• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Freeze the ponds

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mudhen

Reaction score
Have any of you put a salt block in the pond to keep it from freezing around it so the cattle can drink? If so does it kill the fish and what not in the pond?

It would set on the bottom and just the top would be out of the water. this is what a guy told me? I do not have a clue about it but if it would work and not kill my fish, shot I wouldn't have to get out to cut ice :lol: :lol:

Geez how much ice do you have to cut down there-were at ten inches now-just a nice workout every morning-I lied I use a powersaw lol.

Salt water freezes at 0 F (-20 C) We've been way below that in Canada for some time now. Would just have a blue lump froze in the pond here :)

we have tried the salt and it does work but after awhile it does dissovle and you are back to square one, besides we had a vet that said the salt water isn't good fer the cows.
Hey Jinglebob, will dynomite work too? :lol: :lol: :p :mrgreen: :cboy:

thank god i don't have to deal with ten inches of ice anymore
we used to live in wyoming and had to chop that kind of ice
but we'll have to chop some here thats four or five inches thick this morning
explosives would be nice but it's been so dry here that the only water we have comes from a pipeline into a stock tank

Jason said:
Salt water freezes at 0 F (-20 C) We've been way below that in Canada for some time now. Would just have a blue lump froze in the pond here :)

Ocean water freezes at 28.5 degrees F, and I'm not sure there is any concentration that will stay liquid below about 21F.

Latest posts