• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fire killed rails

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Starvin

Reaction score
We've had a few fires around in the last couple years and I'm looking at all the nice rails going to waste. There was send to be crews who would cut and sell rails, mostly native fellows.
I inquired at our local dnr and a permit is $50, cut all you want. They haven't issued one in years.
It's tough and dirty work and I have no need of them myself, would there be demand in ranch country?

I guess it might depend on where you are located and what other options people have in your area. In dry places like where Webfoot is rails last a long time. Where I live the rot away too quickly. Ive built, torn down and rebuilt enough to not be interested anymore. I'd sooner spend the money on pipe and be done with it. If used pipe is plentiful in your area it might make rails a tough sell. Just my thoughts.

We got some great Railroad ties many moons ago up by Wood Mountain. They were light and easy to handle. We bought some another place in the US and they were AWFUL! We sure liked the ones from Wood Mountain. We kicked ourselves for not going back to get a semi full of them.

Latest posts