• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

first rattle snake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I killed one of those foot long button rattlers last night. Got it on the road across the river and upstream about 400 yards from the house. Every year I kill some of those young snakes in that location. As many as 7 in a year. People say the reason I get so many of those young snakes in that location is because there must be a den near by. MC would know the spot. About 100 yards one way or the other from the sheep sign.

I recommend seeing if you get someone to drop a 2000 pound bomb there. Snake problem solved.
Too close to the house for a 2000 pound bomb. Maybe just napalm that hill. It is sort of strange for all the little snakes I kill there, I have never seen anything but the small snakes there. Got to be better than half a mile to the site nearest big snake kill.

Too close to the house for a 2000 pound bomb. Maybe just napalm that hill. It is sort of strange for all the little snakes I kill there, I have never seen anything but the small snakes there. Got to be better than half a mile to the site nearest big snake kill.
It's a chance I'd be willing to take 😁

I killed one of those foot long button rattlers last night. Got it on the road across the river and upstream about 400 yards from the house. Every year I kill some of those young snakes in that location. As many as 7 in a year. People say the reason I get so many of those young snakes in that location is because there must be a den near by. MC would know the spot. About 100 yards one way or the other from the sheep sign.
I know the area but not by the sheep sign. The last time I traveled the gravel road from the Bridgeport turnoff to Durkee was about 1985. They brought in the sheep about 1987. They must have put up the sign after that. I worked briefly with a guy that milked rattlesnakes and that area was one of his favorites.

I should have said I worked on a geology mining job with a guy that milked rattlesnakes on the weekends to make extra money selling the venom. I hate rattlesnakes! I don't even like looking at dead ones! I did try eating rattlesnake once when running D8 near the Snake River and the Paiute gal that did the fueling killed a 6' one and skinned it and decided to grill the meat. She made hatbands out of the skins and sold them as fast as she could make them. I had one of her masterpieces on my hat that was stolen at the Joseph Days rodeo. Rattlesnake doesn't taste like chicken, judging by the one bite I took before feeling queazy.

Last edited:
I know the area but not by the sheep sign. The last time I traveled the gravel road from the Bridgeport turnoff to Durkee was about 1985. They brought in the sheep about 1987. They must have put up the sign after that. I worked briefly with a guy that milked rattlesnakes and that area was one of his favorites.
The sheep sign is just up stream from my house before you get to the cattle guard. There was one at the Bridgeport end just down stream from Clark Creek but someone stole it. It warns of sheep on the road. These sheep are not rocket scientists. They would stand in the road a let you run into them. Domestic sheep are smarter than these things.

Check out the rattlesnake they found here in our county last week. I haven't talked to anyone who'd ever seen one before.

Attachments

• 8C70A105-D693-4761-9B4A-DA923B51A2E5.jpeg
    8C70A105-D693-4761-9B4A-DA923B51A2E5.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 35
Hahahaha. They said its a Ornate Blacktail rattle snake. I'd never even heard of them before. I guess I don't mind them as long as they never come near my house…or pastures.

Got my 5th rattlesnake of the year this evening. Kind of a weird one. There was a baby rabbit right by the snake. The rabbit was too big and the snake too small for it to eat the rabbit. Patty was on the quad. I was worried she would jump off to go after the rabbit and get snake bit in the process. But she stayed on the quad. A small rattler barely 2 feet long with just 3 rattles. But it ain't going to get any bigger. The shovel scores once more. Oh, the rabbit went off about 10 feet and hid. Hopefully it hadn't been bit.

The snake must have bit the rabbit. I checked this morning. It is laying dead at the spot I last saw it. I got the rabbit's revenge. The headless snake is also laying where I left it.

Last fall bought one of those blow-up spas, we got a long concrete covered front porch. The spa sits at the far end. my pregnant daughter and my wife were watching the 2 grand kids playing in the warm water. They look up and there a big bull snake under the trees with the bird feeders, but our 2 turkeys were in the yard too cleaning up spilled bird seed down a few trees. They spotted the big Bull snake too and would have none of it being in the yard. They hered him right along and down the road a but.

Yesterday evening I went on a drive up the canyon on Dave's mission to rid the Burnt River Canyon of rattle snakes. Got two. But one of them was smack in the middle of the Lost Dutchman Mining Asso. That is a private Asso of gold miners or people who like to play gold miner. Just a week ago there was 15 or so campers there. Took a picture of the dead snake in the road. Lifted the camera and took a picture of the picnic tables where those people gather every evening. A little too close to where people gather. Just to the left behind things is the care takers house.

P6282968.JPG
P6282969.JPG

SIL ran over one on the hill coming up to the house tonight, little over 2 feet, but it had 10 rattles and the button the rattles were almost 3 inches long.
"Sometimes small snake have big rattle," From the wisdom of Woman Chief MC, boss of nobody.

The sheep sign is just up stream from my house before you get to the cattle guard. There was one at the Bridgeport end just down stream from Clark Creek but someone stole it. It warns of sheep on the road. These sheep are not rocket scientists. They would stand in the road a let you run into them. Domestic sheep are smarter than these things.
Yes, they are dumber than a special needs turkey. When I worked between Oxbow and Brownlee, they ruled that road. I even had one knock back my pickup's extended side mirror when I tried gently persuading a group of them to get off the road. It was faster traveling through 2 bands of sheep on the Blackfoot reservation in Montana.

Patty had a scary one this evening. The back rack on the quad has an old carpet for her to stand on. But she likes to have her front feet on the fender as far forward as possible. As a result she falls off about twice a day. Any sudden braking or letting off the throttle and she goes rolling. So we went to go out to the front field.
As we get to the far side of the bridge I hit the brakes to get ready to turn. Patty falls off. And dang near rolls up on to a big rattle snake. I am hollering for her to get back on the quad. She doesn't like rattle snake so she needs no encouragement to make a quick exit. I don't have my gun or my shovel. The snake coils up for a couple seconds and then goes over the bank into the brush along the river. Patty has had the snake shot but we really don't need to test it out to see how effective it is.

Latest posts