• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Freezing Rain and ice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
It rained quite heavy through the nite here and when we got up this morning everything was coated in about 2.5 inches of ice. Roads in this immediate area are not passable. Was damn near impossible to stay on the road with the Case IH this morning so I decided to feed the cows after lunch. Mfd didnt even help you stay on the road. Spread alittle gravel and sand around to give me some more traction. This is real wacky weather we are getting. I feel sorry for anyone having to travel around these parts today. Its dangerous. I think the hospitals will be busy looking after people with broken bones today. :(

Manitoba_Rancher said:
This is real wacky weather we are getting. :(

How true...Yesterday here was one of the nicest January days I ever saw- sunny, 50 degrees, no wind- just beautiful- hardly any snow left anywhere, just ice in the protected areas...Then this morning it started raining and the wind came up and it turned to snow- now getting snow squalls that sometimes make visibility pretty bad....

But I do have to give credit to both the weather boys and the Farmers Almanac-- they pretty well hit it this year so far when they predicted above normal temps and below normal moisture for the high plains...

Definitely an open winter- some of the oldtimers say that this has been the nicest January since 1947.

MR- Glad I did't get your rain- will take it in May.....

Yesterday was nice here and woke up this morning to one heck of a squall!!! Had me pretty darned worried about letting the 16 year old head off to "boze-angeles" for the Brad Paisley/Terry Clark concert this evening, but things have cleared up since then and she is off......gonna be praying tonight!! :?

MR---with your recent string of "luck", you had better take it easy and stay safe, my friend!!! :wink:

Thanks Ranchwife! WE were without power there for about 2 hours. Had jsut finished sorting some calves when all the yard lights at the feedlot went out. :? Then after supper everything came back on again. The highway a mile south of here has about 2 inches of ice on it. Sure hope the sun comes out. Looks like there we will have some more freezing rain through the night before it turns to snow and cools down a bit. Took quite a fall on the ice today sorting calves but other than a bruised elbow Im not too bad.

Send us all the snow and ice you don't want. We haven't had any rain since Oct, the temp yesterday was in the 70's, 40 mph wind and grass fires finally got us.

We were damn lucky not to lose any of the buildings, tractors or vehicles. We didn't have time to move all the equipment so the fire got 3 mowers, round bales and a hay rake. Could have been worse.

We have fire fighters from New Mexico up here helping with the fires and are glad to have them.

Where you at sp? What state?

Today is windy and it feels more like winter- temp is 28 instead of 48 :wink:

I heard on the radio today that up here the first two weeks of January have been the warmest since records were kept (1893)--with daily temps averaging 21 degrees above normal..They say their is no signs of any artic outbreak in the next two weeks, so are predicting this will be the warmest Jan on the books....

My records show last year with a high of -12 and a low of -37...
Normal for this date here is a high of 19 and a low of 1.....

OT - We are located in Okla.
Our average rainfall is over 40"/yr and we are at about half that.

sp said:
OT - We are located in Okla.
Our average rainfall is over 40"/yr and we are at about half that.

Sorry to hear about the fire...

My sister has a little place west of Austin Texas- She is in about the same situation for moisture...I talked to her last week and they were feeding their cows and were running electricity down to a well they haven't used in years, because they thought their creek and springs were going to go dry...

Really screwy weather pattern this year.....

Manitoba_Rancher said:
It rained quite heavy through the nite here and when we got up this morning everything was coated in about 2.5 inches of ice. Roads in this immediate area are not passable. Was damn near impossible to stay on the road with the Case IH this morning so I decided to feed the cows after lunch. Mfd didnt even help you stay on the road. Spread alittle gravel and sand around to give me some more traction. This is real wacky weather we are getting. I feel sorry for anyone having to travel around these parts today. Its dangerous. I think the hospitals will be busy looking after people with broken bones today. :

That's our weather, give it back. :evil: Normally don't want the ice, but will take any kind of precip. I don't know who's weather we have , but would like to send it back to them. :???:

[/b]

Latest posts