• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fencing costs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
I was stunned yesterday...
We had quite a bit of fencing to do this year and next with some replacement due to snow plough damage, some due to age and some due to needing electricity instead of barbs. High tensile wire is $115 a roll at UFA, but went on sale at Peavey Mart and Coop for $100 about a month ago. I picked up some rolls at PV as I was in the right town. Yesterday I phoned the Coop to order some posts and priced out wire and it is $86 a roll. This is the cheapest I have seen 12.5 ga wire in a lot of years around here. I made the fellow check the price and read the description to me on the phone 3 times to make sure it was right.
What is everyone else paying for fencing supplies around the coutnry?

RSL said:
We had quite a bit of fencing to do this year and next with some replacement due to snow plough damage, some due to age and some due to needing electricity instead of barbs. High tensile wire is $115 a roll at UFA, but went on sale at Peavey Mart and Coop for $100 about a month ago. I picked up some rolls at PV as I was in the right town. Yesterday I phoned the Coop to order some posts and priced out wire and it is $86 a roll. This is the cheapest I have seen 12.5 ga wire in a lot of years around here. I made the fellow check the price and read the description to me on the phone 3 times to make sure it was right.

be REAL careful of cheap ufa wire as they have been bringing a lot of "of shore" stuff that isn't worth putting up. this is from first hand experience.
put some cheap stuff up a couple of years ago and took it down this spring, almost rusted through in spots, the ten year old "tree island" wire is still as good as the day it went up FWIW

hayguy said:
RSL said:

be REAL careful of cheap ufa wire as they have been bringing a lot of "of shore" stuff that isn't worth putting up. this is from first hand experience.
put some cheap stuff up a couple of years ago and took it down this spring, almost rusted through in spots, the ten year old "tree island" wire is still as good as the day it went up FWIW

I can't afford UFA wire. Same brand is $30 more a roll than Co-op for High tensile. We don't use much barb anymore, but like the 2 strand heavy stuff from Tree Island as well.

I am not sure on wire price but I know there is a large difference in quality between makers. Some of the 12.5 HT does not with stand the new england conditions well. Eight foot southern pine pressure treated post are rumored to almost double in price. I still have 2000 plus feet scheduled to go in later this summer at $2 a foot. My trip money to KC gathering may go into putting in another 1000 feet of high tensile.

PATB said:
I am not sure on wire price but I know there is a large difference in quality between makers. Some of the 12.5 HT does not with stand the new england conditions well. Eight foot southern pine pressure treated post are rumored to almost double in price. I still have 2000 plus feet scheduled to go in later this summer at $2 a foot. My trip money to KC gathering may go into putting in another 1000 feet of high tensile.

I'd spend the money on fenceing. I went Elk hunting last fall should have spent that money elsewhere.

2000' roll 12 1/2 gauge 54.99

4000' roll 12 1/2 gauge 94.99

6' T-Post with 5 clips 4.19

All american made by Iowa Steel and wire

Latest posts