• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
So, a fire (lightning strike) fire started on the BLM next to us. The steep trail most of you have seen pics of, tonight. They didn't get planes for a long time. We don't really know how bad it is. Will check in tomorrow.

So, a fire (lightning strike) fire started on the BLM next to us. The steep trail most of you have seen pics of, tonight. They didn't get planes for a long time. We don't really know how bad it is. Will check in tomorrow.
Is there still enough water in Theif Valley Reservoir so they can use the bucket choppers? I sure hope they can get it controlled soon. We had a lot of smoke yesterday, but clear this morning. I am not sure where the fire was. We had the making of a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon but the only lightning I saw was striking over toward Mecham.

The wife said she heard thunder but nothing close. I haven't heard anything from our range land protection fire group about a fire but that would be outside our area.

The morning report called it 150 acres. I ran into the son of our head of the range land fire protection. He was sitting in a brush truck. He said they made an appearance last night and it appeared to be going the other way (which ever way that is). The government has to name every fire. They are calling this one "big rattlesnake". Appropriate for that neighborhood. This is all I know at this point.

We went to our leased ground and drove to where we thought it might have got to and couldn't see any black. I'm sure it did burn on us but not as bad as we thought it might. Couldn't really get to the river canyon but didn't see any smoke. They have a helicopter up flying so that is good, and cat and ground crew. Mike is taking pics so will post some later.
So thankful for the rural fire depts. Medical Springs, N. Powder and Keating were here. Neighbors showed up, called and texted to see if needed help.
I am sure it was all due to the Lord that it wasn't any worse. The wind was crazy but kept changing direction which really helped. the Lord!! The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16

Yes Thief Valley still has lots of water.

006 (800x600).jpg007 (800x600).jpg008 (800x600).jpg

I would bet it's more than 150 acres
That was the crack of dawn report online. Probably not the best report or detail. Details were hard to find this morning. The location map I found didn't have any of the roads on it.

I am happy they got it knocked down. And hopefully just mopping up. We have those high swirling winds going on again right now.

The Northwest Inter-agency Coordination Center called the fire 425 acres. Their website and maps are the most reliable source of fire information I have found. This morning I couldn't get their website to come up on the computer.

We went out to the where the fire was for the first time. Didn't burn on our permit at all, which was very amazing. Here is a pic of the steep trail last year and now. Sure wish the fire guys would've took a cat up it!

1660782678744.jpeg

Attachments

• 1660782575273.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
That picture of your good Hereford cattle stringing up that trail is awesome!!!! Sure looks like our country. I know this may seem strange, but I'm kinda glad they didn't take a CAT up that trail. Heck if it was easy, then anyone could do it. It tickles me to see people actually cowboying. Those cattle have made that trail trip for lots of years I'd reckon. And they didn't have a nice wide CAT track to follow 😁
Glad your permit didn't burn. Ya must be livin right

@Nicky Beautiful photo! I have never seen grass that tall there, especially in August. Of course, I haven't been in that area for 35 years and that was pre-global warming hahaha! It is the same in similar country here. I made a trip from off 730 by the river, taking the 37 to Holdman and I have never seen grass back there like it is now. Beautiful to see the desert with tons of feed. I doubt the ranchers will even have to feed much hay since that area doesn't get a lot of snow. The number of cattle they have back there doesn't seem to be making a dent. How long into the fall can you use your allotment?

Latest posts