• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First fire of the season

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
The neighbor called about 9pm. there was a fire in another neighbors pasture. I had just dumped my water in for the bulls and had stuck the hose in the tank. I only had about 50 gallons in the fire tank and grabbed the water fire extinguisher out of my other truck, Tammy jumped in with me and we picked up the neighbor just off the hiway and toured back into the hills to the fire. We were the first ones there, Tammy hit some spots with the little fire extinguisher and Ryan and I hit the leading edge with what water I had on. We had it under control before anybody else got there and it was only a mile of the hiway but one of those places that you can't get to from here.
A bit more help showed up and a big tandem water truck came. It filled me up and they pulled my hose down over the edge of the hill to soak down some Cedar and the big truck soaked down the edges and hot spots. Really lucky Ryan spotted it so soon after it started. I'm ready for bed but filling the tank and gassing up the pump before bed. :cowboy:

Just saw this! Sure hard to have fire season start so early.

Hopefully, it will be later here, as we have had LOTS of rain...….and about 3 inches of it gushed into our walk-out-basement! Came up through the plumbing and in the door. Not fun! We did have lots of help as dau. and SIL were here for our 62nd anniversary, which coincidentally was the date of this flood, the first since 1927, on Brave Bull Creek. At least is wasn't as bad this time, or the entire basement would have been full! Still have some clean-up to do but stuff which needed to be hauled to our dump is gone. Now we are waiting for 'experts' to tell us if walls have to be removed, floor tiles treated as "hazardous waste", due to asbestos in the tile!!!! At least, back in '27 the family didn't have government 'experts' telling us how to handle our 'recovery'!!! Back when built, the concrete walls were so cold, we put up insulated walls inside the concrete walls.

It did sort of seem like one 'wreck' after another for a few days, as our old, unused cistern, which we SHOULD have destroyed years ago, caved itself in, leaving a gaping 6' x 6'x about 8-10' deep hole in the middle of our deck. In the 'old' days, they dug a hole and plastered the sides, then set a large chunk of concrete with a hole for a lid over the top of the cistern. We knew it leaked, but since we no longer used the water except occasionally pumping it onto the yard, thought there was no hurry and we could cave it in "when we have time"...….Those famous last words sometimes end up taking a lot MORE time when one is busier than ever!

So...…….little harm done, and not too bad a mess to clean up, and now I "get to" decide on how to re-decorate the basement bathroom, guest room, and rec room, and the deck on the main floor level! The deck definitely will be my favorite part of that job! I'm not high on re-decorating rooms. I want it to be once, and done! Inside the house! That is why we have paneling and no painted or papered walls!

I do want the guys to put in a berm or concrete 'sea-wall' so the creek can't come inside again! Don't want to take a chance it will be another 27 years before another flood!!! We could put a sump-pump inside a 20' wide x 3' hi wall and end the problem...…..we shall see! We also have some deep ruts in the mud it is going to be a while to smooth out and get some grass growing on again. Our 'lawn' has always been just pasture grasses, nothing fancy, tho I did foolishly put down a very small, but nice, sod lawn once. Such hard work! and the native grasses pretty well took it over in a few years. Not enough water, back then. We do have rural water now, and some fairly nice shade trees, so it will do fine for a couple at ages 79 and 83 in July.

We are sure there will be lots of fences in the pastures to repair, let alone creek crossings washed out. Fortunately, our corrals stayed upright, but probably have some weak places and maybe a post or two gone and lots of trash to pull out of the wire( looks like very heavy woven wire panels) strange that I don't know what it is called!!!

Sorry to sound so negative! This, too, shall pass. And probably ultimately be the source of a few jokes...….someday!

mrj

Sorry for all your problems, mrj. We all love moisture and just aren't used to it when we get too much.
We had flooding here near Sheridan Wy. The town was basically underwater because of all the creeks that run through
town. I saw arial pictures on facebook that definitely showed LOTS of water, lots of problems. Our little creek didn't
cause us any problems but the ground was saturated. We have a lift pump in our septic tank, so along with too much
water in the tank from the rain, the pump quit. So a septic tank guy, a plumber, a new pump and now an electrician
and we should have it taken care of. :shock: It needs a different set-up so the plumber (who we trust and really like) is going
to design it differently. Other than that, gardens are late being planted and flowers too. Just too wet. Mr FH made me
a raised garden and it's too wet to get the dirt to fill it, unless I buy it bagged. That would cost a fortune! I talked to
the guy who sells topsoil and we will need about 3 yards! I'll be glad to get my little garden planted. All we have so
far is work and expense. Oh well. Hopefully we will be around to enjoy it for years to come. I did get a big raspberry plant for half price today! Now for some strawberry plants and I want a rhubarb plant. We love rhubarb. If I can get it done,
maybe next year we will have our own rhubarb. And raspberries. And strawberries. :D

Muddy, a lot of us would loan you some moisture, but we know it's feast or famine. I have never seen this big of a feast and we are in the "dry" end of Ne. Good catch on that fire, if the wind isn't bad you have a little time. More in grass than trees.

Latest posts