• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fishing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My favorite salt water fish to eat is a trigger fish. Can remember going out for Snapper when I was a kid and the deck hands
threw them back in, saying they were just trash fish.

Yes, Reds are good and not too fond of Grouper. But Trigger's are the cleanest whitest meat in the fish meats. Flounder is great. The best fish for frying is a big ole Bluegill or Shellcracker..............................

I'll have to admit I've never tried a trigger fish. But I will if I ever catch one. I've eaten a "smooth puffer" before and it was delicious. I understand you need to be careful preparing them as they are poisonous (some parts of them). Their skin is loose (easy to clean) and there are no bones (Cartilage). What about a triple tail. Kinda like a flounder.

Faster horses said:
How about Walleye? That's a favorite here in the north.

There's a lot of fish I HAVEN't eaten and Walleye is one of them. We don't have Walleye here in S. Texas. But I understand if you catch one they will provide entertainment for a while.

lavacarancher said:
Faster horses said:
How about Walleye? That's a favorite here in the north.

There's a lot of fish I HAVEN't eaten and Walleye is one of them. We don't have Walleye here in S. Texas. But I understand if you catch one they will provide entertainment for a while.

They are great fun and great eating. They go deep when it gets hot, so they are for early fishing and fall fishing.

It's getting close to Fall and the flounder run will begin soon. I may not be able to fish for them this year because boat has a hole in the bottom as a result of hitting a fire hydrant (during the rescue attempt of Harvey victims). I don't think it's all that difficult to fix - just don't have the inclination, strength or time. Maybe someone will take me out in their boat (fat chance).

A young feller and his Mom came by the ranch house the other day and I just had to take them to the tanks (ponds) to show them the fish. As luck would have it it was the right time for the feeders to go off and I think the young man got a little scared with all the fish flopping around scarfing up the food. Got a good crop of catfish, bass and tilapia this year. Three or four 25lb catfish came up in one of the tanks. Boy Scouts will have a ball this year catching fish. I'll try to post some pictures if I can figure that out.

I just cant seem to find the energy to go. Ive been on a couple for business fishing trips this year . caught a lot of snapper , HAve not been red fishing since 11 down on pecan island LA . Im 60 miles from gulf but we have a couple of river and a big lake and lots of ponds I fish in when I go. Love to set lines and catch catfish

Latest posts