• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

frost already

Help Support Ranchers.net:

peacecountry

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had frost yet this summer .This morning it froze for the third time in about 5 days seems kinda early to think about the firewood pile :cry: hope everybody has a good indain summer.

Got close last night. We just need 2 more weeks to ripen this crop. That's not much to ask in the end of August is it? :???: :???: :lol: :cry:

I saw frost flowers for the first time yesterday, which should give us about 6 more weeks till frost. A pretty good snow on Pikes Peak a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 64, our first significant cool down of the summer. I suppose that sounds pretty mild to you guys up North, but pretty harsh to our Southern friends.

Shortgrass said:
I saw frost flowers for the first time yesterday, which should give us about 6 more weeks till frost. A pretty good snow on Pikes Peak a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 64, our first significant cool down of the summer. I suppose that sounds pretty mild to you guys up North, but pretty harsh to our Southern friends.
Are frost flowers the fall equivalent to the crocus in the spring? We are fair game for a killing frost any time now. It will be quite a wreck if we don't get the 2 weeks I am hoping for.

Hasn't froze yet, but dang close. The last 2 mornings were +1, that's about as close as it gets. Sure would be nice to make it another couple of weeks.

Is there actually a week of the year elsewhere that doesn't get frost? It's -3 C here on the hill this morning. The potato plant project froze off a week ago.

gcreekrch said:
Is there actually a week of the year elsewhere that doesn't get frost? It's -3 C here on the hill this morning. The potato plant project froze off a week ago.
University Of Wyoming Extension will not list Star Valley a growing season as possable frost 365 days a year. Jackson Hole atleast get a frost free peiod listed.... :?

jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:
University Of Wyoming Extension will not list Star Valley a growing season as possable frost 365 days a year. Jackson Hole atleast get a frost free peiod listed.... :?

An old agrologist friend of ours said the climate here was condusive to growing turnips........ as long as the were planted with long underwear. :D

jodywy said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Goodness....it'll be 3 more months before we even think about MAYBE havin frost. LOL
but all the cold and snow keeps the riff-raff out :eek: :shock: :D
Not so here jodywy, the riff-raff just whine about the cold.

I really don'r know. a week ago someone posted that we had a low here of 52-53 degrees two nights in a row. Saturday we had a high of 102 degrees, yesterday it was 98.

My Mother's birthday was Sept. 17, I alway figured we could expect a killing frost sometime during the week where the 17th fell. Sometimes it came a littet earlies, sometimes later though.

I live on higher ground sort of a hill top, The earliest killing frost I remember was on Sept 4. I don't remember very many times when frost held off until the first of October.

This has been a cool year here but TV is saying 98° today and hotter tomorrow - that'll make the 5th and 6th "warm" day this year - Not hot weather yet... The average has been about 85° so far - I'm expecting lots of tomatoes in the next days..

The Canadian cold front hit here last night- gave us another 1/4 inch of rain-- and its plumb chilly out there this morning with the temps in the 40's and the wind...But they are predicting temps back up around 100 on Thursday...Lot of hay and grain here still needing to be cut...

per said:
jodywy said:
Goodness....it'll be 3 more months before we even think about MAYBE havin frost. LOL
but all the cold and snow keeps the riff-raff out :eek: :shock: :D
Not so here jodywy, the riff-raff just whine about the cold.

Speaking of "riff-raff"- while I was waiting for the PBR to come on last night- I watched the show "Swamp People"-- and that head Cajun of the show said that the Cajuns of Louisiana originally came from Canada...They were "riff-raff" kicked out by the Canadians...
IS that true... :???:

In 1755, as war neared between France and England, the British authorities demanded that the Acadians renounce their Roman Catholic faith and swear allegiance to the Crown. The Acadians refused and the mass exile that followed is well known to all who have read Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Evangeline".

Those that went to Louisiana are known as Cajuns. So yes...in a way it's true...but I don't concider leaving somewhere because of religious reasons enough to call them "riff raff" LOL

The Cajun dialect is part french part english...and very hard to understand LOL

Oldtimer said:
Speaking of "riff-raff"- while I was waiting for the PBR to come on last night- I watched the show "Swamp People"-- and that head Cajun of the show said that the Cajuns of Louisiana originally came from Canada...They were "riff-raff" kicked out by the Canadians...
IS that true... :???:

That's the way I learned it in school, they were Acadians first.

In 1755, as war neared between France and England, the British authorities demanded that the Acadiansrenounce their Roman Catholic faith and swear allegiance to the Crown. The Acadiansrefused and the mass exile that followed is well known to all who haveread Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Evangeline". Those that went to Louisiana are known as Cajuns. So yes...in a way it's true...but I don't concider leaving somewhere because ofreligiousreasons enough to call them "riff raff" LOL The Cajun dialect is part french part english...and very hard to understand LOL

Thanks Lilly-- yeah I can only understand about 1/2 of what they say on that show--but it was fun to watch last night as it was alligator season- and they were putting out set lines and catching/hunting for alligators....

Amen. The heat index here Monday and Tuesday was 128° F. Frost sounds pretty nice right now.

Latest posts