• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First Ever Poker night!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen

Reaction score
Well we had a few participants tonight in our first ever Ranchers Poker night.

Haymaker, Faster Horses, Manitoba Rancher, Jigs, and myself participated, sorry if I've missed anybody that was under a different name. We played "Guts" for a bit and then we moved to the BlackJack table, but I think Guts went over the best.

Fast paced, but nobody lost their shirts.

We weren't playing strip poker, but would it have mattered, we were online.

We'll do it again next week and see who shows up.

The link to get setup again is www.tigergaming.net

No big winners or losers tonight, just a bit of fun.

Actually, the man made a ton of sense. He started with the packer's goals for the next 15 years or so and explained they simply had a justifable and logical business plan (not blaming, SH, explaining) for profitability. He pointed out that their plans are not necessarily in the cattleman's best interests and that, unless cattlemen get together and do their own lobbying, the packer plan will occur and our own profitability wll suffer. Bill explained how R-CALF has a plan of their own for cattlemen and what that plan basically entailed.

HE talked about COOL, M-ID, and the border and had some points on everything that I had never thought of or read before.

He also made a simple and direct comment, "R-CALF is NOT anti-trade" and mentinoed that he is getting tired of hearing that. R-CALF is for fair trade. It seems that you mention the fact that all our trade agreements are with beef exporters instead of importers and the opposition points fingers and hollers "anti-trade" and "protectionist". That's crap.

Several of us got him in a corner and had a very nice talk afterwards. Someone we both know from Nenzel asked him a few hard questions because he wanted to be able to discuss the answers and possibly squabble a bit and I got the impression he was satisfied with the answers he got.

I talked for quite a bit with our Beef Board rep. from Neleigh. I learned a lot from him that I would like to share with everybody.

You should of came, Soap. There wasn't any blaming or whining, just "here's the facts, check them out yourself".

Good question Soapweed......Thats the way most of these "fakes"operate.

Faster horses said:
Did he tell you why calves are so high...WITH THE BORDER OPEN?

Since they were so wrong on that, I'm suprised anyone will go listen to what they have to say.

Nobody asked him that, probably because anybody should be able to figure that one out for themselves; more slaughter capacity up there, much higher transportion costs, more red tape - all factors that have changed since his original comment. That and OTM's are still barred.

It sure seems to me that R-CALF gets held to a different standard than about anybody else around here. They are supposed to correctly predict the future 100% of the time and are accused of "lying" when the other organization has plenty of things they have been wrong about and from time to time they are "mistaken" or "didnt' know what they were talking about".

I'll poke you a little, Faster Horses - do you still listen to President Bush? Do I need to list what he has been wrong about? I can alphabetize or go in chronilogical order. :wink:

Sandhusker said:
Actually, the man made a ton of sense. He started with the packer's goals for the next 15 years or so and explained they simply had a justifable and logical business plan (not blaming, SH, explaining) for profitability. He pointed out that their plans are not necessarily in the cattleman's best interests and that, unless cattlemen get together and do their own lobbying, the packer plan will occur and our own profitability wll suffer. Bill explained how R-CALF has a plan of their own for cattlemen and what that plan basically entailed.

HE talked about COOL, M-ID, and the border and had some points on everything that I had never thought of or read before.

He also made a simple and direct comment, "R-CALF is NOT anti-trade" and mentinoed that he is getting tired of hearing that. R-CALF is for fair trade. It seems that you mention the fact that all our trade agreements are with beef exporters instead of importers and the opposition points fingers and hollers "anti-trade" and "protectionist". That's crap.

Several of us got him in a corner and had a very nice talk afterwards. Someone we both know from Nenzel asked him a few hard questions because he wanted to be able to discuss the answers and possibly squabble a bit and I got the impression he was satisfied with the answers he got.

I talked for quite a bit with our Beef Board rep. from Neleigh. I learned a lot from him that I would like to share with everybody.

You should of came, Soap. There wasn't any blaming or whining, just "here's the facts, check them out yourself".

{What is stopping you from enlightening us as to "packer's goals for the next 15 years....", and all the other things Bullard told you?

Same for the guy from Neleigh, and is he on the national CBB, or the NE Beef Council board? In either case, it would be very interesting to hear what he told you about the cattle/beef industry.

BTW, isn't it a fact that many of those "beef exporters" in nations you complain about being involved in trade agreements with us have, for the major part of the beef they might export, only non-fed lean beef. Can't you see that they might be interested in sending us some of the lean beef we need to ADD VALUE to our overly fat beef trim from our very high quality fed US beef? There already are, and can be more win-win situations re. beef trade for the USA. Each mouthful of beef imported DOES NOT mean another mouthful of USA produced beef will rot on the ground, does it?

MRJ

mj...{What is stopping you from enlightening us as to "packer's goals for the next 15 years....", and all the other things Bullard told you?

What is stopping you from going to a meeting where he is speaking and asking the questions yourself mj?

Tommy said:
mj...{What is stopping you from enlightening us as to "packer's goals for the next 15 years....", and all the other things Bullard told you?

What is stopping you from going to a meeting where he is speaking and asking the questions yourself mj?

Gosh, Tommy. That seems like a "sensible" question yourself. Pat yourself on the back. :)

Latest posts