• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

first calf heifer ? UPDATED

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andrews29

Reaction score
Had a first calf heifer calve yesterday afternoon. Mom went to cleaning calf and is very protective of her however when calf try's to nurse mom knocks her down or will kick at her. this went on for about 30 mins last night before calf was able to nurse. This morning mom is doing the samething. we have never had this before so any opinions would be great thanks Curtis

Heifers are such fun. :D The tough part is knowing when to put here in a chute or a halter on and let the calf suck or just let the cow het used to her calf. If ya wait too long the calf gets behind and weak. But sometimes the cow just needs a little time ti figure out motherhood. There are others with a lot more experience than me, but i lean toward the cautious side and let the calf get a belly full even if the heifer has to go in the chute. Then the calf gets more agressive and hopefully the cow straightens up.

2 to 3 cc of ace will cool her jets , she will be happy all day , Sometime milking the heifer out will make her bag feel better & she will quit kicking ,

Had the same thing 2 years ago. If the calf moved, she would try to kill it. We penned them separate. I would put the calf with her only when I was in the pen with my persuader. :wink: Then we would proceed with our training. When the calf would get to nursing and stand right beside her it was fine, the minute they separated a bit, she would attack again. It took about 4-5 days of this procedure with my persuader and then she was good. We couldn't leave the calf with her if we weren't there.

We only made one mistake, and that was that we kept her! :???: We thought that maybe it was because she was a heifer. Same damn thing next year. :mad: I think she is residing somewhere around the Golden Arches now.

If I can lend any advice to this thread, cull prices are good, once she is done raising this calf, SELL HER!!! It isn't worth the risk or time to be dealing with cows like this.

andrews29 said:
Had a first calf heifer calve yesterday afternoon. Mom went to cleaning calf and is very protective of her however when calf try's to nurse mom knocks her down or will kick at her. this went on for about 30 mins last night before calf was able to nurse. This morning mom is doing the samething. we have never had this before so any opinions would be great thanks Curtis
Aweful to watch, huh? We have had 2 in the past couple of years do this same thing, poor calf just wants to eat and the cow just wants the poor little thing to STAY STILL!!! DON"T MOOOOVEE! (that's what I think they are saying :) ) A word of caution---both of ours bred back and guess what they did the following year. The same thing. They went down the road and their calves got grafted on some lonely nice cows! Good luck!

North Ridge Ranching said:
Had the same thing 2 years ago. If the calf moved, she would try to kill it. We penned them separate. I would put the calf with her only when I was in the pen with my persuader. :wink: Then we would proceed with our training.
:lol: Several year's ago our older neigbour "trained" one up, after about a week or 10 day's he had to go on a trip so he hauled the pair to the mart. When the ring man waved his whip at her she planted all 4 feet and the calf dived in for lunch. He chuckled all the way home that no one could complain about her cause " they seen the calf suck right in the ring!"
:lol: :lol:

Bruce said:
North Ridge Ranching said:
Had the same thing 2 years ago. If the calf moved, she would try to kill it. We penned them separate. I would put the calf with her only when I was in the pen with my persuader. :wink: Then we would proceed with our training.
:lol: Several year's ago our older neigbour "trained" one up, after about a week or 10 day's he had to go on a trip so he hauled the pair to the mart. When the ring man waved his whip at her she planted all 4 feet and the calf dived in for lunch. He chuckled all the way home that no one could complain about her cause " they seen the calf suck right in the ring!"
:lol: :lol:

That is to funny. I don't like doing it, but talking to her didn't seem to help.

well she was letting the calf nurse this evening and calf was up running around playing with other calves so she must be getting enough.

Sometimes it just takes a heifer a little bit to get squared away. It's all brand new and pretty tramatic. If i had to give birth the H line would go extinct! :shock: Glad she's claiming and loving the new kid. :D

We had one on friday that the calf went missing until sunday evening I gave up on it coming back as where it was last seen is where a bear got one last year I spent hours searching the neighboring woods for it in the end it's back and momma's happy.

Latest posts