• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fence charger's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
What's everyone using/recommending

my old Parmak se 3 suffered a lightening strike so am now looking for a new one

my favorite is a KUBE made in Germany sold by www.premier1supplies.com

I'm pretty much a Gallagher guy. They seem to have quite a number of reps and really good support here in the NW.

I have and like the Gallagher, however wish they would sell replacement parts, ie resistors and diodes, you have to buy the complete pc board, or complete solar panel . There is a new competitor on the market now, Patriot, also made in N.Z. and priced considerably lower than Gallagher... just may have to try them.

I have a Zareba that has done its job. A lot of folks around hear have Stafix brand chargers with the compass remote, but the next one I buy will be from http://www.taylorfence.net/index.php. American made with extra lightning protection, great warranty, and all parts are replaceable. Couple neighbors have them and have said company service is great and now they are working on their own remote as well.

We have used Gallagher in the past, and even parmak. We switched to Speedrite (Stafix) a few years ago and liked them so much I have become a dealer. They sell all the way up to a 220V plug in fencer and very good battery stuff. I have used the Patriots (same maker) and they are a bit less of a fencer. The Parmaks are not great, and here at least the Gallaghers are all about 2xs the money of a comparable Speedrite. The only problem we have had with our various speedrite fencers was when one fell out of the back of the truck and I ran over it with a trailer. I then proceeded to cut the cables off to run another spare. When I called to order a new fencer, my wholesaler said he could probably fix my flattened one. 5 days later the postage was higher than the repair bill and my fencer was back. That was about 5 years ago and it is still running.
Whatever brand, get the remote/fault finder variety. The time saved is worth the extra $.

I use a kencove that is similar to Staffix and happy with it. Mine came with a 3 year lightening guarantee if lightening arrestors are install in the fence. My has been back for repairs 3 times due to lightening and the service is great.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Mains+Energizers_detail_EK24.php

RSL said:
We have used Gallagher in the past, and even parmak. We switched to Speedrite (Stafix) a few years ago and liked them so much I have become a dealer. They sell all the way up to a 220V plug in fencer and very good battery stuff. I have used the Patriots (same maker) and they are a bit less of a fencer. The Parmaks are not great, and here at least the Gallaghers are all about 2xs the money of a comparable Speedrite. The only problem we have had with our various speedrite fencers was when one fell out of the back of the truck and I ran over it with a trailer. I then proceeded to cut the cables off to run another spare. When I called to order a new fencer, my wholesaler said he could probably fix my flattened one. 5 days later the postage was higher than the repair bill and my fencer was back. That was about 5 years ago and it is still running.
Whatever brand, get the remote/fault finder variety. The time saved is worth the extra $.

Mind if I ask where you got your Speedrite fencer, UFA, Peavy Mart, Coop?

canadian angus said:
RSL said:

Mind if I ask where you got your Speedrite fencer, UFA, Peavy Mart, Coop?

I got my first one from Lamb Acres and now I buy them from myself. PM me if you want more info. :D

After 3 or 4 years of trouble-free service, I like our Stafix pretty good. It seems to hold up a pretty good charge on the line even with a significant grass or weed load on it until it browns off.

I don't have the remote control option for ours but it sure would be handier than running back and forth opening gaps or whatever to allow work on a section. I don't know how much that would add to the cost but it sure is time consuming if one has to travel even 5 or 10 minutes to shut a section of fence off to allow repairs or changes.

Thank- you all for the replies, enough of a variance to further confuse me (but i am easily confused), my vendor for Parmak has discontinued handling electric fence stuff. lot's of Gallagher vendor's around but as RSL say's about 2x the money for comparable joule output. a few stafix dealer's around but none that carry a full line. although the american made fencer's may be very good but by the time i get one sent they end up doubling in cost.

RSL are the stayfix the same as speedrite? and where do you get them fixed?

Saddleup, have been getting diodes,resistors etc at an electronic supply store in calgary PM me if you want more info

Stayfix and Speedrite are the same thing, both made by Trutest. I send my repairs to my wholesaler in SK who fixes them up for me.

we have a Baker 5000 it was made in Canada the company was bought out can't remember by who,
they still make them tho, nothing stops it, not even a steel post.
I think all the fencer's made now are good,
its just what you wanna pay for one
hell I grabbed aholt of a parmak 6 volt solar the other day
bout got knocked on my ass

I am sure that the cost to ship in to Canada would make it counter productive, but I can make you a hell of a deal on electric fence supplies. Staffix and Speedrite are one in the same and they have a tremendous product.

I think they are all junk, but in saying that, buy one that you can get serviced. I have stayed with Gallagher, simply because of the service. Have yet to find a Speedrite dealer who can service what they sell.

I have a bit of everything red snapper Gallagher parmak zereba and speed rite. They all seem to work but I will have to say the speed rite is probably my favorite with Gallagher being my least. Seems the only Gallagher that I can get to work it a 12 volt that has a car battery in it. The biggest thing I have seen in my few years of running electric fence is a good ground will make a "cheap" fencer that much better.

LazyWP said:
I think they are all junk, but in saying that, buy one that you can get serviced. I have stayed with Gallagher, simply because of the service. Have yet to find a Speedrite dealer who can service what they sell.

Two things that made me a Gallagher fan. As I drove around doing sales calls at Farm stores, I hardly ever noticed Gallagher chargers on the store bench needing to be sent in. Parmaks and other brands were there.

Then, I got to know the reps. They were certainly available and able to help out if needed. I will say True Test has certainly gotten better in that regard in the NW.

When I suggest a brand, I'm certainly not knocking the others. I'm only refering to those I have experience with.

I know I'm a lot smaller than most of you but I maintain about 5 miles of hot wire - - - I went thru 3 Gallengers before I gave up on them. The day I threw the last one away the biggest charger TSC had was a "Holdem" and it came with a ( storm guard ) lighting arrester.

This was at least 10 years ago and probably more like 15 - - - When I hooked it up it has a no load voltage of 8,000 volts but when I went to the south end of the farm I was only getting around 2,000 volts, put in a second ground rod and upped it to 5,000 volts, third ground rod and now it is 7,000 volts at the south end ( about 1 mile away ) All of my ground rods are copper clad steel from REMC and 10' long spaced about 15' apart and 2 of them are below the down spouts of the workshop.

This charger is rated at 12.5 joules and makes a believer out of the cattle but the dogs figured out you can listen to the fence and hear the pulses so they would hear a pulse then run thru without a shock.

Being as I raise German Shepherd dogs I then bought a Stinger charger - - - only puts out 2,000 volts and 1/2 joule but it is on constantly so I have a white rope wire around the bottom of the 3 acre yard and the dogs respect it.

If you can see the top 2 wires are hooked to the big charger and the bottom one is hooked to the Stinger

I don't know who makes this charger but I have never done anything to it since I hooked it up - - - with moderate weeds I still get over 5,000 volts at the south end and the deer can lay large sections on the ground and still get about 3,000 volts - - - If it is trouble free and dependable I like it no matter what name it has.

Would this cover the ground you guys have? I don't know but on 300 acres it is doing a great job.

Latest posts