• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First cutting of Alfalfa..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
Oh what to do on a Sunday afternoon...... It was so muddy that I almost got stuck trying to get this little field cut..... :shock:
Swathin.jpg

I flipped the hay on wednesday afternoon as it was so wet under the windrow it wasn't likely to ever dry out.... Oh and notice the windrows..... That darn wind was a real pain and strung the hay all over the place..... :roll: But finally this morning it was dry enough to bale.
My right hand little man...... 8) He wanted to bale so bad so I stuck him on it for a hundred feet or so. He did well for his first time.
CodyBaling.jpg

But I figured I had better get it done so I traded the camera for the tractor
BryceBaling.jpg

Here is one of the finished products....
BryceFinishedproduct.jpg

And last but not least better get them off the field....
CodyHaulingHay.jpg

I have to admit I am well satisfied with the end results, I got 13 bales off a 5.5 acre field. It was planted last fall and went through a pretty darn hard frost and has recovered well. It was so tall (over push bar high on the swather) it laid over and in places I only got about half the plant... :oops: I tried my best but the swather just wasn't able to rake the tangled mess up as good as I would've liked. However the hay is going to feed real nicely next winter and that is all I could ever hope for.... 8)

what brand did you plant? we have several different types, and dome took the freeze better than others.... my kansas common took a beating ! looked greatin April, but that frost hurt it, and then the virus got in there.......not good!!

we are almost done with the first cutting, baled 680 acres this week, 240 to get baled up today, and just 40 of new plant to lay down, then we can start all over again!

Really nice looking stretch
we cut our coastal thursday and hopefully bale on monday
we are hoping for 7 (5x4) rounds per acre
after lassat year and the drought even 1 round per acre would look good

keep up the good work :D :D

Jigs wrote
what brand did you plant?

I had to look for sure but it is Jade III. The freeze really hurt a lot of the Alfalfa around here but it is coming around as time goes on.. So far I haven't really seen a lot of bugs or virus. But that isn't to say that I just am thinking some of the damage is frost and might be something else..

Jigs wrote
we are almost done with the first cutting, baled 680 acres this week, 240 to get baled up today

That sounds like my FIL and his custom business. It doesn't bother him to have 2-300 on the ground at once. Me I would be a wreck with that much on the ground..

Team1roper wrote
Really nice looking stretch. keep up the good work
Thanks I guess it is as they say even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while..... :roll: :lol: My older stands didn't produce the best but I need to tear them up and plant a new field or two to replace them soon.
I am currious I notice that in certain areas the 4x5's are popular any particular reason why? I really am not as big a fan of the big round as I am the small square. I usually put up 2-3000 of the little ones each year but I am needing more space inside. I bale up the rest of the hay I don't have room for in the big round. I am carrying over 1500-2000 from last years hay. I got lucky and grazed and supplimented with DDG and really helped me out.

Latest posts