• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finally we finished Harvesting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
We had a beautiful day today and it was perfect to finish up harvesting. We got done late this afternoon. Thank golly its been a long drawn out harvest. Been going since August the 12th. Glad to be done. Now if only we could all get better prices for what we produce. :roll:

Good for you! We are close. We would've been done last week, but it HAD to rain and the combine HAD to break down! It's in town getting fixed, we picked up a loaner today. Tomorrow we're going to do the last of the oats and the one swath of barley with it. When we get ours back on Thursday or Friday, we're going to put the little bit of canola through it and hopefully that'll discourage the mice from moving into it over winter. I'll be glad to say "we're done FINALLY"!

sounds like everyone on the Praries has had a poor year for crops ( wet, wet,wet ) hope nextyear is better. I do't know where in MB/Sask you guys are but I wes putting in some fence posts last week and after the first 6 inches it's pretty wet still.

Shelly said:
Good for you! We are close. We would've been done last week, but it HAD to rain and the combine HAD to break down! It's in town getting fixed, we picked up a loaner today. Tomorrow we're going to do the last of the oats and the one swath of barley with it. When we get ours back on Thursday or Friday, we're going to put the little bit of canola through it and hopefully that'll discourage the mice from moving into it over winter. I'll be glad to say "we're done FINALLY"!
It's always the "Little Things" that seem to make a difference in businesses, and one of the "little things" that I have observed on these posts is "putting a little bit of canola through the combine to discourage mice during the winter". How long have we known about this little trick? How much is a little bit? What did you use before the "Canola Chicanery" to fool the mice? If that works, that is a great idea!

DOC HARRIS

How do you keep the mice out of the cab?Yesterday when I turned on the air conditioner it smelled like someone had passed on.It must have gotten as sick of combining as Im getting. :wink:

clean out cab getting rid of trash and crop debris. Put in moth balls-put them in a cool whip container and also put out mouse poison. Also put moth balls in the engine compartment using the same method. Works GOOD!

DOC HARRIS said:
Shelly said:
It's always the "Little Things" that seem to make a difference in businesses, and one of the "little things" that I have observed on these posts is "putting a little bit of canola through the combine to discourage mice during the winter". How long have we known about this little trick? How much is a little bit? What did you use before the "Canola Chicanery" to fool the mice? If that works, that is a great idea!

A little bit is a little bit! 2 or 3 acres is enough, it's just to clean out the insides of the combine. Mice don't care much for canola, but they love oats and barley. We NEVER put the combine away after doing either of those crops. Peas work as well as canola but ours are all in the bin. We've been pretty lucky so far with the mice not getting into the cab. Only piece of machinery they haven't gotten into lately!

DOC HARRIS

hmmmm, we dont have mice get into the cabs.....simply because we dont have any tractors that have cabs.....makes for some hot and dirty hayin, but oh well.......
however we have had a mouse/rat....in the cab of the lil ranch truck that stays out in the pasture. That is until I went out and found a huge big ole shed from a chicken snake layin right up there by the dash :shock: ...aint seen the rat since.... :lol: and I haven't drove the truck since either(no way was I gettin in there with what looked to be about a 5 ft snake)...thank goodness I got my lil toyota now....

Latest posts