• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Funniest Thing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
What are some of your funniest deals you've seen. We were moving a bunch of cows and my buddy was riding an old percheron/QH cross gelding-steady and quiet as a dead pig. They rode up ahead to block a sideroad and were just kind of passing time waiting for cows to pass. Old Leonard the horse was eating sow thistle and pulled one out by the roots-the clump of dirt spooked him and he started to get in on in a spin. The problem was he wouldn't open his mouth to drop him so it kept chasing him. My bud never came off but it wasn't pretty and Leonard had a few different names.

had a neighbor once that had the reputation of being a good cowboy,and he did alot of rope'n of the wild or loose cattle in the neighborhood.and occasionally a mean one.
he was hired to rope this wild,mean, horned,cow.by the time he got her up to a make-shift corral,she was ready to fight.
the funny part was the big palomino he was riding,would take care of herself and would turn and wallop that cow with a good contact.soon the rider just baled off and waited for the truck and trailer.

that well trained horse soon had that cow broke to stand and eager to load.

Ok this one happened to me.

Was helping our friends moving some of their neighbors cattle. Was riding a green 2yo gelding. He played out and I loaded him into the trailer and got on their spare horse Easy.
Saddle didn't fit, but I went ahead to riding.

Had a pair make a break across a field, I goosed this horse to go after them. He took off and got the bit between his teeth took a right turn ran across a road and jumped off a 3' embankment. I got loose in the saddle and all I had time to do was yell my friends name.
Then I was rolling head over tail in a stubble field.
came to rest on my back with my right shoulder dislocated. Friend put it back in for me.

Ever after I called her horse Easy Off. :lol: :lol:
Drove her crazy. :lol: :D

As a teen-age boy, after riding horseback to do necessary cattle work, I'd unsaddle at the barn and then crawl back on my sweaty horse bareback to ride to the house. Neck-reining the horse with just my hands, as we passed by the house I'd bail off. This was a successful deal for several times, but one day I did it when the other loose horses were just out beyond the corral. After getting on bareback, the horse took off running to join his companions. He loped along a fence with overhanging tree branches and scraped me off in the dirt. My concerned younger sisters witnessed the event and came running over to see if I was hurt. It took a little bit to get back the wind that was knocked out of me, but soon I was able to get on my feet. My sister, Sandra, with a mischevious twinkle in her eye, said, "It would be understandable that you would do this if there were any elible girls to impress, but we wonder why you did it for just your sisters." :wink:

Another deal comes to mind. My dad was riding Smokey, a nice looking tall grey four-year-old gelding that he had raised. I was 11 years old and was riding that horse's three-year-old brown-colored sister, who was named Nickolena. The two of us were trailing about fifty yearling heifers to a north pasture, and were passing by a shallow pond of about an acre in size. Instead of continuing on to the north, the heifers stayed by the edge of the pond and circled around it. Knowing the pond wasn't very deep, my dad loped across the water to turn them. The horse tripped and fell down, and Dad fell spread-eagled right into the water. I hid my mirth, because Pappy wasn't very happy. :wink:

When I was a pup, my Dad had a leased pasture we ran 40 head of pairs on. He had went up alone to start them for home so Mom and us kids drove up to take him lunch. As we made the bend just where we could see him, his old "Red Rooster" horse took to flight. He just blew up and went to bucking. Dad stayed with him for ten or twelve jump but finally ended up bucked off right in the middle of a huge Rabbit brush. He no sooner hit the ground than out of the brush popped his head on a swivel lloking to see if anybody had saw what happened. When he saw us sitting there in the truck he gritted his teeth together like he does when he's ticked and came stomping down the road to gather up his horse. Mom was draped over the steering wheel laughing while at the same time telling us kids to be quiet and please don't laugh at Dad! She though it was funny as heck! But she managed to collect herself before Dad got to the truck. :D

A few of us were riding home from a gather down a long slow grade. A old friend was riding with us and his horse stumbled and did a complete somersault. Red went off over the front and did his own somersault and came up on his feet. :D
After that we always teased him about riding his trick horse. :D
Pretty lucky he didn't get hurt but it was sure funny when he didn't.

We have an underpass between the yard and one pasture-at the time I was broinging cows into A'I-I'd bring them to the underpass-tie up my horse then crawl along the fence over the road and take them about 75 yards up the alley. This was getting kind of old so I thought if I hung off the side I could probably just ride through after them. I did my best comanche but about halfway through i started banging on the side and my horse gave a little buck caught the saddle horn-then really cut loose. Tore the horn off and scuffed me up a bit lol.

When I was about 8 or 9 Dad and I rode across the coullee to the neighbor's to help move cow's, Dad was leading Mom's horse (that he never realy got along with, story for the arab thread :) as she drove the truck around by the road. When we came to the creek crossing (maybe 3' wide by 2' deep, steep slope's on each side) Dad's horse proceeded to jump the creek and the led saddle horse procceded to pull back :) Being as he had the lead rope tied to his horn this caused his saddle horse to stop rather abrubtly in mid flight and land in the creek....I guess the politicly correct phrase to use would be that Dad became un-seated :) in the following meellee as he came off the lead rope took a full turn around the shank of his spur...with one horse scrambling to get out of the creek and one horse fighting being drug into the creek Dad is now hanging upside down between them picking flower's with both hand's trying to get anywhere's besides where he is....... after a few second's 4-5? his boot came off and went spinning throught the air, he landed in the creek... the horse's run off...and I got yelled at to catch the $%#% horse's. The horse's stopped in a fence corner about 1/2 a mile down the cut line and thing's were pretty quite when I brought them back and Dad re-mounted....a couple of miles down the trail he looked over at me and said "boy your eye's where as big as saucer's!" I replied " YOU THINK MY EYE'S WERE BIG!!" and it kinda got to be a say'ing between us that is still heard occasionasly when the dust settles :)

Bruce said:
When I was about 8 or 9 Dad and I rode across the coullee to the neighbor's to help move cow's, Dad was leading Mom's horse (that he never realy got along with, story for the arab thread :) as she drove the truck around by the road. When we came to the creek crossing (maybe 3' wide by 2' deep, steep slope's on each side) Dad's horse proceeded to jump the creek and the led saddle horse procceded to pull back :) Being as he had the lead rope tied to his horn this caused his saddle horse to stop rather abrubtly in mid flight and land in the creek....I guess the politicly correct phrase to use would be that Dad became un-seated :) in the following meellee as he came off the lead rope took a full turn around the shank of his spur...with one horse scrambling to get out of the creek and one horse fighting being drug into the creek Dad is now hanging upside down between them picking flower's with both hand's trying to get anywhere's besides where he is....... after a few second's 4-5? his boot came off and went spinning throught the air, he landed in the creek... the horse's run off...and I got yelled at to catch the $%#% horse's. The horse's stopped in a fence corner about 1/2 a mile down the cut line and thing's were pretty quite when I brought them back and Dad re-mounted....a couple of miles down the trail he looked over at me and said "boy your eye's where as big as saucer's!" I replied " YOU THINK MY EYE'S WERE BIG!!" and it kinda got to be a say'ing between us that is still heard occasionasly when the dust settles :)

THAT is a great story Bruce!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about a good ending to what could of been a bad wreck! AWESOME! :lol:

When I was about 5 Dad had a crew getting the cows off an island and out of a river pasture so we could brand. I was up in a corral on an old gentle saddle horse. We went out the back gate and he started running toward the other horses and a big jump across a big ditch I guess my hold on the old brass saddle horn wasn't tight enough.... but I never hit the ground. The hood on the sweatshirt caught that old brass horn and now there a kid hanging buy is shirt and hood off the side of the running horse. Story said there was a balling kid that rode home in front of dad.

Well I guess every kid in the area learned to ride on BILLY
Boob Heard as dad called him was ridin Billy - we had been to a rodeo the day before and Boob Head asked me how to tie one end of his rope to the saddle horn - I tied an eye in the end and slipped a loop around his horn - he had been ropin fence post - this time he roped the Mail Box and Post as a car came by - he rode to the side of the rode - When he rode back to the rode the mail box post broke and off went Billy with a flyin mail box chasing Him - we jumped into the truck and chased them 1/4 mile, down to the RR Track where we found Billy and Boobhead both shaking like a leaf and Boobhead still had both hands on the Horn, hangin on for dear life

Richard and I made a make shift harness so we could hook it to the Tongue of our Red Rider Wagon - no reins, just Billy running free on a dirt track.
As Billy came buy me I through a old broken limb under him - off he went - bucking with the wagon hump-up-and-down chasing him - Richard lasted one jump...

George - When we were young Richard's Dad use to buy pony's for us to break for sale.
This one Big Black and White Pony, a "War Bonnet Paint", (Horses were Paint or Pintos before the 60's - Later came the "Paints Horses Breed" and the colored horse [Registry])
Anyway I this pony was always touch on the rump, and I could not get him over that :evil: - - Well this day I was showing the pony for a buyer when George wanted to ride him - He rode up to the buyer on the fence and was telling them HOW gentle it was as he turned 90° to face them and put his right hand on it's rump - he as on the ground and lost a sale so fast...

The lesson:
In those day our Square Bails weighed around 165#. George tied that pony in a Tie Stall in the barn and hung a bail from the rafters so it touched the pony's hind quarters - the pony kicked the bail - it swung way out and came back to knock the pony up-in-to the manger - the next AM that pony was plum Gentle.

OldDog/NewTricks said:
George - When we were young Richard's Dad use to buy pony's for us to break for sale.
This one Big Black and White Pony, a "War Bonnet Paint", (Horses were Paint or Pintos before the 60's - Later came the "Paints Horses Breed" and the colored horse [Registry])
Anyway I this pony was always touch on the rump, and I could not get him over that :evil: - - Well this day I was showing the pony for a buyer when George wanted to ride him - He rode up to the buyer on the fence and was telling them HOW gentle it was as he turned 90° to face them and put his right hand on it's rump - he as on the ground and lost a sale so fast...

The lesson:
In those day our Square Bails weighed around 165#. George tied that pony in a Tie Stall in the barn and hung a bail from the rafters so it touched the pony's hind quarters - the pony kicked the bail - it swung way out and came back to knock the pony up-in-to the manger - the next AM that pony was plum Gentle.

seen
a pack saddle put on a horse that liked to buck when kicked or a little knee pressure , they put a one salt block in each panyard and not lash them down.... then just leave the horse in a corral.

In Nov. 1969, my Dad was riding a quarter horse mare that his brother in law brought from an Illinois race track. She was a knot head, but Dad was determined to make a cow horse out of her. He was moving cows down hill when she started bucking and she bucked hard. The latigo broke and Dad and the saddle went flying thru the air. Granddad was behind the hill in the pickup when a horse went flying by him with no rider and no saddle. When he found Dad, Dad was in the sagebrush, sitting in his saddle and still spurring like crazy. Dad was knocked coukoo and never did remember the event. I was a baby and didn't see it of course, but I like the story.

Latest posts