• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finally branding pictures from May 5th

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
I finally have a few minutes to post some pictures from our first branding back on the 5th of May. The morning started out with a fresh inch of snow on the ground--we were to start gathering the meadows at 9am but waited a good hour waiting on one ominous cloud to pass. We did not want to gather only to have to postpone our branding till the next day due to wet calves. Luckily the storm broke and our day started.
branding_2012_009.jpg

We had a good 60 friends show up to help: 5 ropers, 10 or so sets of wrestlers, and the rest were vaccinators, branders, ear markers, castrators, ID ear taggers, and a few running around checking for lost ear tags, bad belly buttons, etc. Several young kids follow around with the "nut bucket" gathering the Rocky Mt. oysters and some kids follow around the vaccinators with markers identifying for the wrestlers that they got their shots and so the ropers can see the marks while a horseback. And of course several on lookers!
branding_boys_5.jpg

branding_boys_4.jpg

My almost 2 year old blonde boy and his best buddy stood at the sidelines watching with interest and had several conversations (understandable by only them) about how they will be a great calf wrestling pair in a few years.
"I'll get the head and you and grab the hind legs, kay?"
branding_boys_3.jpg

"Or maybe we will get to have an important job like roping...I wonder what we are having for lunch today?"
branding_boys_2.jpg

Grandpa decided to wrestle with my oldest 11 year old nephew who is much improved from last year; he is turning into a great hand!
branding_2012_037.jpg

Grandma earmarked...the hardest thing for the wrestler to do is grabbing the calf by the nose and lifting the ear to be notched while holding the calf down. A necessity in this country even with a good brand. We can see our ear mark from a good distance if done right.
branding_2012_033.jpg

Organized chaos
branding_2012_017.jpg

A neighbor on my favorite horse to watch in the branding pen...half draft and as quiet as can be.
branding_2012_019.jpg

The end result...
branding_2012_045.jpg

We have about 25 cows remaining to calve and we are going to have all cows kicked out (but the heavies) on spring pasture by the end of this week. We have to cross Horse Creek to get to one section and with the cold snowy weather we have had the past few days the creek is very low and we are going to run them across this afternoon. In years past we recruit loads of good ropers who park on either side of the high water just to rope drowning/floating calves as they float by. Scary to watch but with good help we have always gotten lucky results. It will be very nice not to have to worry about it this year! We have gotten our much needed moisture the past few days in the form of snow---now we need it to warm up and the grass will come!

Dear lord that's a lot of people to help. I could never get a dozen to help, that;s unbelievable.

4Diamond said:
Dear lord that's a lot of people to help. I could never get a dozen to help, that;s unbelievable.
We have a lot of great friends! And it doesn't hurt that it becomes more of a party than work---we usually buy a keg of beer, have a lot of food, and we try to time the branding day to be the same day as the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness horse races. We all bring a few bucks and do a little betting! For most of us ranchers out here this is about the first time most of us have even seen our neighbors since calving started; all are ready to cut loose and have a good time! We all recipricate helping our friends too. Most Sat and Sun during May we are branding somewhere in the area.

what kind of hats are those that seem to be a part of a lot of those WY cowboys? look like a ball cap with a short bill and flaps folded up the sides? I'd like to get one.

BlackCattleRancher said:
what kind of hats are those that seem to be a part of a lot of those WY cowboys? look like a ball cap with a short bill and flaps folded up the sides? I'd like to get one.
The locals call them scotch caps...they have ear flaps that you can pull down over your ears, most are fleece lined. Do not get Stormy Kromer hats...look for the brand Beaver Brand or if you get really lucky and can find Crown Cap, they are the best. These hats are all that the ranchers wear around our area--they usually don't blow off in the wind, keep the sun out of your eyes, and keep your ears warm!

Wyoming Wind said:
4Diamond said:
We have a lot of great friends! And it doesn't hurt that it becomes more of a party than work---we usually buy a keg of beer, have a lot of food, and we try to time the branding day to be the same day as the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness horse races. We all bring a few bucks and do a little betting! For most of us ranchers out here this is about the first time most of us have even seen our neighbors since calving started; all are ready to cut loose and have a good time! We all recipricate helping our friends too. Most Sat and Sun during May we are branding somewhere in the area.

It's just a different world here, love the diversity our country has...

Latest posts