• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fightless Friday Recipe

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
Here's a "Fightless Friday" recipe we really like, and it's really easy and very filling. It's a great use for Hamburger. Even my Scandahovian hubby who normally won't touch mexican loves it. Requests it almost weekly :lol: One note about the recipe is that it might take more tortillas than what's called for in the ingredients...don't worry it still works fine!!!

Beefy Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs ground beef sirloin (95% lean)
9 corn tortillas
2 cans (10 oz each) mild enchilada sauce
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp ground cumin
1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in 1 can enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Spray 11-3/4 x 7-1/2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 3 tortillas in dish, cutting 1 as needed to cover bottom. Spread 1/4 cup remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas; cover with 1/3 beef mixture, then 1/3 cheese. Repeat layers twice, omitting final cheese layer. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top.

3. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F oven 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tortilla strips, if desired, tomato and cilantro.

Cook's Recipe Tip: Lasagna may be made up to 24 hours ahead through Step 2; refrigerate, covered. Increase baking time from 30 to 45 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 466 calories; 35 g protein; 46 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 837 mg sodium; 73 mg cholesterol; 102.5 mcg folic acid; 6 g fiber; 6.3 mg niacin; .4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 5.7 mg zinc.

Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 349 calories; 27 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 13 g fat; 628 mg sodium; 55 mg cholesterol; 76.9 mcg folic acid; 4 g fiber; 4.7 mg niacin; .3 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 4.3 mg zinc.

This is another really good recipe...I use stew meat rather than beef round tip steaks...I really like the flavor, but Mr. TTB is not fond of it...too many veggies for him!!!

Sesame-Soy Beef Stir-Fry
Ingredients:
1 lb beef round tip steaks, cut 1/8 ot 1/4 inch thick
1 package (16 oz) frozen stir-fry vegetable mixture
2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Marinade:
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark sesame oil

Instructions:

1. Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons. Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Add beef to remaining marinade; toss.

2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 minute or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove. Repeat with remaining beef.

3. Combine vegetables and 1/4 cup water in same skillet; cook over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until most of water is evaporated and vegetables are hot, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch mixture and reserved marinade. Add to vegetables; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Add beef; heat through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving: 277 calories; 29 g protein; 15 g carbohydrate; 10 g fat; 1335 mg sodium; 69 mg cholesterol; 3.2 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 6.0 mg zinc.

Those look great ,the mexican Lasagna esp.Question the enchalada sauce,is that the same as salsa??Greg loves anything made with black bean,thx.

Mrs.Greg said:
Those look great ,the mexican Lasagna esp.Question the enchalada sauce,is that the same as salsa??Greg loves anything made with black bean,thx.

Hi Mrs Greg:

Enchilada sauce isn't the same as salsa...if you have access to a store with a Mexican section it should be found there...or near the salsa and black beans. I hope this helps.

You might try salsa...I don't know how it'll work, but new recipes are often invented by those improvising!!!

When I moved to the Dakotas from Colorado I thought I might starve because our grocery (in a larger town) didn't even have salsa much less tortillas...

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

TTB your recipes sound great and are making me hungry just reading about them. :D What else does the MR. like? He sounds pretty picky, does he cook also or does he make you do everything?

lazy ace :wink:

lazy ace said:
TTB your recipes sound great and are making me hungry just reading about them. :D What else does the MR. like? He sounds pretty picky, does he cook also or does he make you do everything?

lazy ace :wink:

Lazy Ace:

Well, let's see...not much in the way of veggies...corn, lettuce, and spuds...that's it.

His favorite food is probably beer (is that a food??) but after that, pizza, steak, prime rib, ham, pork chops, brats, hamburgers, buffalo wings, so as you can see meat and potatos kinda guy. All except pizza, wings and ham with katsup, and lots of it. He also likes a pasta dish that I make.

As for dessert, chocolate pecan pie, peach or blueberry cheesepie, cheesecake, salted nut bars, and chocolate pudding pie.

And, he's a good hubby...does a good chunk of the cooking, and an even larger chunk of the cleaning!!! I hit the jackpot there!!!

Cheers---

Faster horses said:
Do you take husbands in for training, and what do you charge?

:lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :wink:

FH:

They can be trained???

I think I just got lucky...that's all, and luck has been said to be 75% of success!!!! Trust me I'd love to turn his picky eating upside down---I blame his Mom for that BS, but he does clean, so I overlook some things!

Cheers---

My experiment:
I like Fried Green Tomatoes but hate to pick Green Tomatoes before they turn Red and don't find them at the market

As I said a week or so ago – We had our first Frost so I picked all the tomatoes - Green and Red

The greens varied in size from marble (to small to fry) to (1) hard ball size.

I cut the small greens in half and put them in a Food Processor to chop - Added some flour and garlic, salt(?) to make like pancake doe. Ad Olive oil to pan and fry like pancakes - - Good with Stakes or…

In the market yesterday I bought some Tomatillo's (to·ma·til·lo) for cooking Mexican Food and got to thinking. (there all Most Year Around in the stores)

Last Nights Experiment:
I used "tomatilloes" in place of Green Tomatoes.
Tried with Mexican Spices, Cominos, Jalapenos to tast, Italian Seasoning, Tarragon, Thyme - - I topped some with Safeways Jalapeno Ranch dressing

All simple and good! - - You can buy canned tomatillos (Whole and Sauce in the mexican food section)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomatillos - pronounced [toh-MAH-tee-YO] Botanical name: Physalis philadelphica. A relative of the tomato and member of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family tomatillos provide that tart flavor in a host of Mexican green sauces. In Mexico the fruit is called tomates verdes, tomates de cascara as well as fresadillas.??The fruits average about 1 -2" wide and have a papery outer skin. The tomatillo is actually used when it is still green. If you see the photo below one of the tomatillos is just turning a light yellow and indicates that is ripe and past its prime for most uses. Tomatillos have a very tart flavor, not at all like a tomato.

Pictured
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tomatillos.htm

When you remove the leaves they feel sticky - just wash off with water

I went to our largest center today to do shopping,I figured I could get the enchalada sauce in Superstore because they have a large selection of ethnic foods!No such luck,I knew I had never seen enchalada sauce.So TTb or anyone else that can help me...whats in it so I can make my own and make the Mexican Lasagne Gregs been harrassing me to try.Thank-you

Mrs.Greg said:
I went to our largest center today to do shopping,I figured I could get the enchalada sauce in Superstore because they have a large selection of ethnic foods!No such luck,I knew I had never seen enchalada sauce.So TTb or anyone else that can help me...whats in it so I can make my own and make the Mexican Lasagne Gregs been harrassing me to try.Thank-you

Mrs. Greg:

I noticed last Friday when I bought mexican lasagna supplies that there was a powdered option (odd to me.) I tell you what I'll have my Mom who lives in a more hispanic influenced area than I hunt for a recipe...until then, pm me your address and I'll send some!!!! I might send both the dry and the canned.

Now if you were looking for a Scandahovian or German Russian recipe...I could probably help you out...those are the major ethic influencers here...

Ole---(Mexican cheers---)

PS BMR--it's Friday somewhere in the world... :nod: :drink: :nod:

Thank-you TTB give me a few days,my son is going into Edmonton this weekend and he said he would look there for me! I sure appreciate your offer and may take you up on it yet!

Mrs.Greg said:

Look for:
1) Old El Paso - Red Enchilada Sauce (Mild) or (Hot)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=Old+El+Paso+Sauce&spell=1

2) Las Palmas - Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (Medium)(Hot) (Salsa De Chiles Verdes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=Los+Palmas+Green+Chile+Sauce&spell=1

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Enchilada+Sauce&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello: Welcome to our Enchilada sauce recipe. This is a basic sauce, there are a lot of variations. Such as adding tomato sauce about 4 oz's to tone it down a little. Beef stock instead of water. Myself, I go with the basic, add some Salsa, chopped onion and cilantro.

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons shortening
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons red Chile powder
* 1 teaspoon of cumin
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 c. water
* salt to taste(1/2 teaspoon should do it)

Heat together shortening and flour. Gradually add remaining ingredients. Stir constantly until well blended. Cook 2 or 3 more minutes.

There are as many variations on enchilada sauce as there are cooks in the country of Mexico,and they are all good tasting. Try this one. green enchilada sauce
http://secure.foodwine.com/destinations/mexico/enchverd.html

Have a recipe that you would like to share?Or just to say Hello.
Click here to try ourinput form.

Home for enchilada sauce recipe

I use Legs and Thighs for this -

Green Chile Chicken Casserole

Recipe By : Los Palmas
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 16oz can refried beans nonfat
8 chicken breast halves without skin
1 packet taco seasoning mix 1 1/4 oz
1 1/2 cups Las Palmas Green Chile Sauce
1 cup monterey jack cheese lowfat -- shredded

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with Pam. Spread refried beans in bottom of baking dish.

2. Place chicken and taco seasoning mix in large plastic bag. Shake to coat. Arrange chicken breasts on top of refried beans.

3. In small bowl, combine enchilada sauce and cheese; mix well. Spoon over chicken. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

When I add - Extras:
Top with Chopped Cilantro – Shredded Jack Cheese – Chopped Onions - Diced Green Chiles - Sliced Ripe Olives – Sourer Cream - after it comes out of the oven

That the Local market today and I found pachages of

Spices
Mc Cormick - Enchilada Sauces Mix
Lawry's - Enchilada Sauces Mix
Both just ad Water and Tomato Sauce

Mc Cormick - Mild Taco seasoning
Lawry's - Taco Spices & Seasonings

If you don't find them ask if they can get them or cans of the real thing

Latest posts