• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finished Pregnancy Checking Today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gizmom

Reaction score
We spent the past two days pregnancy checking 110 head of cows and heifers. We had 106 called safe with about 90% of those in the 90-120 day range. We are going to be busy the end of September and first part of October. Not only will our cows be keeping us busy our son Jacob and his wife Carla are expecting their twins during the same time frame!

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Different regions of the country sure are different. :?

Up in this country the vet would preg check 400 plus in a day. We expect 90% plus in 45 to 60 days. :D

We don't get the vet to do it but we don't check that many in a day either. Do you ultrasound of manually palpate? I would think the vets arm would give out doing that many in a day. For us we were happy with the % bred, We still want to tighten up the calving but after discussing it with Dr Lamb of UF I don't feel so bad with a 90 day season. He told me out west 60 days or less is obtainable, but studies have shown that it just doesn't work in our area. I need to get him to send me something on the study, I imagine it is due to more than just the heat and humidity, I would also think it has something to do with the low quality of our forage. We have been able to get the majority of our herd to a seventy five day season but just can't seem to get less than that. Dr. Lamb was impressed with that number but I still want better.

We generally figure about 100 head per hour. Could go faster but heifers generally take a little longer to check so slow the average down.

Good for you for a successful test. One always hopes for the best but fears the worst so it sure is good to get it done to everyone's satisfaction.

Arms Free Ultrasound Machine "the Repro Scan" is a awesome tool.
http://repro-scan.com

One your arm doesn't hurt when your done doing a few hundred

Just as fast if not faster than arm palpation

More fun seeing the pregnancy, even the different stages of the fetus.

You can check cows, heifers, at any stage of pregnancy

Silver said:
We generally figure about 100 head per hour. Could go faster but heifers generally take a little longer to check so slow the average down.

Good for you for a successful test. One always hopes for the best but fears the worst so it sure is good to get it done to everyone's satisfaction.

100 per hr is pretty fast 1.6 head per minute, you have more than one person doing it? like to see your handling facilities.
My arm is dead after about a hour of doing about 100 head.

Latest posts