• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding the crew

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BarMJ

Reaction score
Hopefully this topic fits here, it kind of has to do with the daily running of a ranch, lol!
I was just making up our menu for the week and it got me wondering if anyone in here would be willing to share any recipes. The ones I like the best are easy, but wholesome. I'll go ahead and share one my grandpa gave me to get us started.

It's not really a recipe you follow to the letter, it's more of one you make to your own liking...

Barley and burger soup/stew

Start with a large soup pan and add the following
Ingredients:
A few potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
some carrots, chopped
1 chopped onion
1/4 cup barley, cooked (measured before cooking)
1lb cooked ground beef (don't add this quite yet!)
Add water to cover ingredients, then add beef bouillion, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Add burger and simmer for 30 minutes.[/b]

awwwwwwwwww oh well ..but but but chicken & dumplins is southern. Well I guess I will have to get out my BEEF ones :wink:

BarMJ,

Look in Coffee Shop, I just brought up a recipe thread I started last April - lots of wonderful recipes we've tried. The thread is called Fightless Fridays-how 'bout some recipes (or something like that).

Hanta Yo

I've never had barley in soup/stew, unless, there was some unidentifiable lil things in Campbells Vegetable beef soup many years ago when I usta eat that...........
take out the barley and throw in a qt jar of home canned maters, and that's how I make my soup.

MsSage said:
Can I post sshhhhhh chicken?????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
I LOVE chicken and dumplins.......let's see the recipe...also love chicken enchiladas!!!
My favorite stuff to cook up when the "crew" is here for roundup or for the branding is Shredded BBQ Beef and cowboy chili!!
The BBQ beef is easy enough.....place 2-3 large beef roasts in a roaster and cook ALL DAY LONG til tender enough to shred with a fork and then add your favorite bbq seasonings and/or bbq sauce...serve over buns and watch the crew eat 'em up!!!
cowboy chili is also very easy and will feed ALOT-----
hamburger
bacon (cut into pieces)
small onion (diced and cooked with burger and bacon)
liquid smoke
ketchup
butter beans
pork and beans (a few cans)
kidney beans
brown sugar
dash of vinegar
add the ingredients in amounts to suit your tastes and let simmer so that the flavors blend and then.....ENJOY!!!!
8)

Ranchwife,

Miss hearing from you, I know how busy you are and don't know how you do it with a houseful of kids! Couldya post that nummy recipe on the thread I resurrected? Just to keep it all together? Thanks!!!

Hanta Yo

Hanta Yo said:
Ranchwife,

Miss hearing from you, I know how busy you are and don't know how you do it with a houseful of kids! Couldya post that nummy recipe on the thread I resurrected? Just to keep it all together? Thanks!!!

Hanta Yo

I'll be right on it!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
By the way...gonna be heading over to Townsend (85 miles north) for a game on Thursday and then to Big Timber on February 11th for the last game of the regular season!!!! Will let you know more later.....gee, wouldn't it be nice if divisionals or state were in Billings,...give us a reason to "catch up" :wink:

This is so easy. If you want to make the dumplins from scratch you can BUT LOL
2 Lg cans Cream of chicken soup
2 cans White chicken
2 Lg can~jars Chicken brooth (those paper containers LOL)
1 box frozen dumplins

I put the 3 top items in a crock pot then and 2 hours before serving put the dumplings in. I keep my crock pot on high during the last 2 hours.

If you want to make it nutritious you could add carrots & peas

ranchwife said:
Hanta Yo said:
Ranchwife,

Hanta Yo

I'll be right on it!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
By the way...gonna be heading over to Townsend (85 miles north) for a game on Thursday and then to Big Timber on February 11th for the last game of the regular season!!!! Will let you know more later.....gee, wouldn't it be nice if divisionals or state were in Billings,...give us a reason to "catch up" :wink:

Anything like that happens, you better let us know!!! :wink: Cuz you know we'll be there!!!! :D :nod: :nod: :nod:

I was just thinking (yes, I know, very scary!!) this morning as I was getting ready that we needed to start the Fightless Friday recipes up again...and I was going to bring it to the top this Friday morning. You all beat me to the punch, and without a doubt great minds think alike!!!

Cheers to good eating (now Jinglebob, you can pay into my eating fund anyday!!! According to my good body condition score, I "cheers" a lot!!! :wink: )

And, cheers to a beautiful winter day--to nice to be inside :(

TTB

1 whole ham, cubed into large bite sized chunks
10 pounds of spuds,
2 quarts (?) of half and half... enough to almost cover the spuds and ham.

Roast on low overnight in an electric roaster, or on medium for about 6 hours (checking occasionally to adjust temp as needed).

I use this one for branding because it lets me mix everything up and let it go until dinner time while I go out and work. (This one always gets me rave reviews and an empty pan... But then after branding several hundred head of calves, I've noticed most guys are ready to eat their boot. lol)

I have several more recipes that I use for branding that I'll post later. :)

Speaking of dumplings?
I have always seen them made from caned biscuits. Just break them up into say 4 of 5 peaces each and drop them in shortly before the chicken part is done. It makes a nice plump dumpling.

Camp stew:
2 or 3 chickens, 2 Boston butts, one small white tail deer boiled and bones removed. Then add a sack of taters, 3 gallons of maters and a gallon of whole cornel corn and a gallon of corn cut off the cob and a small sack of onions.
Cook in an old cast iron washtub for ½ a day and serve with white bread.

I've never cared for Dumplins, always seemed gooey. So I make noodles instead.
boil a whole chicken, remove it from the pot and debone
Then I take somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 cups of flour, 2 tsp of salt, tsp of pepper, add all dry ingredients to a mixin bowl that already has 4 or so eggs beat in it, then mix in enuff water to make the dough.
Roll em out on a floured surface, and cut into strips usin my pizza cutter.
Drop them in the pot of boiling chicken broth, most times there's enuff flour that is on the rolled noodles, that I dont have to add anything for thickenin. After all noodles have been added and cooked, I put the chicken meat back in the pot with it. This makes a BIG pot of noodles.
We call em chicken n dumplins, but technically it's egg noodles.

Your using pearl barley I presume-my better half makes awesome homemade soups with it. Just finished a bowl of deer hamburger soup. We mix some bacon ends in with our deer meat when we grind it-gives the hamburg a bit of a smokey taste -yumyum.

Latest posts