• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Flying P Cattle Company Introduces shorties to their lineup!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
It's true, it's true. All the rumors of me getting a shorthorn are true :lol: :lol: . I got her today from our neighbours, Blaine and Rayleen Possberg (sure hoped I spelled it right) of Star P Farms. They started bugging me about it last year, and this time around, I thought, What the heck, Im gonna try a shortie and cross it with my angus bull for a show calf.

Her name is Star P Silver Rose 5S, but ehr tag says 101S, lol, her sire is JT Prince 42P, and her registration number is -[CAN]F682719-.

Next weekend we hope to pick her up and keep her here (corrals aretn ready yet) and Ill post some pics ASAP. She is all red too, btw. I was hoping for a roan, but I'll take her ver most roans any day lol.

Have a good one, and good luck with the upcoming calving season.

TY, but my main herd is Angus based (all 8 of them :oops: :p :lol: 8) )But im trying to produce the best british based momma cow and/or show steer a guy can.

Still gonna stay with ACS, might change to Flying p cattle co or FPCC or something like that so dont discriminate Rose. lol.

congrats on the new cow. Don't know the canadian genetics to well but am sure she will be fine. ONCE YOU GO SHORTHORN U NEVER GO BACK. LOL

Yup shorthorns right,,,never been a bad shorthorn. Gregs gonna be proud of you kid..now to get rid of the Angus,and you'll have a good herd :wink: :lol: :lol:

ACS, This is none of my business...... but are you sure about that "Flying Pee" name for your outfit??
It sounds catchy enough, but for me it conjures up images of incontinent cowboys and cattle pissing into the wild prairie wind.
Do what you like but I would re-think it if I was you.
:D :wink: :wink:

Angus Cattle Shower said:
The angus stay, not sure about my herf cross cow though, I may replace her with a shorty :lol:

There is nothing wrong with a hereford cow bred black shorthorns are fine I would'nt sell a productive cow just to have a different breed in the pen.Just take it slow you'll get there soon enough.I would pick a breed and stick with it a consistent calf crop is whats going to sell in years to come.

TimH said:
ACS, This is none of my business...... but are you sure about that "Flying Pee" name for your outfit??
It sounds catchy enough, but for me it conjures up images of incontinent cowboys and cattle pissing into the wild prairie wind.

that was funny as hell!!! I laughed for hours!!!!!!!!!

what the hell would he use for a brand???several come to mind, but would not look good!

Just think ACS of the catchy logo you could use with the flying Pee............course you might have to change your name to Kelvin or is it Calvin??

TimH said:
:lol: :lol:

This 'Flying P' thing has images in my head of bucking mares flinging urine everywhere when they buck. Funny how I never thought of it until Tim planted the thought.........

My brand is P over lazy 3, otherwise known as P over wings, therefore, Flying P. lol. P Is my last inital :lol: Alex Glenn P--------t. not gonna put my last name on here tho.

Denny, I figger if I really like this shorte/angus calf,then Im going to sell the herf and get another shortie, I want to produce show stock, not feedlot cattle. If they dont turn out, they go, No use keeping a cow that doesnt do her job. :D Have to admit that the herf has loads of milk.

Kalvin it is, cowsence, and put the word Limousin down there lmao!

My brand is P over lazy 3, otherwise known as P over wings, therefore, Flying P. lol. P Is my last inital :lol: Alex Glenn P--------t. not gonna put my last name on here tho.

A true flying P would have "little" quarter circles coming off the sides of the top of the P (like wings)... I have a friend that has the Flying N (monogrammed) horse brand on the jaw which is really neat....

I guess having a Flying P is better than having a 2 lazy 2 P.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:

A true flying P would have "little" quarter circles coming off the sides of the top of the P (like wings)... I have a friend that has the Flying N (monogrammed) horse brand on the jaw which is really neat....

I guess having a Flying P is better than having a 2 lazy 2 P.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Or the "Lazy PP"......or the "Lazy SOB". :D

ACS, Do you have a market for show cattle? In your "business plan", have you allowed for the extra facilities that show cattle require? I hope that you find success in your plan, but from what we have seen from pictures you do not have facilites to properly care for true "show cattle", do you have the knowledge to make them look right? Again from what we have seen in pictures the cattle have not been in condition or represented as show cattle. I am not trying top be disrespectful, I am just curious as to how you are going to make money producing said caliber of calf, when from all of your pictures it is clearly not there, and a less than stellar track record of completly breaking calves out. If you are doing this for your own satisfaction that is one thing, doing it for a $ is a completly diffrent creature. Much luck in your endeaver.

AB, Ive been doing this for a few years, Ive taken the angus show at prarieland, Grand Cow, Supreme female in humboldt, and supreme at our acheivement days, so I cant b doing all of this wrong. The only pictures ive shown was the old alleyway that we use to tie the calves to (a post is a post is a post). My PB bull right now is the biggest calf on the pasture, and I just need someone to take me seriously, the people Ive talked to have said no because they arent going to buy from a 14 year old kid. My neighbour said he should be at agribition, and they took reserve shortie bull, but they dont use any angus.

I plan AI'ing her to Midland, Im doing this for my own use, unless I can get a real good price :p.

My last steer was sold before the show so we had to show july born calves, otherwise I would have had a real nice one :S, I want to make enough to get into university, and buy my own place that noone can get from me someday.

Thanks!! :D :D

It is a great thing that you want to generate enough money to further your education. My only point, and you eluded to it, even if you didn't realize it was can you as a 14 year old generate enough money to offset the extra money that show cattle require in terms of preparation as opposed to just selling the money making kinds of feeder cattle right off the cow, or pre-con'd for 45 days? Please understand that I am not attacking you, I am just curious and have a crystal clear idea of how much money you can lose with those glitter kind of calves. Just remember no matter how big or small the show it is always one blind man's opinion. That being said the final line in the ring is what makes print and very few people remember who stood second or third in class. I do not know how your calf market is where you live, but around here you cannot make enough money with county caliber calves to justify doing it. We have found that if you don't do it on a national level, then it won't pay, and even on a national level many times it does not pay. Much luck.

I have it planned out that if I can get a good calf out of each cow, (5 this year), and assuming half are heifers, so that gives me three steers (hopefully), I will keep one intact, because someone asked for a simmie angus bull, that gives me two show steers. I can sell them at fall fair foe 1200, IF everything work out. keep this up each year. I keep addind one animal to my breeding herd each year. I retain most of the heifers. Im not planning on having enough for all of my tuition with this, but it will sure help. BTW, a feeder steer at 800 lbs right now is 700 I think, its what the neighbour got for his steers at the beginning of september.

I know that it is a different opinion each time, thats why I goback again and again, for some honest criticism, and see what other people look for in a good calf, then I can try to compose all of it and make an ideal breeding animal.

Latest posts