• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ford Pickup n Horse Trailer vs Kenworth W900

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven said:
This has turned into a "mine's bigger than yours ' thread.

Bottom line...everyone slow down.
Yup...totally I agree with your point Kola,tried saying that earlier but sometimes a decent point gets ignored...It happened, wasn't nice, Shoer,you wanted imput you got it whether you liked the answers or not. My thought is EVERYONE should try thier damndest to prevent an accident. Honestly :roll:

HorseShoer said:
Denny-

Your clueless! overpowerd? I got a 550 CAT motor, im not underpowerd by any means but I caint drag race pullin 80,000, Im not under braked, my truck goes thru periodic inspections to make sure my equipment is in good workin order, and im definitley NOT overweight the ports of entry or scales at the border of most states makes dang sure my weight aint changed since the last state that wieghd me.. I wasnt speeding I can do the speed limit same as anyone else can, rather it be 75 or 65 in most states...or unless in ILL, CA, OR, or OH its 55.. yer right, most trucks dont do 55 in Illinios, but even the Highway patrol will agree its a stupid law to have differnt speeds for cars than trucks.......So ya tell me to slow down? trust me the guy in the ford can slow down easyer than i can.. he can fall in BEHIND my truck a heck of alot easyer than speed up to pass me... i mean heck.. is it soooo bad being "behind" the big truck???.. it aint like im going to slow for ya.. ya just told me to slow down,, so i must be going fast enuff..
And NO my first thot wasnt.. "watch this" my first thot was.." please make a wise choice" then it my thot was "oh god this is gonna hurt",
then my next thot was.." The livestock in that trailer is prolly smarter than the guy draggen em"

This aint the first time something like this happens at sure wont be the last, i was just curios what other folks think.

When this happens to you.. and you end up in the dirt.. when ketch back up to me..wave.. but please use all 5 fingers when ya do :lol:

I'm far from clueless there sunshine I've been pushed off the road in Tennessee by truckdrivers racing up and down the mountains there.I had a mini van and 6 kids along but these fella's were living out a Nascar fantasy and had no concern for others.You could have braked a bit I'm sure it happened quick but my first response would have been to brake or let off the throttle.You sound proud that the guy ditched it. Did you stop to see if anyone was hurt I doubt it.

MsSage said:
Denny I use to agree with you UNTIL I road with shoer.....I saw first hand the stupid things 4 wheels make.
I bet the first thing that came into your mind was (Watch This) I have alot of friends that drive truck for a living.Most are driveing an over powered,over loaded,under braked rig with a NASCAR attitude.
Sorry I KNOW that was not the first thought...his first thought was "damn" then thought about the horses and if there were any kids in the truck,
You said the trucks are over powered? That is to haul the 80,000 pounds of frieght. Over loaded? They would NEVER get past the first weigh station. Have you ever really saw the weigh stations? I never did till I had to pull into one, now I see them all the time. Under braked? hmmm 80,000# doing 55 takes HOW long to stop?
You say rigs need to slow down. How about when everyone gets a DL they have to ride along with a truck for 3 days? Then they will see you can "Just slow down" to let cars on the highway. Causes back ups and you might get hit from the rear by a car. They will see when you get on the highway you have to hit the GAS peddle...........speed UP that is why it is called the acceleration lane.
You want a truck to slow down.......Here is one where the truck DID.
north bound highway look over on south bound highway Big truck in the median LONGGGGGGGGGG tire tracks in grass and a small area of brake tracks on road. Sitting in the middle of the road was a person ( ok sitting is NOT the right word) What happened? SUV side swipped civic and drivers door flew open driver fell out. Hmmm No seat belt , SUV & car speeding. SUV lost control and WHOM does everyone BLAME? the truck driver ......That truck driver saw that woman fall out of her car onto the road and did everything in his power NOT to run over her...he never touched her. Now he has to live with that vision and know his wife saw it as well for the rest of his life. Think about seeing 2 kids crying for their mother who they will never see again.

You said truckers cant work with people LOL your soooooooo funny on that one :roll: OK lets see how many people they have to deal with......DM's give them thier loads. Saftey dept to make sure they do speed limit knowing the dms gave them a load that takes 6 hours to drive and they have 4 hours to get there. How many other drivers on the road? Other truckers on the cd...uggggg. They get to the receiver and have to check in with a guard. Then have to take the paper work to the clerk who 9 times out of 10 wont even make eye contact cuz they are only the "trucker" Then they have a set amount they can pay for someone to unload the trailer....well the "lumper" wants more so they have to dicker with them or unload themselves. Now sometimes you have to deal with the warehouse mgr. Now on to the shipper....guard check in~ go sit turn cb on channel--- NO you cant use bathroom, who cares you have been on the road finding this place with BAD directions. You can wait another 6 hours till you can leave and HOPEFULLY find a spot at the almost NONEXCISTANT truck stop. Now you have to deal with the clerk at the shippers then the warehouse workers. After you have sat for 6 hours when you should have only been there for 2 you have to make up time so your load is NOT late.
How is that not being able to work with others? You are treated like a nonperson and expected to be superman at the same time.
90% of truckers are family men who go weeks without seeing thier kids or wife. They miss out on the milestones of a family. They can only give hugs over the phone. The only food they eat most times is convience store food.....try it :? They want the best for thier familys and know there is no other job they can get paid what they do driving. How about you give THEM a brake ....move over to let them on the highway, let them over so THEY can let another car on the the highway. DONT ride in thier BLIND spot. If they have a turn signal on LET THEM OVER. Do NOT pass then get in front and SLAM on your brakes.
All of us are in CONTROL of our own vehicles and should be on the look out for trouble. If we work together everyone gets to lay thier head down on thier pillow that night.[/b]

Here try this one a Truck going 55 mph on snow covered roads crowding the center pushes 16 year old girl off the road she hits a tree her parents mow the spot along the road now.Everyone has a family and everyone is responsible to drive safe even if you have to drive for the idiots and if someone runs off the road is it common in texas for truckers to keep going and keep score.

I disagree with you. YOU DID WRONG. Legally you may have had the right of way, but in my opinion you did the wrong thing. If you was paying attention instead of minding your own business you should have seen the car on one side of you and the trailer comming up the on ramp. You knew it was not going to work. think of the guy comming on, if he stops or slows up, then he is at the end of his turn lane and stopped or moving very slow. That will make a very dangerous situation for him as well for many of the vehicles that are comming up behind him as he makes another try.. What does he do? try to back up the on ramp or try to pull into traffic that is doing 75 or 80 when he is barly moving. The only way he can get on then is to hope there is drivers comming along that unlike you, will give him the chance to get on.

If you would have had any consideration you would have slowed up in plenty of time to let him on and saved risking untold number of lives. As soon as you seen the trailer comming and the car on the other side of you, you should have been slowing down. The traffic behind you would have slowed up as well and the whole situation would have been safer for everyone.

I have been in the exact situation driving a car and a semi was comming up the on ramp. you can better beleive I slowed up and let him on. That is the respectable and safest thing to do. And yes he did wag his tail lights thanking me.

Though I do not drive a truck for a living, I have been in one enough to know that cars do pull out in front of you. If you are driving for a living, you should know it will happen and be prepared for it. When on the interstate you should be prepared for that exact thing to happen at every on ramp. When you are driving you should always let people move over when they have their turnsignals on. On a trip to SE usa, I was totaly amazed that every time I turned my turnsignal on, every car on the road would do their best to cut me off. Even the little ole ladys. A car could be 100 yards behind me and going about the same speed that I was and if I didn't move quickly after turning on my turn signal, EVERY time, the driver would try their best to cut me off. Found out the only way to get over was turn the turnsignal on, wait a bit, the just start slowy moving over. some of them that thought they were gong by me had to finish on the sholder, but that is a different situation.
That is not the way I like to drive. I hope I never have to drive to that part of the USA ever again. I would much rather again make the trip to alaska. At least going that direction, most of the drivers have some consideration and common sense.

I never drove a semi in TX, but just in general, at those speeds it's best to already be in the left lane when coming up on those blind overpasses just to avoid that type of situation.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen (more than once), though, is people moving cows down hiway 61 in NE without anyone following a good bit behind with their flashers on to warn you that you were going to pop over a hill and encounter a whole damn herd of cows, and when you do pop over the hill and you're trying like hell to get stopped they seem like they haven't a clue... friggin' morons.

Laws in Texas says Left lane is for passing only, your not supposed to just drive along in the left lane, semi, or car.......you can and will eventually get a ticket for ridin along in the left lane.

I can't believe this thread has this much traction. Shoer is correct . Traffic laws are so everyone can know what to expect from the other driver. Yield means yield. I don't care what the situation is. If you don't and end up in an accident , you get a ticket.

pardon me, but I can only speak of my own experiences and those have only happened here in montana....where the speed limit for PASSENGER VEHICLES is 75, but for SEMIS is 65!! However, I, too have encountered the vehicle who would not yeild to traffic!! The one scenario I can remember happened in butte...demodriver had just gotten her license and was on the interstate heading home from seeing grandpa in Deer lodge!! I was in the passenger seat, enjoying the scenery (pretty rare treat for me!)....demodriver was doing the speed limit and had slowed down to 65 because she saw that traffic was unusually heavy while going through Butte! A large red Lincoln started to pass her just as we came upon a "on-ramp" that was located on a sharp curve (one of those ramps that you do not have clear visual of til it's dang near too late!)....roaring down the ramp was a large, older model ford truck with a young teen male behind the wheel!! Demodrivers first reaction was to swerve over to the passing lane to let the idiot through...since he OBVIOUSLY was not watching for any traffic, himself!! However, she caught sight of the red Lincoln and instead HIT THE BRAKES!!! Scared the daylights out of both of us, but avoided a wreck!! The fact is, she should not have had to slam on the brakes to avoid the idiot on the ramp....made traffic behind us slam on their brakes, too!! :shock: :shock: Scared Gus so bad, she had to pull off the side of the road and get her fried nerves and shaking hands under control!! Guess what I am saying is that we ALL have to be watching out for each other!! NOBODY owns the road and those who think they do end up costing lives! Please....just BE CAREFUL AND CONSIDERATE!!!

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Laws in Texas says Left lane is for passing only, your not supposed to just drive along in the left lane, semi, or car.......you can and will eventually get a ticket for ridin along in the left lane.
I didn't really mean staying in the left lane all the time...but SD did have signs on the Interstate advising trucks to use left lane, even though our traffic doesn't usually amount to much.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
MsSage wrote:
Denny I use to agree with you UNTIL I road with shoer.....I saw first hand the stupid things 4 wheels make.
Quote:
I bet the first thing that came into your mind was (Watch This) I have alot of friends that drive truck for a living.Most are driveing an over powered,over loaded,under braked rig with a NASCAR attitude.

Sorry I KNOW that was not the first thought...his first thought was "damn" then thought about the horses and if there were any kids in the truck,
You said the trucks are over powered? That is to haul the 80,000 pounds of frieght. Over loaded? They would NEVER get past the first weigh station. Have you ever really saw the weigh stations? I never did till I had to pull into one, now I see them all the time. Under braked? hmmm 80,000# doing 55 takes HOW long to stop?
You say rigs need to slow down. How about when everyone gets a DL they have to ride along with a truck for 3 days? Then they will see you can "Just slow down" to let cars on the highway. Causes back ups and you might get hit from the rear by a car. They will see when you get on the highway you have to hit the GAS peddle...........speed UP that is why it is called the acceleration lane.
You want a truck to slow down.......Here is one where the truck DID.
north bound highway look over on south bound highway Big truck in the median LONGGGGGGGGGG tire tracks in grass and a small area of brake tracks on road. Sitting in the middle of the road was a person ( ok sitting is NOT the right word) What happened? SUV side swipped civic and drivers door flew open driver fell out. Hmmm No seat belt , SUV & car speeding. SUV lost control and WHOM does everyone BLAME? the truck driver ......That truck driver saw that woman fall out of her car onto the road and did everything in his power NOT to run over her...he never touched her. Now he has to live with that vision and know his wife saw it as well for the rest of his life. Think about seeing 2 kids crying for their mother who they will never see again.

You said truckers cant work with people LOL your soooooooo funny on that one Rolling Eyes OK lets see how many people they have to deal with......DM's give them thier loads. Saftey dept to make sure they do speed limit knowing the dms gave them a load that takes 6 hours to drive and they have 4 hours to get there. How many other drivers on the road? Other truckers on the cd...uggggg. They get to the receiver and have to check in with a guard. Then have to take the paper work to the clerk who 9 times out of 10 wont even make eye contact cuz they are only the "trucker" Then they have a set amount they can pay for someone to unload the trailer....well the "lumper" wants more so they have to dicker with them or unload themselves. Now sometimes you have to deal with the warehouse mgr. Now on to the shipper....guard check in~ go sit turn cb on channel--- NO you cant use bathroom, who cares you have been on the road finding this place with BAD directions. You can wait another 6 hours till you can leave and HOPEFULLY find a spot at the almost NONEXCISTANT truck stop. Now you have to deal with the clerk at the shippers then the warehouse workers. After you have sat for 6 hours when you should have only been there for 2 you have to make up time so your load is NOT late.
How is that not being able to work with others? You are treated like a nonperson and expected to be superman at the same time.
90% of truckers are family men who go weeks without seeing thier kids or wife. They miss out on the milestones of a family. They can only give hugs over the phone. The only food they eat most times is convience store food.....try it Confused They want the best for thier familys and know there is no other job they can get paid what they do driving. How about you give THEM a brake ....move over to let them on the highway, let them over so THEY can let another car on the the highway. DONT ride in thier BLIND spot. If they have a turn signal on LET THEM OVER. Do NOT pass then get in front and SLAM on your brakes.
All of us are in CONTROL of our own vehicles and should be on the look out for trouble. If we work together everyone gets to lay thier head down on thier pillow that night.[/b]

Here try this one a Truck going 55 mph on snow covered roads crowding the center pushes 16 year old girl off the road she hits a tree her parents mow the spot along the road now.Everyone has a family and everyone is responsible to drive safe even if you have to drive for the idiots and if someone runs off the road is it common in texas for truckers to keep going and keep score.

OK seems you DID NOT read what I said.
All of us are in CONTROL of our own vehicles and should be on the look out for trouble. If we work together everyone gets to lay thier head down on thier pillow that night.
You want to compare drive off stories... I have one that will have you crying ...if you want it, pm me and I will send it to you. I will also include the newspaper stories about and the follow up with it.
We all have a RESPONSIBLITY to watch OUT for the other driver. If we can avoid an accident then do BUT dont cause another.
[/quote]

Some very good points made here by all, but i guess ya caint make these kinda choices untill your confronted with them.
It seems to be the opinion of many that the merge/right if way law should give way to common courtesy ... many also said that i should just slow down,, but have fergoton that 9 times outa 10 in this type of situation it only puts you right back wher ya statrted , and also you have slowed up all the traffic behind you, and it only takes 1 person behind you to be half asleep.. then ya have a rearend accident...
In my opinion,, and its a humble one... dont race the big truck when entering from a ramp.. dont expect we can "just get over" , the person entering should just slow down. fall in behind the big truck...ITS CALLED MERGEING~!!!......why slow down the whole interstate just because you dont wanna be behind the truck??.. I will say that 90 precent of other drivers on the road are truck freindly. I would also like to point out,, my turn signals.. well lets say they are a demand.. not a request,, or a invitation to hurry and speed up to pass, if im expected to clear the right lane to make way for oncomming traffic.
Id also like to point out that the number of cars and trucks on the interstates is growing everyday, In fact traffic is soo heavy in the east, i no longer worry about speeding because even the open road is nearly bumper to bumper anyway. The west aint so bad, i can most of the time find room to move over.
Another differnce id like to point out, interstaes are differnt allll over, of course in SD, NE, ND and most all the other western states i got a clear veiw of the ramps even from miles away!! you dont have any trees!!!! i can react and everything works out fine, But most places thers trees, signs, buildings, the road winds and curves around. Then thers TX with the " $hit and git" ramps ,,,the enginnering marvel that they are :roll:

Denny-

Peaches I know what ya mean by the trucks racing thru TN, I am guilty of it myself, most ALLLLL trucks git a run down the hill to git momentum to get up the next side, Its not OK to be doin 90 down the hill , but it sure beats doing only 35 when ya finally top the next one... if ya wanna blame somebody.. lets blame the genious enginneer that apparently dont know crap about puttin a road on a grade!!!instead of strait up and down :mad:
And the 16 year old girl? im sorry to hear about something like that in any situation.. but i will wonder why a 16 year old gurl was driving in the snow anyway? trust me. ther is nuffin important enuff in the life of a 16 year old girl to be out drivin in bad conditions.. I mean most 16 year old girls caint drive on bare roads on a sunny day for crying out loud!!! i feel for the driver, hes gota live with that, i doubt i could

Latest posts