• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Friday's Cow Workin

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Well, we worked cows Friday.

First view of the day looked like it was gonna be a slow day LOL
2007-04-27-025Turtle.jpg

Mr Lilly gittin the fire goin.
2007-04-27-028Fire.jpg

Got em bunched up
2007-04-27-038Holdin-em.jpg

Pushin em towards the corrals.
2007-04-27-040Pushin-em.jpg

Almost there....
2007-04-27-044Almost-there.jpg

Git on in there!!!
2007-04-27-048git-in-there.jpg

Sortin cows from calves
2007-04-27-052Sortin.jpg

Vaccinatin
2007-04-27-056Vaccinatin.jpg

Freezer Beef...gettin cut, he'll go in the pens with Lil Lilly's show heifers and be fed out.
2007-04-27-057Freezer-Beef.jpg

Pushin em into the alley. Last of the cows before Dinner break. Wheww!!
2007-04-27-062AlleyPush-1.jpg

The guys fixin their plates.
2007-04-27-064BBQ.jpg

T-bone Steaks, beans n tater salad .......
2007-04-27-065Lunch-break.jpg

One of our help has a broke arm......that hasn't been set yet, he is scheduled to have surgery day after tomorrow, and was only supposed to cook, he couldn't stand sittin out, so helped throw calves "one armed" :roll:
2007-04-27-068brokearm.jpg

Gittin an ear tag
2007-04-27-069Taggin.jpg

Lil Lilly showed up after school was out, and the first thing she said was, "Can someone loan me a horse?"......there she goes. LOL
2007-04-27-070Amanda-Showdu.jpg

Perdy baby, with a fresh ear tag, and a brand new blackleg ear notch.
2007-04-27-071Perdy-baby.jpg

Men at work.....
2007-04-27-075guys.jpg

Action!!!!!! Look at that face LOL
2007-04-27-076Whattaface.jpg

Cuttin one
2007-04-27-078cuttin-one.jpg

Boot, Spur n a stirrup.......
2007-04-27-080bootstirrup.jpg

That's a really good "action" picture, lilly. T-bone steaks? No wonder it looks like you have plenty of help. :lol:

Looks like you n tha boys had a productive day,cows all look to be in good flesh,thanks for the picture story....................good luck

Good pics (of course). :D

Interesting way that feller has of holdin' them back legs while he's cuttin' them.

I see Soapweed would approve of the gather, as you had a good cowdog out front, leadin' them in. :lol:

Did you just cook the steaks in the BBQ'er? Over coals? Or simmer in a pot?

Thanks for postin' these.

And tell Mr Lilly, we just got to get him a hat! :shock:

:wink:

Great pictures Lily! I laughed right out loud when Jinglebob said Mr. Lily needed a hat! I was thinking the same thing. :shock: LOL!

LOL @ get him a hat. he's got several and just about refuses to wear one. I don't know why, but that's just the way he is. His face was plenty red after all was said n done.

Steaks were cooked on the bbq grill....indirect heat. The end that the pot is sittin on is where the firebox is at.....took all of maybe 15 minutes to do the steaks. I had beans in the pot that I'd cooked the night before....and they had to be taken off the firebox because they got to rockin n rollin (boilin) and I didnt want em to burn. I made the tater salad the night before also, and put it in a plastic pickle jug. Works great.....cuz ya can stick it in the ice chest n keep it cold.

Funny you should mention the cowdogs out in front. The fellas that bring their dogs when we work cows, flat refuse to use a dog that won't stay in front. Case in point, one of the females friday came close to gettin a bullet, for not stayin in front. Lady friend that came out to help, rescued her. Her name previously was "you counterfeit *&^%*&" but now her name is "Lucky". (Lucky to be alive) She's a black mouth cur. Real sweet disposition, and now has a new home. Seems to be gettin along real well with this ladies horses. She's got her tied at the barn.
I understand her point in savin the dog, but I also understand the guys that work these dogs....this is their lively hood, they work for a livin workin cows for other people, and if the dog doesn't do what it's supposed to, they can't afford to keep and feed everyone that doesn't work out.

The reason for the T-Bone steaks is cuz that's what we had the most of in the freezer. Just about done ate up all of the steer we had butchered last summer. I'd much rather have a serloin, but thats just my personal preference. This new "freezer beef" better hurry up cuz we'll be eatin lots of taters till then LOL

Jinglebob said:
Interesting way that feller has of holdin' them back legs while he's cuttin' them.

Yep- If I tried that I'd have a knife thru my hand--(which I already done once cutting studs :oops: )

Oldtimer said:
Jinglebob said:

Yep- If I tried that I'd have a knife thru my hand--(which I already done once cutting studs :oops: )

Gee OT you read my mind.

looks like they are necking those calves. Seems to be a bit more runnin' around then i would like.

Finally ....it's so good to get pictures from you again...! Looks like ya'll had a great day. As usual, you've got some great shots there...yur countryside is so pretty and green, and lots of shade trees to work under...that'd be nice...Great job Lilly!

Big Muddy rancher said:
Seems to be a bit more runnin' around then i would like.

Different strokes for different folks.

Unlike you, I ain't afraid to look at and maybe try different things, you ol "stick in the mud". :p

'Sides, you wasn't there was you? Maybe they needed to chase that one.

Critizize , critizize. Your gettin' as bad as a few other on here. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like your pictures, Jersey Lilly. It appears that you picked a beautiful day, the cattle got worked, and everyone had a great time doing it. My tummy is gurlgling just thinking about those juicy T-bone steaks. :wink: Thanks for posting your photos. :)

Hahaha these two fellers are teamropers. one's a header, one's a heeler.....I think it kinda carries over into the cow workin pen. It don't really matter to me which end they catch as long as no one gets hurt doin it. I really wanted to get the "Soapweed calf catcher thing" built before we worked.....but that hasn't happened yet. (oh well, in good time)
We worked most of the calves in the panelled off area. Not much fast movin done by anyone in there, but there was a couple calves that meandered out into the big part of the corrals while others were on the ground taggin and vaccinatin. The one he's after is one of those, the calf perdy much stayed on the run, so David kicked the horse up into gear and went after it. no biggie.
Everyone does things different, but that doesn't mean anyone's wrong...whatever works for ya. :D That's what makes lookin at everyone's pictures so much fun. Brangus, and Bramer cross and strait Bramer cattle are alot different than workin Herefords, and strait angus. We do have some of those too....and yes they are alot calmer in the pens, alley, and chute. But they aren't what does best in this climate. Crosses of those...definately....but ya gotta have some ear...and with that ear comes a lil bit of attitude. It always amazes me tho that the one's with attitude in the pens..or when they have a new calf......will still follow me around in the truck and eat outta my hand in the pasture. :? Go figure.

great pic's lilly
looks like things went well
it's plain that ya'll brought some of the working style back with you from west texas
when i lived down there i don't remember anyone dragging calves
we just put them in the crowding pen and grabbed them and flanked em and went to work
i preffer to drag them myself
until later
jerry

Definately full tummies...lol almost too full....none of us wanted to get back to work after lunch break. Good thang I didnt make desert...which I would have but didnt have time. We'd have all looked like beached whales over by the BBQ pit LOL

I agree that the action shot made a neat picture, jersey lilly. And the green you have. :shock: I think I saw that ONCE here. :wink: Good job in carrying on the western tradition. :!:

Latest posts