• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

For Kathy, metal imbalances

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Regular showers may be health risk
12:44pm 3rd July 2005

What is RSS?

Taking regular showers could pose a health risk and even result in permanent brain damage, it has been claimed.
Scientists believe that breathing in small amounts of manganese dissolved in the water may harm the nervous system.

The damage may occur even at levels of the naturally occurring metal normally considered safe, say the US researchers.
Although manganese levels in public water supplies are monitored, regulators have not considered the long-term effects of inhaling vaporised manganese while showering, they claim.

Dr John Spangler, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, New Carolina, who led the study, said: "If our results are confirmed, they could have profound implications for the nation and the world.

"Nearly nine million people in the United States are exposed to manganese levels that our study shows may cause toxic effects.

"Inhaling manganese, rather than eating or drinking it, is far more efficient at delivering manganese to the brain. The nerve cells involved in smell are a direct pathway for toxins to enter the brain. Once inside these small nerves, manganese can travel throughout the brain."

Dr Spangler's team calculated from animal studies the amount of manganese people would absorb by showering for 10 minutes a day.

After 10 years of showering in manganese-contaminated water, children would be exposed to levels of the metal three times higher than the doses needed to leave deposits in rats' brains, the researchers found.

Adults with a longer history of showering could be exposed to doses 50% higher. Children, pregnant women, the elderly and patients with liver disease were at the highest risk from manganese.

Quote- "Taking regular showers could pose a health risk and even result in permanent brain damage, it has been claimed."

AH HA!!! Failing to file your briefs in a timely fashion ain't so bad after all, right Mike? :lol:

Hope you are all having a great 4th of July holiday. Got any plans for today Mike? Skydiving maybe?? :wink:
No holiday here today so I beter get back to work!! :(

TimH said:
Quote- "Taking regular showers could pose a health risk and even result in permanent brain damage, it has been claimed."

AH HA!!! Failing to file your briefs in a timely fashion ain't so bad after all, right Mike? :lol:

Hope you are all having a great 4th of July holiday. Got any plans for today Mike? Skydiving maybe?? :wink:

No skydiving! We will be wrestling some 12 foot gators this afternoon!

Just for fun or do you have them sync'd for AI? Do CIDR's work on gators?

Murgen said:

Just for fun or do you have them sync'd for AI? Do CIDR's work on gators?

Eating all my catfish. Nets and ropes only. No breeding, they stink.
Not 12 feet either, I lied to Tim! :wink:

So after you catch them, do you release into the next ranches swamps? You could start an gator soup stand!

Murgen said:
So after you catch them, do you release into the next ranches swamps? You could start an gator soup stand!

You'd have to pay people around here to eat it. Tough and chewy. The hides can be sold if you got a permit though. I don't. Just take 'em to the river.

Mike- "Not 12 feet either, I lied to Tim! "

I knew you were not being truthful, Mike...... even a canucklhead knows that 'gators only have 4 feet.....not 12!! :roll: :roll:

reader (the Second) said:
Mike said:
TimH said:

Are you a sky diver, Mike? I'm living with one myself right now.

I am NOT a skydiver. Highest I ever get is in the cab of my tractor!
Tim's just being a turd again. :wink:

TimH said:
Mike- "Not 12 feet either, I lied to Tim! "

I knew you were not being truthful, Mike...... even a canucklhead knows that 'gators only have 4 feet.....not 12!! :roll: :roll:

We couldn't find 'em this afternoon. Shot at one but who knows?
Turd. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts