• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FFA Projects and a lil bit of my Yesterday.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
As you all know this year Mr Lilly and I have been very involved with our FFA Kids, next week starts their shows, First to San Antone, then San Angelo, then back home for a couple days, then on to Houston Livestock Show n Rodeo. We've spent many afternoons up at the school, givin them guidance in what to do on the projects, and how, Mr Lilly more than myself, I've been helping out with their project books for each project.
These kids have really busted their tails tryin to finish up projects that when they first started, had very little money to work with. They have really shown what they are made of. Some great kids!!!

This is a feeder that when they are done with their shows, we are purchasing. We'll most likely use it for Amanda's show heifers. That thang is just tooo dern purdy to set out in the pasture....lol
2006-02-09-006.jpg

This is a 20' gooseneck trailer, up until now, they've never had their own trailer to haul projects to shows on. So this will be kept by the FFA for use in the future. They done a heck of a job on it!!!! I wouldnt mind draggin it behind my truck any day.
2006-02-09-007.jpg

This is the roller part of an aerator they have built,(to be used at the school for upkeep on the baseball field) it's not put together on the frame yet because they've just painted it, and it will hafta be hauled with it apart, will be put together at the show. Trailers gonna be loaded, tryin to fit stuff on.
2006-02-09-009.jpg

This is a wildlife feeder/ seeder / fertilizer, multi use piece of equipment.
2006-02-09-012.jpg

They are also building a wooden saddle rack, dont know if it's gonna get finished for the shows or not. Right now they are concentrating on the major projects. There's also a pipe roller, bender that's almost finished, but it's all dismantled being painted.

Fresh hog roots, they are too busy rootin to see what's in the trap. :roll:
2006-02-09-003.jpg

Here's a neat lil outhouse, dont see many of these anymore. Notice it's leaning, and they nailed a board from the outhouse to the tree beside it to keep if from goin any farther lol.
2006-02-09-005.jpg

Oh my Lilly those kids have been busy I'm VERY impressed,Greg wanted me to ask if the outhouse was your reading room :lol: .When in Houston say HI to Goerge for me 8)

DAAAANG, girl!!! I thought I kept busy...heck, ya got me beat this week!! :wink: Love the looks of those projects ya'll have been so busy doing!! Take pride and make sure those hard-working kids do, too!! Darned good work!! :D

LOL nope, not my readin room, dont he know...only men read while in that "room". We got more important things to do.......

It's behind a lil house in town, I just noticed it yesterday. Lived here 17 years or so........LOL aint I observant?

The kids are very proud of what they've done. You can see it in their faces, even when they are workin. I am so proud we have the oportunity to work with them and that they have an Ag teacher that's willin to go the extra mile with these kids.

I don't know much about FFA,is it a school organization?If not I'm amazed that projects can be done at the school! Around here nothing extra is done in the schools let alone a non school project.

FFA is an organization similar to 4H. Future Farmers of America.......the kids that take Ag/Mechanics class work on the projects, those that are also FFA members are the one's that take the projects to the shows, nearly all of the kids in Ag/Mech are members of FFA. Amanda's age group, Freshmen, only have the class for one period, but the Juniors and Seniors have it for 2 periods, either way still not enuff time to get a whole lot accomplished durin class periods, so these kids have stayed after school and come up on saturdays to work on these projects.

Thank-you for that information,obviously FFA is very well supported down there,here we can't even use the school for 4-H meetings!Although the school allows 4-H members to take achievement day off.

Lilly looks like those youngsters are being pointed in the right direction,thanks to folks like you & Mr Lilly,have they ever tried restoreing old farm equipment or tractors,its pretty popular around here,there will be several at the stock show in San Antonio...............good luck

They haven't restored a tractor in I'd say 15 years or more. They would like to, and we have Mr Lilly's grandad's farmall cub that we've told em is available and we'll supply any and all parts if they wanna try to tackle somethin like that. Haymaker, ya should come out n have a looksee, while we are there. Aint too terrible far from where yer at to San Antone. :lol:

If I had the time Lilly,the only reason I would go is to meet you and Mr Lilly,cuz I have seen many stock show & rodeo's kinda the same stuff every year and too many people for me....................good luck

Haymaker,

It'll give you a chance to meet those ambitious kids that did a great job on all those projects as well. Kids like that usually have hope, ambition and fire in thier eyes. They also say some of the funniest and most oddball things, That's good medicine for anyone.

Lilly,

I sell equipment, tell those kids they did well for me,

PPRM

Oh yeah, the other great thing about these shows, these one youngs come back inspired,

PPRM

Latest posts