribs from an old cow, or even a roping steer 'retired' long enough to grow some nice horns, will work in the same recipe and make a delicious, nutritious and filling meal.\

Problem is, few people know how to cook that way, and many do not even have the utensils. And a slow cooker isn't necessary if one has a large-ish kettle, but too many who are in need of food don't have those, I'm told. Some must have ways to use Hamburger Helper, which seems such a waste, as nutrition in that can't be nearly what some fresh veggies, even lowest cost ones, would have to add to a little bit of the most inexpensive meats.

And low cost isn't the only reason to use these recipes! Time and wanting a great home made meal trump all else for many who were raised with that kind of meal as a celebration of good food!

mrj
yeah those fancy new Dutch oven on top the stove or in the oven work great too.

jodywy said:
mrj said:

mrj
yeah those fancy new Dutch oven on top the stove or in the oven work great too.

Tell us more, jody. Are you talking about cast iron dutch ovens? If not, what?

Those cast iron, old ones, have to be the best! I just bought a couple of cheapish cast iron/porcelain covered ones at Shopko. I think I'm going to like them very much......after I re-build my illness compromised muscles up a LOT. One is a three quart, the other a six quart model. Smaller than a couple of older cast iron models I just can't handle anymore.

I have a great bread recipe that is just better baked in cast iron, as 'required' by the recipe in a Basque cookbook I got years ago in Nevada. Story is, the sheepherders baked it, carving a cross on the top, and serving the first piece to their trusty sheepdog. Hope to try it in the new pot in a day or two.

mrj

76035_resized_800x800.jpg

76056_resized_800x800.jpg

Latest posts