• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FEMA housing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

carole3218

Reaction score
I just registared with nerr.gov for opening my home to Katrina victims. I guess I am little bit excited and a little bit scared but I hate to sit back when I have available bedrooms to share. They are bringing in thousands to Denver by Frontier airlines. Has anyone done anything like this before? Just curious if anyone has suggestions to share.

I don't have any suggestions, but I do want to commend (sp?) you on your generosity. :clap: Alot of people send money, but you are willing to open up your home to complete strangers. God bless you, Carole.

Carole---keep us posted on how we may help....it is so easy to drop a dollar or two in the collections buckets you see everywhere, but you still leave feeling that there is so much more that can be done!!! As a nurse, i have given serious thought to joining the red cross efforts down there and at least trying to bring some comfort to the many victims...however, with 5 kids at home, haying and my job........ :cry: :roll:

Let me know more about this Carol. We might do the same thing. Tho' I don't know if many would want to stay waaaayyyyy out here in the sticks!

If those folks staying with you need some money, let us know. I'd sure feel good sending some directly to those in need!!

And good for you for what you have offered to do!!! Life is an adventure, and you are about to embark on what could be a very different one! You will certainly have our best wishes and prayers!

Wish we could do what you are doing, but I am sure we are too far away.

Carole,
We admire your stepping up to the plate. Having any guest is an adjustment. Having guests with many problems will be even more so. However, you'll probably have offers of help from friends and when all is said and done you'll be the richer for it.
Years ago we and another family from church decided to help a Vietnamese family - a mother and 8 kids. Which meant finding a house to rent, job for the eldest son, clothing, get the younger ones in school, furniture etc. Others in church offered help once the ball got rolling. There were good days and some not so good but prayer and just keeping one foot ahead of the other got the job done. We've never regretted it. God bless you!

With all the reports on how slow and bad FEMA is, it may be a long time before I get a call. Not everyone will want to come to an agricultural community like Greeley. When they smell the dairies and feed lots here, they might ask to go back but I am willing to try. If I were younger I would volunteer to go south so I felt this was one way I could help. Thanks for your support.

I just watched Oprah and what I saw was enough to make you sit and bawl. Even if they are not dead, they are taken to the morgue to die by themselves as they can't thin out their resources to much.

I have no doubts if this had happen in a elite area, there would have been a quicker and greater response to this natural disaster.

God Bless America :!:

I just thought ya'll might like to know what happened here in Huntsville today. The Baptist church was housing 70 refugees that had evacuated before the storm hit. The church wanted to do more, for more of them, so offered to take 500 more. When the ones staying there heard this they packed their belongings and walked to the bus station, not wanting to stay there with the new arrivals, after seeing all the bad things they had done on the news. As the 500 came in they were told to put any drugs or weapons in a 55 gallon barrel outside the front door. It was full when they were done. Then they proceeded to trash the church and some of them stole the church van.

I truely hope if you get a family to stay with you that they aren't these kind.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I just thought ya'll might like to know what happened here in Huntsville today. The Baptist church was housing 70 refugees that had evacuated before the storm hit. The church wanted to do more, for more of them, so offered to take 500 more. When the ones staying there heard this they packed their belongings and walked to the bus station, not wanting to stay there with the new arrivals, after seeing all the bad things they had done on the news. As the 500 came in they were told to put any drugs or weapons in a 55 gallon barrel outside the front door. It was full when they were done. Then they proceeded to trash the church and some of them stole the church van.

You know, I was wondering how stuff like that could help from happening. Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished. I hope that Carole 3218 gets someone good to share her home with and doesn't have any horror stories to relate later.

Cal said:

You know, I was wondering how stuff like that could help from happening. Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished. I hope that Carole 3218 gets someone good to share her home with and doesn't have any horror stories to relate later.

All one person can do is try to do the right things in life. Frontier Airlines is flying them into Denver so I would imagine that they don't let them enter the plane with guns. I was very specific about who I wanted so that will probably weed out the trouble makers. The rest remains to be seen. I don't have cash to send so I thought I could offer beds. I am willing to try to help in this way. We all have so many blessings in our lives.

Carole, you sound so much like my husband. He lives by the motto of "doing what is right", and" turn the other cheek". Good luck to you. We all hope and pray everything will be OK for you.

I was simply stateing what's happened here, and that I feel as the rest of the board...we commend you Carole on what your doing opening your home to someone. I just hope it's a positive experience for you. I posted what I did because I myself just can't understand people doing things like this, when they (the people of that church) are only trying to help them.
I agree.. we are all very fortunate and thankful that we live where we do.

And they wonder why Texas has capitol punishment.The bad eggs of the bunch need to be gut shot.

carole. I think you are doing the right thing. If this goes like most things like this does, I think you will find that your will be expected to do much more than you had expected to do. This will likely be frusterating to you, but in the end, you will find that you really had all that to give anyway.

Clarence said:
carole. I think you are doing the right thing. If this goes like most things like this does, I think you will find that your will be expected to do much more than you had expected to do. This will likely be frusterating to you, but in the end, you will find that you really had all that to give anyway.

Thanks Clarence for your words of wisdom and I take your thoughts to heart. This is such a screwed up mess that I don't know how it all will be resolved. I called the Red Cross today and put my name in their files as I have not heard from www.nerr.gov but I don't think they are bringing in as many as anticipated.

I probably created all this dialogue and no one will ever show up but I had good intentions. Thanks to all.... :)

Latest posts