• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

? for Canadians...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
Does the mud ever go away?

It seems you either have feet of snow......or feet of mud??

kolanuraven said:
Does the mud ever go away?

It seems you either have feet of snow......or feet of mud??
We don't have any mud at all this year,very sad grandson though.... :wink:

Mud really never lasts long in this area,the land is dry enough it soaks,but if your talking muskeg stuff,thats just what its made of water & dirt,kinda slough like.....

All the cow pics posted....to me at least and we have so PRIME mud here in GA...... the poor beasts are either belly deep in snow or mud!!!!

I was just a'wondering :wink:

kolanuraven said:
All the cow pics posted....to me at least and we have so PRIME mud here in GA...... the poor beasts are either belly deep in snow or mud!!!!

We get about six days of bikini season if thats what your REALLY asking..... :wink:

I am so sick of mud that I could puke.... In the last 2 or 3 years, we have had mud for 2 months in the fall and 2 months in the spring.

Our farm does not have any significant amount of rough land or gravel ridges on which we can run the cows in those wet months.

It is becoming a major factor in considering what direction we are taking in the future - all cows or back to cash-cropping with just a few cows to keep the creek flats chewed off.

Mrs.Greg said:
kolanuraven said:

We get about six days of bikini season if thats what your REALLY asking..... :wink:

Well...that IS the important issue right there!!!!! :wink:

Speaking of snow and mud...

When we were driving through Belle Fourche, SD a week or so ago,
this was posted on a marquee by a restaurant:

"SNOW. The new four-letter word."

A couple of days later when we drove back by, this was the sign:

"MUD. The new three-letter-word."

Mud and snow...... a small price to pay for avoiding extreme heat. :wink:

Ohh yeaaa........ I melt when it gets hot. Especially when it's humid too. We've been to Iowa during June, and that was even hot for us. We tried going south to Missouri, but couldn't handle it. :oops: I have a lot of respect for those living in places like Louisiana and Alabama. Hot muggy weather would be so much harder to live with for me.

I think our blood is thick from all the cold here. You can tell the Canadians in Vegas in winter because when everyone local is wearing sweaters and jackets, they're all walking around in shirtsleeves talking about how beautiful a day it is. :D

We do have a lot of snow and mud, but in the summer it is wonderful. In June the sun doesn't go down until well past 10 p.m. here, and even at midnight you can see the sky is lighter in the north. Normal daytime temperatures are not far off room temperature, and the humidity is manageable. Everything is green, and gorgeous, and life is good. 8)

To get to those days though, it's mud and snow. It makes us appreciate the summers so much more. It would be boring living where the seasons didn't change.

Kato said:
Ohh yeaaa........ I melt when it gets hot. Especially when it's humid too. We've been to Iowa during June, and that was even hot for us. We tried going south to Missouri, but couldn't handle it. :oops: I have a lot of respect for those living in places like Louisiana and Alabama. Hot muggy weather would be so much harder to live with for me.

I think our blood is thick from all the cold here. You can tell the Canadians in Vegas in winter because when everyone local is wearing sweaters and jackets, they're all walking around in shirtsleeves talking about how beautiful a day it is. :D

We do have a lot of snow and mud, but in the summer it is wonderful. In June the sun doesn't go down until well past 10 p.m. here, and even at midnight you can see the sky is lighter in the north. Normal daytime temperatures are not far off room temperature, and the humidity is manageable. Everything is green, and gorgeous, and life is good. 8)

To get to those days though, it's mud and snow. It makes us appreciate the summers so much more. It would be boring living where the seasons didn't change.

I had to laugh I was in Vegas in the winter it was around 50 degree's and the locals had on pack boot's goose down jackets scarves mitten and stocking hats.We were in T-Shirts.

I was in Florida in August once damn near killed me.

We need the belly deep snow and mud to get the belly deep grass. :wink:

I can't fathom living in a place where 6 inches of rain, hurricanes and drought are not uncommon and most living things slither,sting and bite.
At least with fall and winter we get 6 months of bug free weather. :D

There are actually big areas of the three western provinces that are semi-desert climes. The west coast is a rain forest on rocks, we have any climate imaginable depending on where we live except humid, sweltering deep south.

gcreekrch said:

I can't fathom living in a place where 6 inches of rain, hurricanes and drought are not uncommon and most living things slither,sting and bite.

There are actually big areas of the three western provinces that are semi-desert climes. The west coast is a rain forest on rocks, we have any climate imaginable depending on where we live except humid, sweltering deep south.

For the sweltering deep south try Southern Ontario in June. :x

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:

For the sweltering deep south try Southern Ontario in June. :x

Haven't been there but you are right from what I've heard. I stand corrected.

We have every climate. :D

Not much mud here. Most years it stops at the frost line, about 2 feet above ground. Grass stops most of the mud from happening at our place, lack of rainfall does the same thing in the odd years.
We get a bit in the corrals, but try not to use those very often.
We did wind up AIing around 70 cows that were synchronized one day after a freak 1 1/2 inch rainstorm. We stopped and hosed off boots every 10 cows. We have pretty heavy clay gumbo type soil, so when its mud, its really mud.

Latest posts