• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fertile heifer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Fertileheifer800x600.jpg

This is my little "Bull's-Eye" heifer that has been photographed before, because with her facial marking, she is a "herd marker." She is a
fertile little gal. Looking back in our calving records, she was born on St. Patrick's day two years ago, March 17, 2010. She got bred
while still sucking her mother on summer pasture, and this Bull's-Eye heifer had her first calf when she was just a tad over a year old.
The calf last year was born on May 2, 2011. Yesterday, Bull's-Eye had her second calf, which also came on St. Patrick's Day, March 17,
2012, two years to the day from when little ol' Bull's-Eye was born herself. She raised last year's calf all by herself, and even though it
didn't weigh a lot last fall, being a late calf, it still brought quite a bit of money. Bull's-Eye is probably one of the more profitable cows
in our operation. :)

I have 1 like her she is going to have her 3rd calf real close to her 3rd birthday . She is not very big , It will be interesting to see how long they last ?

I've got a similiar story. A few years ago I had a weaned heifer calf go through a couple of fences and get in with the fall cows. She got bred to a Charolais bull and calved unassisted at 18 months old. She's had a calf ever since, but was a late calver for a year or two.

I have 2 three year olds that are going to drop their 3rd calf soon. One of them stayed on the smaller side and the other is one of the bigger cows. Those accidental teen pregnancies can be a real worry but sometimes it works.

I had a heifer calve at 13 months old. 7 months later she weaned a 600lb calf with no feed or creep feed. She has never missed since, made a smaller framed cow, which I like.

Latest posts