• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fence Post's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AC Diesel

Reaction score
I've always used creosote post and been pretty happy with their performance. However the prices I'm seeing are getting ridiculous, I know I should just try to find some Hedge post, but I'm curious what others are using.
A fella around here is selling green treat posts from the Black Hills SD, are they worth a dang?

And what about the copper treated posts?

Steel posts when I have money cut oak when I don't you can buy green treat second's here for $2 or $3 each they seam to break easily if they get ran into.

All we use are the Green treated post. All we can get pretty much besides steel posts. They are consistent in size, the chisel point drives nice and they should last pretty good in the sandhills.
Creosote posts haven't been available to us for a long time now.

I will continue to use creosote as long as I can get them, even at the current price. Considering the durability of them, I think they can at least double the price of penta or green treated posts and still be a better deal simply because of the durability of them in our climate.

Green is all we can buy here. Gotta be the most flammable thing on the place. They will burn up and you'd never know they were ever there if it weren't for the staples left hanging on the wire. But, I'm pretty happy just to be able to afford to use store bought posts so not complaining :D

If you don't mind replacing staples every other year and posts every 5 years, use the green ones. Otherwise stay with either the creosote or hedge!! I HATE GREEN treated posts.

LazyWP said:
If you don't mind replacing staples every other year and posts every 5 years, use the green ones. Otherwise stay with either the creosote or hedge!! I HATE GREEN treated posts.

Makes me wonder what you are using for staples? There are several reasons I don't like the green treat but can't say staple retention is one of them.

Silver said:
LazyWP said:

Makes me wonder what you are using for staples? There are several reasons I don't like the green treat but can't say staple retention is one of them.
I find those "Doweled" green posts look nice but seem to spiral crack and maybe lose staples easier then the chisel pointed posts.

I use 2 inch double barbed Staples put in at an angle to the wire and post. These posts come out of South Dakota I think. Spiral crack and spit staples out bad!! When I was on the river, they would rot off within 5 years. They​ had a 10 year guarantee, but it still sucks resetting posts!

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to try some of the copper naphthenate post's and buy some more creosote. I pulled every steel post I could find on this place and took them to a consignment auction a year ago. I'd rather take a whoopin from Bernie Sanders then use a T post :wink:

Latest posts