• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding & storing wet or modified distillers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LCP

Reaction score
I had a wild idea, thought I'd see if anyone here could tell me if I'm on to something...

I've heard about buying wet or modified distillers in the summer, layering it with straw, and packing it like silage to make it keep until winter. I've also heard about guys using the hay grinder to "mix" their ration (5 bales of hay, 1 scoop of corn for example) as they are grinding and then feeding that partially-mixed ration through a chuckwagon (rather than a mixer wagon) and it further mixes during the loading/unloading process. I was thinking of combining the two ideas, and getting a load of wet or modified distillers in as close as I can to getting the haygrinder in, and running the distillers right through the grinder into the hay pile. Thought it might help the distillers to keep a little longer mixed with the hay, so I can justify getting a full load. This would all be in the winter, and I'd be feeding off the pile right away. But I could maybe double the length of time the distillers would stay in condition by mixing it in the haypile right away rather than keeping it separate. If I wanted to get real fancy I could mix two "rations", one pile for the cows and one for the calves if I have enough roughage to keep both for the winter I have a silage wagon, which I would prefer using rather than buying a mixer wagon. Less cost, less hp required, and more capacity.

This is all speculation...I have zero experience with WDG or MDG. Looking for some advice from those who do.

We used to feed a lot of it now none dry pencils out better. Trucking a lot of water and at the price they charge here wet vs dry its a no brainer. The loads we got in the summer needed to be fed with in a week and that wasn't quick enough spoils very fast. One year we got 42 semi loads in mid October dumped them 3 wide and after it cooled and set up we folded the outside loads onto the center it kept pretty well that year but it was cold enough that it kept well. I wouldn't blend it with dry hay until feeding day. I'd dig a long narrow bunker and fill it up then cover it myself I'd roll out some plastic then I'd cover the whole area with a foot of dirt it is hard to keep it from spoiling it tears ag bags due to weight we fed syrup and we kept that in a dirt bunker. We buried some corn silage once 3 years later I was digging in the pile the silage was as fresh as when it was buried .

I doubt you'll find a grinder that likes that plan using wet distillers. I don't see why dry wouldn't blend well with ground hay, may settle out a bit. You might just topload dry on your ground hay in the wagon. Wet product is fussy to keep and best fed quickly if stored in the open. Our location dictates dry is a better value hauled 350 miles versus wet hauled 50. Your mileage may vary. Sounds like you're brainstorming which is good at a time like you are having.

On the blending and packing part I bet the whole pile would spoil no way to get it packed decent. I'd just get it on a as needed basis may cost more money but spoilage will be minimal.

Thanks for the input. I have not priced wet or modified, but I know of a few guys close to me that feed modified so it is probably competitive with dry. Guess I'll see when the time comes. Dry is at $136/ton delivered right now.

Have done it before in August. Ground straw 12 to 15% and the rest wet distillers. Mixed in a Rotomix then dumped out and packed. Very labor intensive. Felt like i wore everything out twice doing it.
Positives: Price. Feed is all at the place and ready to be fed instead of cooridnating loads all winter and tryng to get trucks in. Kept well.
Negatives: Seemed hard on equipment to mix everything and push and pack, compared to load once and mix and feed. Took 3 days to do 30 loads of wet cake.
I have helped a neighbor use a manure spreader and do the same thing but it isnt as consistent and was hard to get it just right to pack the whole time.

Latest posts