• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finally an arrest warrant

Help Support Ranchers.net:

srd65

Reaction score
They finally issued an arrest warrant in the case of the horse that got stolen and beat in Ft. Pierre over the 4th of July. Story here

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/09/29/news/top/doc4ac27587aee86914600451.txt

Dahl is charged with two alternative felony counts of grand theft and a misdemeanor charge for the inhumane treatment of an animal. Grand theft is a class 4 felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.
That was WORTH the wait. They are going after him with everything.

Told ya just chill and give the invistigators time to get the case together and ready to be prosocuted and convicted. :D

Sounds like a revolving door at the Stanly County courthouse. $5000 does not sound like a big enough bond.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/09/30/ap-state-sd/sd_horse_theft.txt

I guess you would hate to hear what 4 felony counts bond is........
You need to check and see what the bond on most warrents are. Trust me they are not big unless its drugs.......
If the judge is sure the defendant will appear then she/he will post a low bond..thats all a bond is. Its not how much proof the DA has or if the case will be a guilty verdict.
I am sure they have a solid case now give them the support to finish.

He'll get probation anger management most likely a drug and alcohol program and make restitution. I bet he does'nt sit a weekend in jail.

That's just what kola predicted and why she was so mad...

SD needs to change their 'inhumane treatment of animals' laws
if that is what happens in this case.

Can't the owners go after them in a Civil Suit if they don't get
proper and just punishment?

Faster horses said:
That's just what kola predicted and why she was so mad...

SD needs to change their 'inhumane treatment of animals' laws
if that is what happens in this case.

Can't the owners go after them in a Civil Suit if they don't get
proper and just punishment?

I maybe wrong (won't be the first or last time! :wink: ) but the Dahl kid has at least two felony charges against him. I don't think it'll be a slap on the wrist for the felony grand theft charges; if he is found guilty.

He apparently has a tough time keeping outta trouble. The weekend before the arrest, he wrapped a fairly new pickup around a power pole and left the scene. The report insinuates alcohol and/or drugs were involved. And, I believe he has other offenses on his record. Judges don't look too highly on that. And, if you read the police report, it ain't too pretty. :mad: :cry:

This may sound very bad on my part, but I hope the kid gets a fair trial. Kola was very mad at me for asking that we judge him innocent until he is found guilty, and I think we still should. If found guilty, I believe we should tar and feather!!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

TTB, did you see on the news this morning where the homeless man got 15 years for stealing food?

And now if this kid gets off, is their such a thing as a fair trial???

I do wonder about our justice system. But I respect what you
said, for sure.

I just want the people who did this to PAY FOR IT!

And I would hope and pray, the Dahl kid gets his life straighted out.
He doesn't have much to look forward to if he doesn't. It's all
about CHOICES...

Theft Class: South Dakota
22-30A-17. Grand theft--Felony. Theft is grand theft, if the property stolen:
(1) Exceeds one thousand dollars in value;
(2) Is a firearm;
(3) Is taken from the person of another; or
(4) The property stolen is cattle, horses, mules, buffalo, or captive nondomestic elk.
Grand theft is a Class 4 felony.

Penalty for a class 4 felony in South Dakota

Class 4 felony: ten years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of ten thousand dollars may be imposed;

If found guilty...which I don't see why he wouldn't be, since he turned himself in. Hopefully they'll take it to the full extent.

Around here about 5 years ago a kid poached a huge old buck call "Fritos". The deer had spent his life on an Army base and got his name cause the gaurds would feed him corn chips by the bag. He loved them! Anyway, the kid shot the buck with his bow in late November. The buck had been rutting and had crossed a highway off the base onto private land. The area the buck was taken in is closed to hunting except for a 9 day rifle hunt in October. The kid then told everyone he killed the buck on an extended archery hunt above Salt Lake which was going on in Nov. 1 Giant problem.......Fritos had been all over the internet from tons of pictures. He was very easy to identify because he was 36 inches wide and had unique horns. The kid took him to a local Taxidemist who called the Wildlife office asap. The had him dead to rights! The kid confessed and took them to the gut pile because they went after him for being on the Army base. Every sportsman group i know was incensed and made a united effort with calls and letters to the court demanding a harsh sentence to send a message to all would be idiots! The sentencing day came and the panty-waist judge said he just knew the boy was remorseful and had taken responsibility for his actions! :roll: He commended him for turning himself in! :shock: In utah, poaching a trophy deer, which is exactly what this was, is a felony. He could of lost hunting privledges for life which would of been enforced by 30 plus other states! He could of paid 10,000 dollar fine and spent 3 years in jail! He got a $500 fine and probation! Lost his hunting for 2 whole years! A classic slap on the wrist! :mad: All because of some alligator tears! I sure hope justice is better served in this horse case! But i wouldn't get your hopes up!

Whether he turned himself in or not, does not preclude his innocence or guilt. An arrest warrant was issued for Flint Dahl's arrest, he turned himself in. That alone does not make him guilty. I think that if he had gone to the cops before the warrant and said I'm guilty, then he'd be guilty. However, in some cases, those admissions of guilt are thrown out for various reasons. :???:

I sure hope you all understand, I do not agree with what was done to this horse. Whoever is convicted, should pay the utmost price.

I do not know Flint Dahl, or his family. I do not even know of him. So, please don't say I am standing up for him for that reason. In fact, I am not standing up for him at all. I am standing up our rights as citizens.
As US citizens we have the right of being innocent until proven guilty. Many of our veterans and soldiers have fought and paid the ultimate price for this right.

TTB :wink:

Flint is the same little punk that wrapped his daddies pick up around a light pole just prior to getting arrested for the horse incident and walked away from the scene and didn't report anything. Of course he was so drunk he couldn't remember his name. The sooner that kid gets behind bars the better off we will all be!

TTB KEEP on saying as loud as you want
innocent until proven guilty
That is the corner stone of our legal system. We can voice our opionions all day long and to whom ever but the person is INNOCCENT untill they go in front of the judge and the JUDGE slams that gavel down.

As for this kid going in to "turn himself in" is not an admisson of guilt it was a way of getting a lower bail and making sure the judge was in chambers so he didnt have to sit in lockup long.

I say give the lawyers and the judge a fair bite at this apple.
I have a feeling with the state bringing in an investigator they will have thier ducks all lined up and ready to convict. We can tell stories all day long of some kid who got off scott free but you dont know the whole story...your listening to hearsay. You dont know if they did in fact have all the evidence to PROVE the guilt. Evidence is a funny thing if not handled right or not collected in time its not admissable in court.

Latest posts