• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Found this trailer Is it too big?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

dennybob

Reaction score
Okay, Found this trailer at a half decent price. 16 ft. Not sure of brand. It has had a higher roof installed and been repainted. My question is, I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier 4wd pickup. Is this too much trailer for the truck?

Note: I do not intend to load this up with a bunch of finished steers to haul at one time. Mostly for hauling cattle here as calves and one at a time to Disney land, or three four butcher hogs at a time. I can look at up-sizing the truck in the future but, probably not right away. Truck is capable of towing 6500 pound. Those of you what hauls animals, let me know what you think. Thanks.
trailer.jpg

I have a Nissan frontier and I have pulled a 6X16 ft bumper pull trailer but I wouldn't pull them together. :help:

I had a wild ride one night with one hooked to a Dodge 4X4 short box that I wouldn't want to take again. :shock:

Well, anyone who takes their calves on vacation to Disneyland is certainly going to need a proper rig to haul them in!! Yeeeeehaw!! 8)

No, I wouldn't be too excited about that trailer behind a Nissan Frontier pickup. That's if it were me. Oh, it may be something you can pull off in a fairly relaxed and low-stress driving environment. Hard to tell what conditions you're going to be working with.

Buy it. You said you plan on upgrtading pickups, when you do you have the trailer. In the meantime if you ever need a bigger pickup, trade trailer use for pickup use with someone reliable.
If you get it and use it, having proper weight distribution and make it where the cattle or livestock can't move around will be the key.
The money you save on the trailer could then go towards the pickup upgrade.

Have a 16 ft that I pull with a 1/2 Ford,5 sp,short bed. Wouldn't suggest it for a long trip. Biggest problem is keeping big cows out of the front end=drops that little pick up rear end fast.

Well, you can pull about anything with about anything, with in reason. It ain't the puling that will get you in trouble so much. It's the stopping!

Jinglebob said:
Well, you can pull about anything with about anything, with in reason. It ain't the puling that will get you in trouble so much. It's the stopping!

Truer words were never spoken. Mr. FH has said this for a long time,
so he has an exhaust brake put in his pickups; but now they come from
the factory already installed.

Good advice, it's the stopping, I had a one ton dually hooked to a loaded 25 foot trailer that i didnt worry about trailer brakes, be the first and last time I do that.
good luck

PS Seriously if you do pull that trailer with that light truck, make damn sure the trailer brakes work well.

for me, it sounds like a wreck waitin' to happen. i'd look into putting more pickup in front of it. and no matter how big the pickup is pullin it, it's always in everyone's best interest to have the trailer brakes working properly.

IMO :)

Justin said:
for me, it sounds like a wreck waitin' to happen. i'd look into putting more pickup in front of it. and no matter how big the pickup is pullin it, it's always in everyone's best interest to have the trailer brakes working properly.

Here's a great joke found on this site's humor page that agree's with the stopping coments! :lol:

One dark night outside a small town, a fire started inside the local chemical plant and before you could snap your fingers, it exploded into flames. An alarm went out to the fire departments for miles around.
When the firefighters arrived, the chemical company president rushed to the fire chief and said, "All of our secret formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant. I will give $50,000 to the engine company that brings them out intact." The fire chief ordered his men to strengthen their attack on the blaze.

After two hours of fighting the fire another fire department was called in and the president of the chemical company offered $100,000 to the fire fighters who could bring out the secret files.

In the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the local volunteer fire company composed entirely of men over the age of 65. To everyone's amazement, the little fire engine raced passed everyone and drove straight into the middle of the inferno.
Outside the regular firemen watched as the old timers jumped off their rig and began to fight the fire with a performance and effort never seen before. Within a short time, the old timers extinguished the fire and saved the secret formulas.

The grateful chemical company president joyfully announced that for such a superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave, elderly, fire fighters. The local TV news reporters rushed in after capturing the event on film asking. "What are you going to do with all that money?" The 70-year-old fire chief answered, "Fix the brakes on the truck".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

after pulling various trailer's around with various truck's for 30 some odd years, Ive come to the conclusion that it's way better to have too much truck than too much trailer :!:

leanin' H said:
Justin said:

Here's a great joke found on this site's humor page that agree's with the stopping coments! :lol:

One dark night outside a small town, a fire started inside the local chemical plant and before you could snap your fingers, it exploded into flames. An alarm went out to the fire departments for miles around.
When the firefighters arrived, the chemical company president rushed to the fire chief and said, "All of our secret formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant. I will give $50,000 to the engine company that brings them out intact." The fire chief ordered his men to strengthen their attack on the blaze.

After two hours of fighting the fire another fire department was called in and the president of the chemical company offered $100,000 to the fire fighters who could bring out the secret files.

In the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the local volunteer fire company composed entirely of men over the age of 65. To everyone's amazement, the little fire engine raced passed everyone and drove straight into the middle of the inferno.
Outside the regular firemen watched as the old timers jumped off their rig and began to fight the fire with a performance and effort never seen before. Within a short time, the old timers extinguished the fire and saved the secret formulas.

The grateful chemical company president joyfully announced that for such a superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave, elderly, fire fighters. The local TV news reporters rushed in after capturing the event on film asking. "What are you going to do with all that money?" The 70-year-old fire chief answered, "Fix the brakes on the truck".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

After rolling a 16 foot bumper hitch, that was hooked on behind a '76 F-250, with 5 cows in it, I swore I would never own another bumper hitch trailer. Now 32 years later, I am looking for a bumper hitch trailer, but I will say, it will be hooked onto a 3/4 Dodge, and critters will be locked up so as not to allow the back end of the tow vehicle to either come off the ground, or smashed down to the point where its dragging. It also won't be used on the hiway.

There is NO WAY I would ever dream of pulling that big of trailer with your Nissan.

Bumper hitch trailers work well for lots of things. We use them more than we do our 24' gooseneck. It is sure easier to go on sandy roads through the hills with a bumper trailer. The box of the pickup is free to haul corral panels if they will be needed to load livestock, or to haul feed or other supplies home from town. Our pickups are mostly one-tonners, but they pull the 16' bumper trailers just a-sailing, with plenty of control. Recently, Peach and I traveled to southeastern Nebraska, and hauled home a team of draft horses along with a good-sized saddle mule in a sixteen-foot bumper trailer. The pickup we used was a 1997 F-350 crew cab 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel engine, and it didn't breathe any dust from anyone. Ten miles to the gallon going down empty and coming back loaded, it was the same either way.

LazyWP, if you are in the market for a good used bumper hitch trailer, give me a call. I might have just what you need. :wink:

I rolled my 20' gooseneck flatdeck with stockrack once! :oops:

In 2002 we bought 45 pairs and 18 breds from a couple who's family ranch had sold. We got their personal cows as they did not want the new manager to have them. I hired a liner to haul the pairs and I made 2 loads with our trailer.

The second load, I left home at 5 AM for the 3 hour drive to pick up the last 9 cows. Rounding a corner on Hwy 20 just west of Tatla Lake a sick, tick ridden cow moose thought she would cross the road in front of me. I locked up the brakes on the 550 and trailer and went fron 60 to 20 in short order. The moose decided she didn't want to cross about then and did a pirouette on the centerline and fell down. I swerved a little in order to miss her but ran over her head with the rear duals, spinning her in a half circle. The trailer swung out on the driver's side and both axles went right over her belly.

I didn't realize until just then that the hitch was nearly worn out, the trailer unhooked from the ball, rolled 3 times over the bank on the right hand side of the road and came to rest on it's wheels about 40 ft. below the road.

Moose was dead. I dragged her up the road a ways until I came to an old corner that had been cut off and left her there. Made my skin crawl to see the ticks she was carrying.

I then made my way a little farther to a fellow that owned a gravel truck. Fortunately he was up at 6:30 and had enough cables and chains to reach the trailer. We got it drug up to the road, hooked up again and was on my way with no other damage than a broken bead on one tire and a few of the metal stakes resembling piano keys.

The man who owns the store/service station at Tatla was kind enough to remount my tire at 7:30 AM, make me a cup of coffee and told me I'd had a bad enough day when I tried to pay him for his help.

All in all I was only 2 hours late to pick up the cows, just another day in the Chilcotin. :D

I did eventually replace the hitch but was sure glad the truck didn't go with the trailer that day. :wink:

If I read correctly, most of the proponets of this trailer had enough pickup to "toss it at will". I have pulled a 16 footer with a D-150 and snuck by, and I've drug one at will with an F-250, regular wheel base.
When I bought a trailer, the first one was a gooseneck. and I had enough pickup to toss that around. I still do,I think; but a handy sized bumper-pull could be darn useful, alot's; around here.
If the price is right...?

I don't know if Ranchers.net needs a story, but here's one anyway;
In the early eighties, I lived in Colorado, and my girlfriend's brother was loading up the show steers to go to the Weld Co Fair. I had slept in ,just past the first cup of coffee, but meanwhile he had loaded the tack box, a 55 gallon drum of water and hay, and grain(showfeed); in the front half of a 16 foot bumper hitch trailer. He then proceeded to load three 1200# dog-gentle steers behind the center gate. We made it to a paved county road, pulling this rig with a 3/4 ton Chevy four-wheel drive, 350 ci, of late seventies vintage.
About two hundred rpm's into 4th gear the trailer commenced to waggle. The driver's first reaction was to brake the outfit, when I commeneted(loudly); Just when it's behind you! After painting big (and I mean BIG) black esses for about 1/2 of a mile it straightened out enough to slow down and watch a trailer wheel go by on the right side. After we stopped the show, and he borrowed a neighbors trailer, we loaded it just the opposite; and wonder's of all it pulled just fine to the intended destination.
They're not Kidding about getting it stopped! But loaded right is halfway there.

Haytrucker said:
I don't know if Ranchers.net needs a story, but here's one anyway;
In the early eighties, I lived in Colorado, and my girlfriend's brother was loading up the show steers to go to the Weld Co Fair. I had slept in ,just past the first cup of coffee, but meanwhile he had loaded the tack box, a 55 gallon drum of water and hay, and grain(showfeed); in the front half of a 16 foot bumper hitch trailer. He then proceeded to load three 1200# dog-gentle steers behind the center gate. We made it to a paved county road, pulling this rig with a 3/4 ton Chevy four-wheel drive, 350 ci, of late seventies vintage.
About two hundred rpm's into 4th gear the trailer commenced to waggle. The driver's first reaction was to brake the outfit, when I commeneted(loudly); Just when it's behind you! After painting big (and I mean BIG) black esses for about 1/2 of a mile it straightened out enough to slow down and watch a trailer wheel go by on the right side. After we stopped the show, and he borrowed a neighbors trailer, we loaded it just the opposite; and wonder's of all it pulled just fine to the intended destination.
They're not Kidding about getting it stopped! But loaded right is halfway there.

Good story, but was your girlfriend cute? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts