• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First it was Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
First it was Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer saying his state would begin an inspection process for all Canadian cattle entering the state, whether they remain in Montana or not. Now the National Farmers Union is battling the reopening of the border. The NFU has filed an appeal with USDA to keep the border closed, because Canadian beef products are government-subsidized and therefore represent unfair competition to U.S. producers. NFU noted the set-asides paid to Canadian ranchers to keep their calves off the market in Canada.

What about the cattle Tyson and Conagra owned that they shipped here in a box after they took the Canadian Government's handout? That was clearly subsidized - and subsidized to outfits who were making huge profits at the same time.

Ooops, I forgot, I'm bwaming the packah again. So sorry. :p

July 27, 2005 Wednesday 3:27 AM EST

338 words

CANADA MUST DROP UNFAIR TRADE SUBSIDY, SEN. CONRAD SAYS

US Fed News

WASHINGTON

The office of Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., issued the following press release:

As cattle trade resumes with Canada, Sen. Kent Conrad today urged the Department of Agriculture to take action to curtail an unfair subsidy of Canadian exports to the U.S.

"I write to urge you to take immediate action regarding subsidies of Canadian cattle that put American ranchers at an unfair disadvantage," Senator Conrad writes in his letter to Secretary of Agriculture Michael Johanns.

In response to USDA actions to protect the U.S. cattle herd from "mad cow" disease, the Canadian government instituted a $200 per head subsidy payment to Canadian cattle producers. Now that the border has been re-opened to Canadian cattle and beef imports, Senator Conrad believes these payments constitute an unfair trade subsidy of Canadian exports to the U.S. While the subsidy program was suspended earlier this month, Senator Conrad is concerned with the impact of the subsidies on herds of cattle now being exported to the U.S.

"There can be little question that the ongoing effects of these subsidies are contributing to the drop in prices experienced by U.S. cattle producers since the border was re-opened," Senator Conrad writes. "I cannot fathom why USDA did not insist that the ongoing benefits of this subsidy of Canadian cattle be removed before we allowed a resumption of beef and cattle imports."

In the letter to Johanns, Senator Conrad urges the USDA to demand that Canada completely dismantle the subsidy program before any additional Canadian cattle are sold in the U.S. If Canada fails to discontinue the subsidy program, Senator Conrad wants the Department of Commerce to impose tariffs that offset the benefits to Canadian producers benefiting from the subsidies. In addition, Senator Conrad is calling for the U.S. Trade Representative to investigate whether the Canadian subsidies violate World Trade Organization rules.

To Read the letter, visit: http://conrad.senate.gov/issues/statements/agriculture/050726_JohannsLetter.pdf

The complaining of selling subsidized Canadian beef is TOTALLY ridiculous! I for one as a cow calf operation did NOT get the susidy for the simple fact we couldn't sell the animals for a year and myself i couldnt afford not to sell the animals... i believe this went for MANY other ranchers i know. Honestly try and get facts straight and apparently some of your elected officials also should get the facts... :evil:

Quote from the article -"...While the subsidy program was suspended earlier this month...."
And then FROM THE SAME ARTICLE- "..If Canada fails to discontinue the subsidy program...."
IF??????? :???: :???:

:D :D :D :D :D
UnF'nreal!!! Where do you find this stuff Oldtimer!!! Doesn't Conrad have some literate staff members that can at least proof read his statements just to make sure they are no glaring contradictions in them!!!

Absolutely Hilarious!!! :lol: :lol:

one more thing,I believe the 200 is viewed as income under CAIS so in theory it's the same money just in a different pocket. Most of the aid packages had this flaw in that they reduced a future payment from a producer driven insurance that meets trade laws.

Makes you wonder just who is running that country doesn't it? :wink: :lol:

waterloo_boy said:
one more thing,I believe the 200 is viewed as income under CAIS so in theory it's the same money just in a different pocket. Most of the aid packages had this flaw in that they reduced a future payment from a producer driven insurance that meets trade laws.

And not all producers got the $200 Sask ranchers were to get it in installments and the last installment will not be paid as the BORDER OPENNED AND THE PROGRAM WAS CANCELED just like the Government said it would be.

All governments, including the U.S. government, have the right to support agricultural producers in time of crisis.
Canadian cattle producers have faced a crisis over the past two years to an extent never before experienced anywhere for such an extended period of time.
The government has provided some measure of support fully in compliance with Canada's international obligations.
The program referred to by NFU was designed to slow down the rate of cattle growth and can hardly be considered to be a production-increasing subsidy.
Nevertheless now that the border is partially open, this support program has been terminated.

Brian Schwietzer a man of high moral standards. From Cow Calf Weekly '"He was widely criticized as a U.S. Senate candidate in 1999-2000 for calling for the U.S. government to close all borders to imported cattle. Yet while campaigning, he led bus trips of elderly people to Canada to buy cheaper prescription drugs.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Brian Schwietzer a man of high moral standards. From Cow Calf Weekly '"He was widely criticized as a U.S. Senate candidate in 1999-2000 for calling for the U.S. government to close all borders to imported cattle. Yet while campaigning, he led bus trips of elderly people to Canada to buy cheaper prescription drugs.

Typical of the hypocritical actions of american polititians, and their ignorance and somtimes, utter stupidity.

blackjack said:
...redriver...to be fair we also have some of those kind down in Ottawa... :wink:

Ignorant and stupid, yes. But the US politicians have the corner on hypocracy.

Latest posts