• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finally some decent rains! Pond pics!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
Here we were during construction last year, late April to be exact.

100_0832.jpg

One or two decent showers put several meters of water in the pond. This pic was from last September if I recall correctly.

100_1126.jpg

This shot was taken today. We got a 6 hour rainfall two weeks ago and we're now 1.2 meters from being full.

100_1823.jpg

Here we are scrambing to finish the overflow outlet before the next major rainfall. Fortunately we'd made the cut with a backhoe a couple of months ago. Now it's the metal and concrete work.

100_1842.jpg

In costa rica, they had a tree the used for a post. The post when planted would soon leaf out and make its on tree that would last forever. Do they grow down there. Is there any place u can shoot some dove down there? We generly go to mexico, n the san fernando valley with a out fit call ruban hunts. Its just not safe down there now. We were lookin at argentinea but its a 10 day deal and a long flight to.

cowhunter said:
In costa rica, they had a tree the used for a post. The post when planted would soon leaf out and make its on tree that would last forever. Do they grow down there. Is there any place u can shoot some dove down there? We generly go to mexico, n the san fernando valley with a out fit call ruban hunts. Its just not safe down there now. We were lookin at argentinea but its a 10 day deal and a long flight to.

CH, we do have fence posts that will sprout but generally avoid them as they end up causing more problems with the fencing than helping.

Doves? Yeah, we have plenty of them....my favorite eating bird is a dove that looks very similar to the Mourning Dove of the States though it's a tad smaller and has a shorter, brown tail.

We also have plenty of the birds shown below. They're pigeons and called "whitewings" by the locals. Very wary but fun to shoot. My place is named after them.

Bare-eyed_Pigeon-2.jpg

Yea, I know about them white wings. We shot some in mexaco but mostly mornn doves. I don't care to eat dove. I'm a quail man my self. Do they have paid hunts overthere? Are green gos welcome? I know my crew would love to go somewhere.

cowhunter said:
Yea, I know about them white wings. We shot some in mexaco but mostly mornn doves. I don't care to eat dove. I'm a quail man my self. Do they have paid hunts overthere? Are green gos welcome? I know my crew would love to go somewhere.

The whitewings your guys shot in Mexico are slightly larger than mourning doves and not the same bird we have here. These birds are two to three times larger than a mourning dove.

Gringos are welcomed here, many working in the oil industry. I can't say though that I've seen any pay-to-hunt opportunities but I'll do some checking.

Oh, we've got lots of quail too. Slightly smaller than the bobwhites but with a similar call.

We killed a few quail and a rattle snake that ate well fryed up. They fed us real well and had plenty of whiskey and nochows and casadeas wright when we got back from the hunts. Do u need a passport to go there?

cowhunter said:
We killed a few quail and a rattle snake that ate well fryed up. They fed us real well and had plenty of whiskey and nochows and casadeas wright when we got back from the hunts. Do u need a passport to go there?

Yes, passport required to enter the country but it's easy to go through customs with a tourist visa filled out on the plane.

Whitewing said:
cowhunter said:

Yes, passport required to enter the country but it's easy to go through customs with a tourist visa filled out on the plane.
Cowhunter you need a passport to get back into your country as well.

My passports been expired. I'd have to get it renewed. Find out if they got any hunts if u can. I might be well enough but I have all ideays I won't.

per said:
Whitewing said:
cowhunter said:

Cowhunter you need a passport to get back into your country as well.

Not if he's a Cuban exile he doesn't. Obama said so. :D

CH, you just need a good cooking recipe for those dove and you'll like 'em! Wrap them in bacon and let them slow cook.

They wraped then in bacon in mexico. I just don't like dove. Maybe boged up in some gravey is the only way. I like dark meat on everything else. Maybe if u could wrap a steak around one. I sure like to shoot them. Or shoot at them.

cowhunter said:
They wraped then in bacon in mexico. I just don't like dove. Maybe boged up in some gravey is the only way. I like dark meat on everything else. Maybe if u could wrap a steak around one. I sure like to shoot them. Or shoot at them.

Well, they do have that livery flavor. One of my buddies mentioned stuffing them with apple slices to mask the livery flavor. I figure if it's that bad just eat a bag of apples instead.

I always wanted to just breast them and then soak them Jack over night, then wrap them in bacon, then put them on the grill. They are fun to shoot, aren't they?

Livery tastin. That's what I was lookin for. We kilt a drove of then and they gave them to the poor folks, except for the few we ate. That meskeete country is sure purty. Every thing that grows will stick u. If it were safe, we'd sure go again. We had 2 good hunts a day, a bird boy,plenty corona extras and good 12 gauge beretta shot guns. The food was as good as it gets and the rooms were good to. We shot about 10 boxes apeace, each hunt.

This is the 14th of June and we have had 15" of rain so far this month already! Rain is forcast for every day in the 10 day forcast!

I have not cut any hay and if this keeps up I guess the cattle will just have to harvest it themselves this winter. I have alfalfa that is mashed down to about 3' high but if you grab the top of a plant and lift it is over 6' in length!

We only plant about 2300 acres of row crop and got it all in early - - - -looks great! have our nitrogen on and have everything sprayed the first time, I guess this is a good problem to have.

Latest posts