• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Foals

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Spanish Johhny

Reaction score
where the deer and the antelope play AB CA
So here's the deal. My wife and I are planning on buying two weanling foals this fall from a breeder/trainer whose judgement I trust. I asked him if a guy like me, (no horse experience but around livestock/cattle all my life), could train these horses to just take us out and check cows. No competition, not gonna make cutting horses, etc., just want to ride. I think / know I can do this with some training for myself, we have the facilities and we'd love to have two foals to work with. However when my wife tells some of her friends they just roll their eyes!! Some of these women do have horse experience some not.
So I'd said to her, I'd just check with you guys. Thoughts?

myself I would much prefer to buy a dead broke ranch gelding.I'm no horse trainer and have done the colt thing I'd pass myself.

You can do it, IF you are willing and able to do everything they need to learn to allow them to become the horse(s) you want. That goes from picking up their feet, to de-sensitizing, to working with both the right and left side, to flexing (giving to the bit), to the first saddling, driving them and stepping on them the first time. Do you have a safe pen to work with them? They'll need to be separated or you could possibly get two horses that are very herd bound. That's really fun! not. Mostly, do you have the time this will take? I'm talking hours and hours and days and months. You can do some ground work initially but nothing serious until their knees close. Don't expect a seasoned, trustworthy horse at 2 or 3 years of age. With a lot of work, wet saddle blankets and many miles, you'll have something when they're about 5. Maybe. Short answer would be to re-read what Denny said.

I have been around horses all of my life, and have either started or worked with young horses, most of it. My advice is go buy a dead broke horse. Learn to ride on it. There is nothing worse for you or the horse, then neither one of you knowing what to do or expect.
As I said, I have been doing this for well over 45 years, and I learn something everyday, while working with horses.

I would advise that you learn to ride from a horse that can teach you. It is pretty dangerous business to learn and grow together. Get some experience and find out if it is something you will really enjoy, then decide to invest the time and money in training your own horse.

My suggestion pretty well mirrors the others here. Since you admit your limited experience, my preference would be two well broke geldings. You might also want to considered enrolling in a riding clinic if you have absolutely no prev. riding experience, The basic clinic to teach tacking up, mounting etc might be what you want. After you have ridden a few years, then decide whether of no you want to start some yearlings, Its a big responsibility to see it thru . to do it right. Good luck on your venture. I think your on the right track choosing a horse.... :D

I agree with everyone else here. Get a horse, or 2, that have been there, done that. Since you have said you haven't worked with horses, you have no idea how much you don't know. I don't mean to insult you, that is just a fact. Horses are so sensitive they know when there is a fly on their back. It's so easy to do the wrong thing and then you have a problem. It's also
easy to get hurt.

Like Pat Parelli says, "Green on green=broken bones."

You were very wise to ask for advice. You have received a unanimous response so far. I would suggest you attend a horsemanship clinic so you have some idea about horses or take some riding lessons. That would be a great and safer way to start.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I think that you are getting a lot of good advice from people. I would like to add that there is quite a time commitment as well. At a couple of times a week it could take years to get them really broke, taking into account your inexperience. If you buy something broke now you can just get on with learning to ride and checking cows rather than waiting 2 years before you can even start. Good luck with what you decide.

Faster horses said:
I agree with everyone else here. Get a horse, or 2, that have been there, done that. Since you have said you haven't worked with horses, you have no idea how much you don't know. I don't mean to insult you, that is just a fact. Horses are so sensitive they know when there is a fly on their back. It's so easy to do the wrong thing and then you have a problem. It's also
easy to get hurt.

Like Pat Parelli says, "Green on green=broken bones."

You were very wise to ask for advice. You have received a unanimous response so far. I would suggest you attend a horsemanship clinic so you have some idea about horses or take some riding lessons. That would be a great and safer way to start.

Good luck whatever you decide.

My Green horse and my green experience and I've rode alot over the years cost 4 broken bones and about $35,000.00

$4,000 on a good horse that's fun to ride is money well spent. Probably wouldn't have to spend that much, depending. One that you can go ride right now as opposed to training and fretting with and possibly making mistakes with for 3 or 4 years. That'd be my preference. Plus, you're talking about 2 head, that's a handful of colts to break.

We're all piling it on now! Sorry. :oops:

My preference would be to go the broke gelding route. BUT if you are actually interested in the process of getting a horse to the point you can steer it around the pasture I'm sure you can accomplish that if you have any animal savvy at all and I bet you do. If you are as interested in the process as you are the result I would say go for it. But if you are more interested in the end result I would say save yourself the trials and tribulations and buy the finished product. Just my 2 cents

I will echo everyone else's sentiments as well, if for no other reason than the time you have to wait to have a horse you'll enjoy and feel safe on, especially for your Mrs. That's what always tormented me, was the years that go by before you can actually ride them comfortably in any situation.

Best of luck whatever you do.

You are obviously humble enough to ask for advice, so you have an excellent start in the attitude needed to start colts. We have started, used, and sold a lot of young horses. I agree with everyone else, buy a couple really good horses, so you can enjoy them right away.

Well..............................That was humbling! Most of your points are ones we've been thinking about already. Time, commitment, safety etc. Realistically I 'spose, at our age (crowding 60), quite probably the window of opportunity for doing this has passed. As a friend said, "I don't bounce like I used to." And I do NOT want to ruin a young foal only to have to dump her at the local auction barn in frustration.
Thanks everyone for the advice, it was taken with great appreciation.
Hey.........................you probably just saved my life!!

Since you are as humble as you are, I will through this idea out there. If your horse trainer/seller is truly a good friend. buy a couple foals. Love on them, and have the trainer do/help get them going.
When we were in down south, we did that all the time. The biggest problem is you are 3 years in getting a usable horse. A good weanling will sell for anywhere from $15 to $2000. Then you have to feed them for 2 years before you start riding them. Then, you are going to have to pay the trainer. I don't know anyone that isn't charging $600 or more.
For the same money, you can go buy a good, well broke horse that you can ride today.

Latest posts