• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Food Stamps Most Rapidly Growing Welfare Program

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
the food stamp "recruiters" are probably past ACORN workers, just like the obamascare recruiters.

Study: Food Stamps Most Rapidly Growing Welfare Program

Expert: 'There's very little bang for all this increased buck'

BY: Elizabeth Harrington Follow @GoliadGal
October 17, 2013 9:00 am

Food stamps are the most inefficient, vastly expanding social welfare program in the country, according to a new study.

Forty-seven million people participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, and costs have increased over 358 percent since 2000.

The increase in recent years cannot be attributed to the economic recession, according to Michael Tanner, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute, but lax eligibility requirements and an aggressive campaign by governments to boost their rolls.

"This program has expanded rapidly over the last decade in a way that is not justified by the recession that we went through," Tanner said.

"There's very little bang for all this increased buck."

Tanner's report, "SNAP Failure: The Food Stamp Program Needs Reform," finds that in 2000 the cost of the food stamp program was just $17 billion. It has risen in cost to $78 billion today.

Spending on advertising and outreach for food stamps by federal and state governments has also increased, now amounting to $41.3 million a year.

States like Florida have hired "food stamp recruiters," who have a quota of signing up 150 new recipients each month. Rhode Island hosts "SNAP-themed bingo games," and the USDA tells its field offices to throw parties to get more people on their rolls.

Despite the additional spending, the USDA claims 18 million Americans are still "food insecure."

Tanner notes the program is more successful in breeding dependence on government, which was apparent last weekend when the EBT system shutdown in several states, resulting in chaos.

"The left is correct when they talk about how small food stamp benefits are, about an average of $4.50 a day," Tanner said. "And yet we're told that people can't survive without them."

"There's something wrong in our society when people can't survive without getting five bucks from the government," he said.

Food stamps have become the second most costly means-tested program behind Medicaid, and its expansion is credited to both Republicans and Democrats.

Tanner traces the modern food stamp program back to President Lyndon B. Johnson, who signed the Food Stamp Act of 1964. Not until the presidency of George W. Bush, however, did the program increase dramatically, and the pace has only accelerated under President Barack Obama.

The 2002 and 2008 farm bills under Bush expanded eligibility in the program to the extent that noncitizens qualify. By the start of Obama's presidency, there were 31.8 million Americans enrolled, up from 17 million in 2000.

Under Obama, enrollment has surged to almost 48 million. While some chalk up the increase to the recession, Tanner finds little evidence that is the case.

"Increases in both participation and spending were bigger during this recession than in previous ones," he writes.

During the recession in the early 1980s enrollment only increased by 635,000, and spending rose by $124 million. In contrast, the latest recession saw enrollment jump by 12 million and spending increase by $30 billion.

"SNAP is no longer a program targeted at the poorest Americans who may need some temporary help, but it has become part of an ever-growing permanent welfare state," the report said.

Nearly 17 percent of recipients have income levels above the poverty line due to weak eligibility standards. Furthermore, a majority of recipients (56 percent) are on the program longer than 5 years, and fewer than 10 percent are on food stamps for six months or less.

Tanner said Congress has an opportunity to reform the program when reauthorizing the farm bill this year. House Republicans already passed a bill that would cut the program $39 billion over 10 years and create stricter work requirements.

"They're talking about fairly modest reforms, and those are reforms that I do endorse," Tanner said. "But in the long run I think we need to take this in the context of the whole welfare system, which the question is what is the benefit of shifting money to Washington and then shipping it back to the states?"

Tanner suggests turning SNAP into a block grant as a first step to ultimately returning the program to the states.

SNAP is an "inefficient, fraud-ridden, and deeply troubled program," according to the report, with $858 million in direct fraud in 2012 and $2.2 billion a year in erroneous payments.

http://freebeacon.com/study-food-stamps-most-rapidly-growing-welfare-program/?print=1

Something that would make a big "dent" in the food stamp program-- raise the minimum wage to its 1968 equivalent. That way as I have said many times we taxpayers can quit subsidizing companies like Walmart.

What subsidies do Wal-Mart get?

Raising the minimum wage is bad for small business. They'll just quit hiring or layoff people which inhibits small businesses growing. :roll:

In fact, I don't think there should be a low limit on wages. If one doesn't want to work that cheap, go somewhere else.

TSR said:
Something that would make a big "dent" in the food stamp program-- raise the minimum wage to its 1968 equivalent. That way as I have said many times we taxpayers can quit subsidizing companies like Walmart.

Before anybody gets paid minimum wage, they have to get hired. Maybe you need to get your priorities straight.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Wonder how many are working for minimum wage in North Dakota?

Hey Hypo, how many on Alberta work for minimum wage?

Do we even have a min. wage in Alberta. Haven't heard about one in years.

But we're Conservatives here, so we're probably only paying half of whatever it is. If only the economy would slow down a bit, so we had the time to check...

Walmart like some other corporations hire people at wages that automatically qualify them for food stamps. Thus in essence we, the taxpayer, are subsidizing Walmart as our tax money in part goes to the food stamp program. Recently I have seen some companies on tv (not FOX or CNN btw) tout how they are hiring new personnel with wages that are high enough to disqualify them from food stamps. My hat is off to those companies. I hope they expand and can hire more people and raise wages even more.

TSR said:
Walmart like some other corporations hire people at wages that automatically qualify them for food stamps. Thus in essence we, the taxpayer, are subsidizing Walmart as our tax money in part goes to the food stamp program. Recently I have seen some companies on tv (not FOX or CNN btw) tout how they are hiring new personnel with wages that are high enough to disqualify them from food stamps. My hat is off to those companies. I hope they expand and can hire more people and raise wages even more.

I bet jobs on the Keystone pipeline would pay enough to get some off food stamps.

Big Muddy rancher said:
TSR said:

I bet jobs on the Keystone pipeline would pay enough to get some off food stamps.

It might even pay more than the $4 per diem that foodstamps and Walmart pays.

hypocritexposer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
TSR said:

It'll never happen. The 'big boy' in the WH doesn't want it to, and he gets what he wants. Proven time and again. We have a bunch of wimps in the House. I think WhiteWing is right. :wink: America is toast.

TSR said:
Key word in your post is "some".

minimum wage should be $50 per hour and poverty should be set at $47.

Tax the "rich" at 95%, so as to bring them down to our level, so we can all finance our own businesses, and hire employees at $50/hr.

Maybe we can even charge the middle class more for health insurance at that point, so the income gap will be tightened a bit.

hypocritexposer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
TSR said:

It'll never happen. The 'big boy' in the WH doesn't want it to, and he gets what he wants. Proven time and again. We have a bunch of wimps in the House. I think WhiteWing is right. : America is toast.

TSR said:

Why should we have to subsidize those that work for less? Change the damn limits............ Get another job. Or two. Why should we guarantee a certain living standard?

If they can't make it at WalMart without FS's get a better job. If no one showed up for work at Wal-marts across the country tomorrow, they would raise wages.

Plus, not everyone that get's minimum wage is actually earning it. :roll:

You're a funny guy TSR. While we are the "FATTEST" country in the world, the poorest, yet fattest get free food. :roll:

Probably is, but I'm gonna stay, are you looking for a place to relocate that's better??? Gonna be hard to find in my opinion.

TSR said:
Probably is, but I'm gonna stay, are you looking for a place to relocate that's better??? Gonna be hard to find in my opinion.

It's you that is whining about how it is. Aren't you the guy that voted for "fundamental change"?

Mike said:
TSR said:

Why should we have to subsidize those that work for less? Change the damn limits............ Get another job. Or two. Why should we guarantee a certain living standard?

If they can't make it at WalMart without FS's get a better job. If no one showed up for work at Wal-marts across the country tomorrow, they would raise wages.

Plus, not everyone that get's minimum wage is actually earning it. :roll:

You're a funny guy TSR. While we are the "FATTEST" country in the world, the poorest, yet fattest get free food. :roll:

Well I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I don't think we're subsidizing those that work for less-- I think in effect we're subsidizing their employer, Walmart. Walmart can pay them less knowing full well all of them will qualify for FS the day they are hired. Its even been publicized that some of their employees were told to sign up for FS the day they were hired as they qualified.

Yep one of the Tparty''s goals is to do away with the minimum wage and all regulations (that would have worked well with BP wouldn't it?) If everyone that gets minimum wage isn't earning it, why aren't they fired/layed off, put on a job they can't do, a shift they don't like?

If no one showed up at Walmart tomorrow...... I hope it happens one day. I hope the Walmart workers become unionized. They probably would be now but the taxpayer funded FS system is just enough to keep the workers complacent, both parties know this.

Being fat for the most part is more related to what you eat than the quantity you eat imo. Its a choice. Many make poor choices.

BTW its been said that we also spend more on healthcare than any other industrialized country in the world with the poorest results.

entry level jobs were never meant to be lifetime jobs.. you are supposed to acquire some skills and move on... leaving that job for the next kid in line...

that is what grew the middle class.. not raising the wage on crappy jobs..

but what is lost most on the left is that raising the min wage does not help the working poor as the cost of everything climbs a little with it..

it is called inflation.. and that same inflation erodes the other wage earners ability to purchase the same amount.. decreasing their worth of their savings and pensions as well ..

and the rich still get richer as most are hedged against inflation. ..

Steve said:
entry level jobs were never meant to be lifetime jobs.. you are supposed to acquire some skills and move on... leaving that job for the next kid in line...

that is what grew the middle class.. not raising the wage on crappy jobs..

but what is lost most on the left is that raising the min wage does not help the working poor as the cost of everything climbs a little with it..

it is called inflation.. and that same inflation erodes the other wage earners ability to purchase the same amount.. decreasing their worth of their savings and pensions as well ..

and the rich still get richer as most are hedged against inflation. ..

Entry level jobs is one thing, entry level pay is another and how long you stay there and how long it takes you to progess from it. At least one thing that helped make the middle class was unionization--the negotiation of wages,etc.
Raising the min. wage will give them more to spend even if the prices do rise which those companies better be careful on raising those prices, some of those companies that are paying the min. wage or higher will become even more competitive.
The Waltons when raising the minimum wage would have to give up maybe a billion or two a year. What a shame.

TSR said:
Raising the min. wage will give them more to spend even if the prices do rise which those companies better be careful on raising those prices, some of those companies that are paying the min. wage or higher will become even more competitive.
The Waltons when raising the minimum wage would have to give up maybe a billion or two a year. What a shame.

http://epionline.org/downloads/Sabia_Burkhauser_SEJ_Jan10.PDF

In contrast, estimates based on the payroll data suggest that the New Jersey minimum wage increase led to a 4.6 percent decrease in employment in New Jersey relative to the Pennsylvania control group. This decrease is statistically significant at the five-percent level and implies an elasticity of employment with respect to the minimum wage of -0.24.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w5224

There are several problems with the notion of cost-push inflation. The primary error in this analysis is that it confuses a shift in the structure of relative prices with a general rise in the level of prices. If the labor costs of businesses are increased and they succeed in passing on the costs to consumers in the form of higher prices, they will have managed to change the structure of relative prices at the expense of businesses that are unable to raise their prices because of more-intense competition. This is quite distinct from a general increase in the level of prices, which would be possible only if the real supply of money was increased.

Many firms, however, may be unable to pass on their increased costs to consumers. It is consumers who ultimately determine the price of any good on the market, and they may decide that a business's product is not worth a higher price. Producers cannot force consumers to buy what they produce, and businesses cannot always arbitrarily increase the prices of their products simply because the government has arbitrarily increased their costs.

This fact has important implications. If a business cannot simply pass along its new labor costs, it must somehow absorb them--by eliminating workers rendered unproductive by the new minimum wage, by replacing labor with more-productive machines, or by cutting back production. Those jobs not eliminated will be more demanding, as employers will use fewer people to produce the same amount of work.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa106.html

Latest posts