• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Few of the latest pic's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
Little calf that my Emily calls hers
Emilyscalf.jpg

Emily and her little kitty Stewart
EmilyandStewart.jpg

Warming it up
BurningPasture1.jpg

Still a little chilly
BurningPasture2.jpg

Getting warmer
BurningPasture3.jpg

Darn finally getting toasty
BurningPasture4.jpg

We are down to the last 6 cows to calve and have been trying to get the pastures ready for summer. We burned that one off to try to make it easier to clear some locust trees off of it. Darn I hate them things hard to get rid of and seem to spread like crazy if ya let them.

Stewart doesn't look like any "Little "kitty to me. :shock: He's one big boy. :D

Good thing you pulled thru with some picture from Nebraska cause Soaps down with technical difficulties. :D

Bmr wrote
Stewart doesn't look like any "Little "kitty to me. He's one big boy.

Ya he is a bit on the big order. I got him from a city feller that got it for his daughter as a house cat. Hmmm guess he wasn't figuing on him growing up.... :lol:

Sorry the quality of some of the shots aren't the best. I got out there burning and forgot a camera so I used my cell phone.

Hope Soapweed gets things ironed out. His photo's are so much better than mine.

Here are a couple more shots of how things looked a couple days later..

These will be mostly all gone as soon as the skid steer and cutter get to them.
BurningPasture6.jpg

Looking to the north..
BurningPasture7.jpg

Looking to the south...
BurningPasture8.jpg

Blkbuckaroo wrote:
What did you use for water out there?

For this burn we used a backpack sprayer and two four wheelers with 15 gal tanks. Maybe not quite as much as we really should've had but the wind was from the east and the south,west and north sides all had trees and creek so we weren't really to worried.

Richard Doolittle wrote:
I've never heard of having to clear locust trees. I didn't know they could be a pest.

Thanks for the pics!

The Locust we have around here grow like crazy and have stickers like you can't believe. They look sort of like a cactus but only bigger and longer needles.. They are nasty to cut cause if you get poked by them it will make a heck of a sore spot and swells and gets infected from the needle.

You are welcome for the pictures.. Wish I would remember to take more I enjoy looking at everyone elses and should share more from here... :D

porter
Don't you burn off those wood fence posts when you do that?

Well you have to keep an eye them as they can burn if they aren't in the best shape. The hedge we use for posts usually are pretty tough if they aren't getting to the point of needing to be replaced. We usually put Cody my 10yr old son on the 4whlr to patrol the black line behind what we light to make sure things are in good shape. We normally have a pickup with about 250 gal of water and a reserve of about 1000 on a trailer just in case. Fire is to be respected and used very carefully. I understand the fear that some have for fire but in this part of the country between the fields, creeks and roads fire is fairly managable.

RSL
Burning grass always blows my mind...

Well in this part of the country we have a constant fight with Cedar, Locust, dogwood, buck brush and so on. We have found that if we burn a pasture we can save a lot of money on spray and mechanical control. I don't do it very often but it really works when we get a chance to do it.

Nice looking calf. I like the eye pigment. rd
I do to and plan to keep her if she looks as good at weaning as she does now... :D

To give everyone a little history of the pasture. It has always been overgrazed (as long as I can remember). It used to be used for late season grazing, calving and winter pasture. It is only about 30 acres but it is about a quarter mile from the house. I have been resting it a lot over the last couple yrs to help it get back up in shape. Our normal stocking rate is about 4-6 acres per cow and it wouldn't last for a full grazing season with 7-9 acres per cow. It was a wreck and the trees were the other half of the problem. With a little luck by the time May rolls around it will be all shinned up and ready for cattle. I need to build a short half mile of fence to really get it back to what I want it to be..

Stretch,good luck with your project,if it were California you have California Department of Forestry-Now colled Cal Fire,Forest Circus,and every other fire crew overseeing your operations.Truefully lots of guys burn thier ditches,fields and what not.But under a very scrutinizing eye.For good reason :wink:

Latest posts