• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Friday's Happenings

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Today was a really beautiful day. Sun shining, warm...very little wind.

This is a wisteria bloomin in my front yard
2008-03-21-002wisteria.jpg

Here it is up close..one little blossom on the grape cluster lookin bloom.
2008-03-21-005.jpg

Then we went to help out a neighbor rancher, his ranch hand is gone for the Easter weekend. He had this one stuck in a tank...
2008-03-21-012.jpg

Mr Lilly tryin to get the tow strap just right.
2008-03-21-026.jpg

Pulllllllll!!....the strap was tied to the lil toyota truck I was drivin.
2008-03-21-028.jpg

Her herd mates carryin on with more important things.
2008-03-21-032.jpg

We got her out, looked around to the far side, and daggumed if there wasn't another not so lucky one stuck. She didn't make it. We went and pulled her out, and off away from the tank. Then came back to see if this one would go ahead and get up with a lil coaxin. She wouldn't. So we left her to hopefully rest and recover.
2008-03-21-038.jpg

While Mr Lilly and Lil Lilly's feller, went on about their rat killin. We went out to the pasture, rode around lookin at all the newest babies. And we found this???
2008-03-21-039.jpg

And she did this to it.....
2008-03-21-040.jpg

It had the consistancy of a weird sponge. We found another one, that was white in the middle, and it looked like boiled egg whites. Strange huh....anyone know what it is??? I figure it is some kinda mushroom/toadstool/fungus ???

The dewberries are bloomin
2008-03-21-043.jpg

Yeap...used my macro settin
2008-03-21-044.jpg

Here's Lil Lilly sittin amongst em. They aren't very big. (Note...she's got knees in her jeans :p )
2008-03-21-047.jpg

And here's somethin a lil special for everyone. Wishing you all a Happy Easter. The dogwoods are bloomin!!!! They are gorgeous!!!!
2008-03-21-050Dogwoods.jpg

She sure is :) She sure has made you guys pretty proud of her....such a nice young lady.

Thanks for all the pics you share, Lily. I know I don't respond to all of them but I sure do like to see them. Makes me wishful for spring since this AM we woke up to 4" of snow outside :shock: Heavy, wet stuff and melting like crazy here. When it's gone we'll see some green :D

The wisteria is so pretty. Maybe viewing these pictures will give me some ambition over this Easter break to start some yard clean up. :? Thanks for posting.

Thanks ya'll...yeap we are very proud of her.

I did the yard clean up thing a few weeks ago. Raked and burned leaves, and other numerous objects layin around LOL Love doin that......cuz if I start somethin like that, I'm guaranteed help....Mr. Lilly is fraid I'll burn somethin important. So it don't take long for him to come on out and help.

Spent today barrel racin....she got to make a trip to the pay window...always nice when that happens. :D

If I had a tank like that, I would try fencing it out. Put in a small solar pump that would pump water into a tire for stock water with the overflow back into the earthen tank. Saw some like that in New Mexico only with windmill to circulate the water. But, then what do I know about ranching in Texas?????????? I will answer that---NOTHING---but you probably have guessed that already. Judging from the ear on those cattle, you have a heat and bug problem that I wouldn't know how to deal with. Looks like you have spring lurking around the corner there--nice.

Shortgrass....we all have stock tanks like that down here. It's the way we water our cattle. BUT........I will say this...you do hafta do maintenance on them after they've been used for years. The sides get steep after years of cows goin in and out of the tanks. It's a simple fix.....wait till July/August when the tanks are low.....take a blade and knock off the sharp steep edges and smooth them back out. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one of our tanks to show the difference in one that's maintained, and this one that hasn't been.

Are those tanks like dugouts filled by runoff from rain? Our problem with those types of water bodies is cows breaking trough the ice. We have all of ours fenced and use pumps to water the cows.

That is one large puffball! It is old, and when you stomp them they puff brown dust, so we kids loved finding them. :D

Gorgeous blooms - I'm so jealous! Someone said there were crocuses out here on the hills but I haven't been out to see for myself yet.

DJL said:
That is one large puffball! It is old, and when you stomp them they puff brown dust, so we kids loved finding them. :D

Gorgeous blooms - I'm so jealous! Someone said there were crocuses out here on the hills but I haven't been out to see for myself yet.

DJL......I guess it is the same thing. We have those that when they are dried up, you step on them and they puff green "smoke"....but we've never seen em this big before. And apparently this one wasn't "ripe/dried" yet. I know it isn't old, because where we found them, I was only there a week or so ago drivin around and they weren't there.

:shock:
Did brown dust come out of it when you opened it up? We call them devil's snuff boxes, if that is one, it's the biggest I've ever seen. We used to stomp on them as kids, to watch the "snuff" billow out. Wow!

Latest posts