• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Food for Though!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Times change problems stay the same.

Subject: Timely quote that's 200 yrs old

America's Future is not guaranteed....
Sir Alex Fraser Tytler, noted Scottish jurist and historian, wrote over 200 years ago on the fall of the Athenian Republic:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves large assets from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependency back again unto bondage." :roll:

Quote- "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves large assets from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury........"

Kinda puts me in mind of the majority,located in Eastern Canada, continually electing and re-electing @#$%^&*% Liberals. :x :x

"Kinda puts me in mind of the majority,located in Eastern Canada, continually electing and re-electing @#$%^&*% Liberals "

Which part or parts are ready to secede and join the good old US of A?

Sure would solve this import export thing! :lol: :wink:

Juan, I thought of you and picturesque cattle today when my wife and I bought a nifty framed art print at the Fort Robinson art show. It shows an old unpainted dilapidated building, nearly falling down, but you can still read "Hereford Hotel" up high on the false front of the building. Grass is growing up all around the old town sight, and a cowboy is riding his horse behind five Hereford cows and a calf. Two more Hereford cows are emerging from the depths of the old hotel. It measures 14" x 20" without the frame, and was painted by a lady named Marilyn Frisbie from McDonald, Kansas. She did a great job with the picture.

Somehow if the picture would have read "Angus Hotel" and depicted black cattle, it just wouldn't have been as buyable. :? :)

I am going to risk getting assassinated for this comment but I'm going to go ahead and make it.

The difference between communism and democracy is that the democracy will take a little longer to deteriorate into the scenario described in the top of this thread.

The factor that causes either to fail is not the type of government, but the basic corruption of human nature.

The reason the great democracies of the West have succeeded as well as they haveis because they were founded on Christian principles. Remove those, and the system will dissolve into moral decay. Democracy is powerless when separated from Christianity. Call me a bigot if you like, but history lends strong support to that thought. G.W. is wasting his time trying to bring democracy to the Muslims. It won't work. Can't work. Round peg in a square hole.

You know what is really scary folks? The last step before the destruction of a country is usually the broad acceptance of unthinkable immorality. We have just been witnesses to a very dark day in the history of Canada in the recent past.

And don't you Americans go getting all smug because homosexuality is not given the same rights down there as here in Canada. You are one election away from being in the same boat as we are. God help us all.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
I am going to risk getting assassinated for this comment but I'm going to go ahead and make it.

The difference between communism and democracy is that the democracy will take a little longer to deteriorate into the scenario described in the top of this thread.

The factor that causes either to fail is not the type of government, but the basic corruption of human nature.

The reason the great democracies of the West have succeeded as well as they haveis because they were founded on Christian principles. Remove those, and the system will dissolve into moral decay. Democracy is powerless when separated from Christianity. Call me a bigot if you like, but history lends strong support to that thought. G.W. is wasting his time trying to bring democracy to the Muslims. It won't work. Can't work. Round peg in a square hole.

You know what is really scary folks? The last step before the destruction of a country is usually the broad acceptance of unthinkable immorality. We have just been witnesses to a very dark day in the history of Canada in the recent past.

And don't you Americans go getting all smug because homosexuality is not given the same rights down there as here in Canada. You are one election away from being in the same boat as we are. God help us all.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think homosexuality has anything to do with the corruption of human nature. The corruption of human nature, to me anyway, has more to do with the lack of caring and feeling towards one's fellow man, when one adopts the 'me, me, me' syndrome. Communism fails when the people get tired of being stepped on, used, degraded, and ground into a pulp and finally revolt. Democracy fails when people can no longer think for themselves and rely on the government to tell them how to think, what to believe, and solve their problems. Neither has anything to do with homosexuality. I am perfectly capable of coming to my own conclusions as to morals, opinions, ideals, thoughts, beliefs based on what works for me. I don't need the governments help. And no, I'm not assassinating (sp?) you, simply offering another viewpoint.

Jeannie
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think homosexuality has anything to do with the corruption of human nature. The corruption of human nature, to me anyway, has more to do with the lack of caring and feeling towards one's fellow man, when one adopts the 'me, me, me' syndrome. Communism fails when the people get tired of being stepped on, used, degraded, and ground into a pulp and finally revolt. Democracy fails when people can no longer think for themselves and rely on the government to tell them how to think, what to believe, and solve their problems. Neither has anything to do with homosexuality. I am perfectly capable of coming to my own conclusions as to morals, opinions, ideals, thoughts, beliefs based on what works for me. I don't need the governments help. And no, I'm not assassinating (sp?) you, simply offering another viewpoint.
Good Post Jeannie :wink:

Another View

Over the years "My God" has demanded that I think - HE then guides my thoughts!

God is aware of human suffering and He/She is willing to intervene, but He/She is also both able and willing to break the laws of nature that HeShe established.

Once we know this, words like "impossible" "Race" "Muslim" "Homosexual" or "Christian" no longer have any meaning. While it is indisputably true some outcomes are more likely to occur than others, the laws of nature are, in the final analysis, only creations. No matter how enslaved we are to external or internal "masters," there is always reason to hope.

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Jeannie
Good Post Jeannie :wink:

Thank you!

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Another View

Over the years "My God" has demanded that I think - HE then guides my thoughts!

God is aware of human suffering and He/She is willing to intervene, but He/She is also both able and willing to break the laws of nature that HeShe established.

Once we know this, words like "impossible" "Race" "Muslim" "Homosexual" or "Christian" no longer have any meaning. While it is indisputably true some outcomes are more likely to occur than others, the laws of nature are, in the final analysis, only creations. No matter how enslaved we are to external or internal "masters," there is always reason to hope.

:clap: :clap:

Latest posts