• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fun City!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
WhitetailDoe010.jpg

Just at dark found 'Sweetums' with his head stuck in a balefeeder-the only way I could get himout was to get in it and let him hook at me till he tipped a horn out. Kind of rancher aerobics with an edge lol.

Northern Rancher said:
WhitetailDoe010.jpg

Just at dark found 'Sweetums' with his head stuck in a balefeeder-the only way I could get him out was to get in it and let him hook at me till he tipped a horn out. Kind of rancher aerobics with an edge lol.
NR - Now that is what I call a REAL friend - to make yourself a "target for Death" just to get your 'sweetums' friend out of trouble. You deserve some kind of medal for that heroism. How about - - The ABCDEFGH Trophy? :shock: :p It is a Loving Cup draped with "4" bloody bandages and wrapped with barbed wire - Silver Plated, of course! The ABCDEFGH stands for - "American Beef Cattle Distinguished Effort-Four Garland Honor". And I'll bet "sweetums" doesn't even appreciate your sacrifice! Probably try to "hook" you again if he get's caught again. Next time just saw off one horn!

DOC HARRIS

His whole head, horns and all, would make a nice taxidemi wall thingy.
A beautiful beastie.

I've put up with that moserable S.O.B all these years just dreaming of the hat rack for my wall-no way in hell I was cutting off a horn to get him out of there-besides he wasn't really in a mood to stand still while I did that-would of had to Texas Chainsaw Massacre on him with my powersaw lol. When your taking twines off bales he's got a little trick of hooking within about a half inch of your back-sure hope he doesn't lose his depth perception as he gets older. He sure is pretty though!!!

'Sweetums' .... meet "Romeo"

Romeo6791Summer2005.jpg

Sweetums has a much nicer horn set - I like the "hook" better.

Romeo is headed for a full head mount ... someday! I was hoping his horn mass would grow - horns stopped, body never :shock:
I bought a itty-bitty little jersey milkcow that was suppose to freshen around Valentine's Day - THIS came out on June 5th (about 6 or 7 years ago)!!

Things tend to get hornier the farther north you go-(did I say that out loud) lol. Connie maybe we should hook those two freeloaders up together and make a hitch of oxen.

Northern Rancher said:
Things tend to get hornier the farther north you go-(did I say that out loud) lol. Connie maybe we should hook those two freeloaders up together and make a hitch of oxen.

Okay ... you do the hitch'n and I'll stand by and do the picture taking :wink: - LOL

They would look pretty neat hooked up though - could be pretty competitive in a heavy hitch pull - you could be the entertainment during the horse-pull competition at Agribition :shock: (I'd even pay your way)

(and yes you said that out loud) :roll:

Northern Rancher said:
I thought Don and Darby could do the breaking you could take pictures and I could promote the event lol.

Well if we leave it up to Don and Darby ... Sweetums and Romeo would be broke :shock: up into little pieces for Salami :!:
And I could take the pictures and send them into SSI for the pasture to plate deal they have ....BUT

..... I'm not sure you could handle promoting the event with Porker :p 8) :shock: :lol:

Here's a yoke of oxen you can drool over. They were along Highway 73 south of Longvalley, South Dakota, this morning as Saddletramp and I drove to a horse sale at Philip.

Noproblemsmate.jpg

No problems, mate
Apairtodrawto.jpg

A pair to draw to
Bigasanox.jpg

Big as an ox
Allsteer.jpg

All steer
Theotherone.jpg

The other one

Nice pics soapweed,
this seems kinda wierd to me, all these "texas longhorns" in other parts of the world, we dont see em that much here.
And I was just noticin, that's a awful short 4 barbwire fence. Least it looks that way, mine would be over n gone in a heartbeat.

These oxen are gentle and sure broke to pull a load. I've seen them pulling a wagon in parades through the years. Think they are fairly old and tractable these days, and they are running with some good Angus yearling steers.

Soapweed - now those are something to be appreciated!

I don't think I'll show Romeo those pics, they'll break his heart as he thinks he's pretty special with the group of black cows he runs with.
BTW - the neighbors named him Romeo because of that.

The one that stood in the left-hand wind to long reminds me of that kid's cartoon where the steer has movable horns and uses them to point different directions - can't think of it?!?!?

LOL - just looked back at Romeo, he's pathetic compared to these two of yours Soapweed!

Soapweed said:
These oxen are gentle and sure broke to pull a load. I've seen them pulling a wagon in parades through the years. Think they are fairly old and tractable these days, and they are running with some good Angus yearling steers.

Does their owner use them for any other work besides parades or are these guys pets

My big steer who looked like that, is now about ready to be a hat rack in the house. He got lump jaw and it didn't go away and I had to put him out of his misery.

I bought him as a yearling and he was supposed to be my lead steer, but he liked to stay with the cows. The skull doesn't look nearly as big as when he was alive. 6 feet from tip to tip, straight across.

He was nine years old and stood about 15, 2 hands at the withers. Gentle, but would jump or hop over any fence on the place if the grass was better or you had him penned too long. We used to get him inside the shed every spring to see how big he was getting.

He'd jump over a 5 foot corral panel, flat footed, until he got to be older. He might have then, but we didn't give him the chance. During calving, if the cows were around the buildings, he'd jump a fence and then walk inside my old horse barn, thru' a 3 foot door. Just wiggled his horns and worked his way in. He was pretty handy with those horns.
Once he was with the drop bunch and a neighbors bull got out and jumped in with the cows. He left a small hole in the bull and rasn him off from "his" cows. He never bothered my bulls, tho', during breeding season. Seen him baby settin' lots of calves while the others were off grazing. I hope to find another one, one of theses days. May have to buy a longhorn bull calf and cut him as that seems to be the best way to get the longest horns.

I was at the big spring bull sale they used to have in Sturgis- We were in the Philtown having a few wobbly pops with a couple cow traders. One of them had bought two real pretty two year old Longhorn bulls at the sale. The seller walked in and asked him how many heifers he was breeding. He said "None -the salebarn crew just cut both of them for lead steers'. One mistake we made with our big steer was sorting himoff first after he led the yearlings into a pen-he got wise and would just walk in and then turn around and walk right back to the gate-sometimes before the rest of the cattle had got in. They do get to be real characters though.

Latest posts